main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA We Want Bubba's Reviews! (no really...)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AniPadmeLurker, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I finally saw Transformers and was rather bored with it. The effects were amazing, but the story just didn't do it for me. Was I the only one to notice that everytime they did a close-up of a bystander in peril it was a woman in a short halter dress? And, why the heck didn't anybody ever hear the multi-tonned creature moving around? It was too much for me. Guess I wasn't the demographic they were gunning for, though I can see why most everyone else liked it.

Personally, I wanted to see the Simpsons, but there was too long of a line.

2. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, my friend and I waited in line for an hour so we would get good seats, even though we had purchased tickets the day before. That's the kind of thing you need to do though, if you want to see a big movie on opening weekend. Believe me, it was worse with Dead Man's Chest than it was with Simpsons.

And I think the reason nobody saw Frnzy )the little Decepticon) was because he tried very hard to blend in. Whenever someone turned his way, he was transformed. Also, I think that the noises he made were actually pretty quiet and only amplified for the viewer.

3. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Last night I went to a screening at the Academy for Born on the Fourth of July. It isn't the feel good movie of the summer that's for sure. However I think it is a very important film. It has many things in common with what is going on today. Oliver Stone and Ron Kovic (the man who wrote the book in which the film was about) were both there and that was a real treat.

4. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Is that a remake of the old movie in which Tom Cruise played a paraplegic antiwar activist Vietnam War veteran? (Run on sentence anyone?)

5. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    VK2, I belive that there is only one version of this movie, and so I would assume it is the one SR saw last night.

I would also like to add that John Williams wrote a wonderful score for this film.

6. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Yeah, there is no remake. It was the original from 1989. I've been going every Monday to a series called Great to Be Nominated, which shows a Best Picture nominated movie each week starting with 1977 and Star Wars. Next week it is the Godfather Part III.

7. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    Weren't we talking about this director recently?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-me-antonioni1aug1,0,7016249.story?coll=la-home-entertainment

8. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Well what do you know. That is a strange.

9. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    This is very sad. We have lost one of the greatest cinematic storytellers of all time. :_|

10. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Poor guy. He may be gone, but his movies lives on!

This only persuades me more to achieve immortality!

11. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    Pasadena Playhouse is playing the Cole Porter Musical "Can Can" until August 13. I'm going tonight with my sister's mother-in-law.

12. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    I know this is a double post, but:

For those of you who have never been, you should really try to see something at the Pasadena Playhouse (and I'd recommend a musical). It's awesome! Every seat is a good one. It's a small enough theatre that everyone has a good view, but large enough that you're not squashed. The place itself is worthy of the label "landmark." Free street park is available if you're willing to walk a block or two.

The show was great! The story was very different from the old movie with Frank Sinatra, Shirley MacLaine, Louis Jordan, Maurice Chevalier and Juliet Prowse. Maurice's character was totally deleted. But the music and dancing are marvelous!

I'd give it *****!

13. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Whooo! Went to a revival theater in Beverly Hills last night to see The Goonies and Back to the Future. It was my first time ever going there, so I didn't know what to expect, but I had a great time. The movies were good, of course, and everything was really cheap. The people there all seemed really nice too. I loved it.

The downside: I got home at 1 and got less than 5 hours of sleep.[face_tired]

14. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Here is a list of movies I've seen recently.

At the theater: The Bourne Ultimatum. Very good. Go see this. That's all I have to say.

On DVD: Shooter staring Marky Mark minus the Funky Bunch. Also very good. I've seen a lot of his movies recently and I've liked them all.

Apocolypto, I didn't think I would like this one but I had to see it just to be sure. I was surprised. I actually enjoyed it. It was like a pre Columbian Die Hard. If you see it you'll know what I mean.

Academy Screening: The Godfather Part III. I wanted really bad to like this movie. I just don't. It's way too long, the story is hard to follow, and I couldn't force myself to care what happened to the characters.

The good thing was Francis Ford Coppola was there at the QandA.

15. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    We saw Bourne Ultimatum over the weekend too. It was awesome, non-stop action. I fell asleep during the beginning though (I was really tired that day, plus I had been drinking earlier in the evening), so I was kind of lost for a while. This has become a real big problem for me. I have no control of my body (as my wife says). I fell asleep during POTC 3 also. It really sucks to pay for a movie and just fall asleep during it. Instead of beer, I should be drinking coffee.

Anyway, go see Bourne Ultimatum. One of the best movies this summer. It's been a good summer though. Transformers, Simpsons, this movie.. now I'm looking forward to Superbad!

16. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I saw the first Bourne movie, but not the second. Should I rent it before I go see the one out now?

17. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    Nobody likes Godfather Part III, it is a horribly written and directed movie. The pacing, dramatic structure, and character development are virtually non-existant, and the editing looks like it was done by a bunch of psychotic monkeys.

I guess GF I and II are like the Star Wars Original Trilogy, and III like the prequels. Well like mentor, like prodigy...

18. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    You don't have to see the second one, but it wouldn't hurt. There are some key facts you should know but they catch you up.

JR, I don't understand how you can fall asleep in movies. They are so loud and the chairs aren't that comfortable.

JJ, agree totally with what you said about GF III. The editors should have been fired.

19. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    The first two Bourne movies made me sick and gave me headaches due to seemingly only using hand-held (EXTREMELY SHAKY) cameras so I'm boycotting this one. Now y'all are making me feel like I'm missing out! Maybe I should rent The Talented Mr. Ripley to ease my pain, I remember that being good.

Michael Cera (aka George Michael from Arrested Development) was on Conan last night and was hilarious. He told this story about his possible paranormal experience in a haunted hotel in San Diego when he was there for their screening of Superbad at ComicCon. So yeah, I really want to see that. I was happy so many people in the audience cheered for him being in AD! Poor show, getting more popular after it's too late.

20. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Hey DH and JN. I forgot which Monty Python movie you two suggested I start with. Was it Life of Brian or was that the one you said wasn't all that great?

21. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail has always been my favorite out of the three main Python movies. I'd suggest you start with that one.

22. GFORCE13

GFORCE13 Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Yes MZ the Holy Grail is my Favorite too then The Meaning of Life and last but not least Life of Brian.

23. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    MP & the Holy Grail is the Holy Grail of MP movies. It's excellent. I enjoyed the Meaning of Life too and Life of Brian is just, well, bordering on blasphemy but that's kind of the way they are any way. If you feel kind of adventurous, you can also watch Time Bandits which isn't strictly MP but has many undertones because of the involvement of MP people.

24. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    MP and the Holy Grail it is!! Thanks!

25. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    MP movies are all great, as is Time Bandits. They all stand the test of time. (But, then I feel the same way about Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.) I think my favorite two scenes in the MP movies are the temptation of Galahad from Holy Grail and the Every Sperm is Sacred song from Meaning of Life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.