main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA We Want Bubba's Reviews! (no really...)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AniPadmeLurker, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Holy Grail is the best MP film by far. Meaning of Life is also good. If you liked the Flying Circus show, then rent "...And now for something completely different". A collection of the best Flying Circus skits.

Time Bandits and The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen were both Terry Gilliam films, one of the MP troupe members. They are very entertaining absurdist, surrealistic comedies and do feature various members of MP.

If you want something a little darker and more serious, he also directed Brazil and 12 Monkeys, which are amazingly well done films as well. 12 Monkeys features both Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt in what I think are among the finest performances of their respective careers.

2. The_Sith_Hunter

The_Sith_Hunter Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2005
    I saw I Know Who Killed Me last week. I work for Sony and got to see it for free. Let's just say I'm glad, rejoicing is a better word, that I didn't pay for it. Although I wish I could get my two hours back! This was just a waste of time and effort. What ever you do, do not, I repeat DO NOT see this film. The audience was laughing at serious moments and heckling through out the film. That part was pretty funny actually...

3. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    But Lindsay is a wonderful actress. I just can't believe this.

{sarcasm}

4. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I saw 12 Monkeys and was amazed by Brad Pitt. I really didn't know he could act until I saw that.

5. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I saw the Bourne Ultimatum last night and enjoyed it a lot. It's like your typical Bourne movie but with a bit more answers. I'd like to see another one.

6. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I saw the Illusionist in class yesterday. A very good movie with good editing and music.I love plot twists in movies like this, because it always makes you ask for more. It wasn't as good as The Prestige though, which was a fantastic movie.

7. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I thought both the Illusionist and the Prestige were very good. I thought the Illusionist was full of more plausible twists and the Prestige was pure fantasy. The Prestige kind of had a sad ending though and a lot was very unclear until a co-worker and I talked about the plot.

8. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    We saw the Simpsons Movie last night and well, I saw most of it. I fell asleep several times during the movie. It was okay, but not nearly as funny as so many have said. There was a guy in the theatre who said it was his third time watching it. I have to admit that I liked the way they started the movie.

9. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    OK, DH, sounds like you have caught what JR has. You both fall asleep in movies. I refuse to work for the city, because I want to avoid this dreaded affliction.

10. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    JJ, maybe it only affects Asian people. I don't understand this falling asleep in movies either. It would really have to be boring and I would really have to be tired for that to happen.

11. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Working for the City is hard and stressful, which makes me tired. So when I go to a movie, well, it's usually late, the theater is dark, the seats are pretty comfortable, and I usually just ate dinner. All the things that makes me sleepy. It sucks to fall asleep though. It's a waste spending that money only to sleep.

12. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I say you bring lots of soda into the theater. Either the caffiene will wake you up...or you'll have have to go back and forth between the theater and the bathroom. Hopefully the former. >_<

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Maybe it has to do with the fact that I did not find the Simpsons Movie funny. I was actually kind of bored.

14. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I watched Blood Diamond over the weekend. It was one of those movies I downloaded from Amazon.com. It looked great playing through the tv.

As for the movie I liked it though it was a bit sad and depressing. If I ever buy a diamond I will make sure to ask the right questions to make sure they aren't from a conflict area.

15. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I saw the Host the other night, a Korean horror/suspense/dramedy. Very very good. If you don't like subtitles forget it, but it's really good.

16. ScootyPuffJr

ScootyPuffJr Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2007
    Watched "Shakespeare in Love" again last night -- same statement as above, only insert "Ben Affleck"...

Mary-SPJ

17. ScootyPuffJr

Jan 11, 2007
    My advice -- read the book. The book is amazing, and unfortunately the film didn't live up to it in several places, just like *cough*MemoirsOfAGeisha*cough*

Mary-SPJ

18. ScootyPuffJr

Jan 11, 2007
    Sadly, the answers will probably be 'what you want to hear.' Nobody on QVC seems to worry about the mining of tanzanites (which they have spun into the most-have gem for the past 5 or so years), that apparently funnels a lot of money to some pretty bad guys.

Mary-SPJ

19. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    Oh I looooved Memoirs of a Geisha (the book). The movie was originally supposed to be directed by Steven Spielberg, and I think he would have done a much better job with it. That is why John Williams wrote the score for it (which was truly beautiful). I think a better film about the same era is The Last Samurai, even though it does have Tom Cruise in it.

20. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Frankly, I thought both movies were pretty terrific. Also, I've seen a lot of Tom Cruise movies that have been pretty good, each in their own way. He's not as gorgeous as some people seem to think. And, I accept that he's, well shall we say, more eccentric than the average LAFFer, but he's done a credible job in most of his roles.

But, you have to accept each movie for what it is meant to be. The Mission Impossible movies are supposed to be lightweight adventures (like Fast & Furious or the Transporter), not deep, soul searching epics. I'm not a fan of early Cruise. I don't think I've ever even seen Top Gun all the way through. I think his work starting with Interview with a Vampire starts getting better. Now, I'm not talking about how good the movie is. I happen to feel that Eyes Wide Shut is one of the all time clunkers, even though the idea was interesting. But, I don't think it was the acting as much as a total lack of plot direction, hell, a total lack of plot would be more like it!

21. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    Hey dont you knock my boy Kubrick!!! His film was simply misunderstood. May he rest in peace.

22. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I saw Hairspray last night. I liked it a lot. I wanted to break out in song and dance after the movie and people were dancing as they were leaving. It was fun. I did think that John Travolta was a bit creepy though. The scenes with him and Christopher Walken sent the creep meter over the edge.

23. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I've heard nothing but good things from my friends about Hairspray. Yesterday I went on Rottentomatoes.com to see about more films coming out. Most of the ones I want to see have fantastic ratings.
    Also, Stardust seems to be a good one according to friends. Although they say they'll never look at DeNiro the same way again.

I forgot to post about Becoming Jane, which could be an indication of how the movie went. It was interesting to see the theories about how Jane lived and who she might've had relationships with, but it was slow. And it wasn't like art-house slow or British historical film slow. It was slower than most of her books that were turned into film. There were funny moments and some romantic stuff but in general. The actors were good. Wait for the dvd...put it last in your netflix queue. Unless you're an Austen fan.

24. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I saw Superbad last night.. it was the funniest movie I've seen in a loooooong time. Somethings were just so unexpected. Funny funny stuff.. I'm glad I saw the Superbad panel at Comic-Con.

25. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Ok, so this week I either see Stardust or Superbad. Transformers is playing at work this week for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.