main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA We Want Bubba's Reviews! (no really...)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AniPadmeLurker, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    With those names I'd think fiction, but with your description it sounds like it could be a documentary or "docudrama." Is it one of those movies dramatizing a non-fictional book?

2. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Avenue Q was hilarious. [face_laugh] You should see it while it's here.

3. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Got to see an advanced screening of "The Jane Austen Book Club" last night. Fantastic chick flick. You don't need to know Austen to enjoy. There's a nerdy guy character in it that is adorable. A couple SW references. Some talk of science fiction. And they filmed some scenes at my high school. The very stage I performed on is in the film!

4. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    I'm also a Jane Austen fan, although not as dedicated as you, APL. This sounds like a fun film. How about Becoming Jane Austen? Has anyone seen it? I know the film is not exactly biographically acurate, but it could be fun anyway.

5. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    I posted about it a while back. I prefer the Book Club to Becoming Jane. The film was OK. It was REALLY slow. Which yes, Jane Austen is slow, but this was beyond slow. Overall, a good film, but not a favorite. I may have overhyped it for myself.

6. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    APL, is it like the book (JA BC)? I thought that was pretty good over all. I didn't want to see Becoming Jane because I figured it would be like P&P but without the happy ending. It's a work of fiction any way.

7. ScootyPuffJr

ScootyPuffJr Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2007
    Finally got around to seeing the rest of "Hot Fuzz" -- total spit-taker and oxygen-requiring-soundless-laughing from all observers in house. Just about fell out of my chair when they got to the part with the swan in the squad car during the penultimate chase...
    I say 'the rest of' because I saw the first 25 minutes in First Class on Virgin America over labor day weekend during the all-too-brief hop from LA to SF...and yeah, it's everything you've heard about and more...

Mary-SPJ

8. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    The movie basically is the story of the group but it doesn't go into the backstory like the book does. It moves forward in the current timeline, not so much in the past. I really liked it though. You were right about Becoming Jane. Still a good film, but not as good as all the rest.

9. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    Saw Across the Universe a few nights ago. VERY VERY VERY good movie. A must see. If you liked Moulin Rouge, you'll like this one even better. For those unaware of it, it's a film in which they use all Beatles songs. It's one movie you might have to see a few times. I bought the soundtrack too.

10. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Oo, good. I've heard two good things now. I have to see if anywhere is actually *playing* it, grr.

11. ScootyPuffJr

ScootyPuffJr Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2007
    And some of us have *had* 'the soundtrack' since the 60's! Hee! Sorry, couldn't resist ;) Man, I'm old...

Mary-SPJ

12. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    A friend lent me Must Love Dogs and while I LOVE John Cusack, I hated this movie. It was predictable and slow. I did not care about Diane Lane or her situation. Plus I thought she was too old for John.

13. Varekei

Dec 5, 2005
    OK, LAFF, be afraid, be very afraid! VK2 & DH TOTALLY agree about this movie! How often does that happen?

14. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    John Cusack has made only three movies worth noting as far as I'm concerned:

Being John Malkovich
    High Fidelity
    The Grifters

Any movie with a title that sounds like a want ad should be avoided at all costs....[face_laugh]

15. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    It's really weird but I haven't seen a lot of romantic comedies that have come out in the last...well ever. Must Love Dogs just looked bad to me.
    I haven't seen a lot of films but I'm attempting to catch up. Some recent favorites are Clerks, When Harry Met Sally, True Romance and First Blood. ( I know extremely diverse. And that's not all.)

16. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    AMC had a Hitchcock week and I saw Marnie and the Birds (both Tippi Hedren movies). I enjoyed both immensely, especially Marnie. I also watched Dial M for Murder which was really good. I'm watching Rope right now.

17. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    A couple of nights ago, BeSo and I realized that we couldn't even remember the last time we saw a movie. At all! Like even a rental! :eek:

18. AniPadmeLurker

Nov 30, 2004
    I see them constantly now. I just saw Singin' In the Rain for the first time yesterday...it was great! LOVED IT!

19. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I love the voice of that actress, not Debbie, but the one she lipsync'd for, the ditzy blonde. She was hilarious. I love old movies. Oh and Rope was just creepy. Not scary creepy but creepy that anyone could believe such ideas. Poor Jimmy Stewart. He felt totally misunderstood.

20. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    I keep meaning to lock this since it's waaaay beyond 500, so now's the time! Fresh thread has been started!

(EDIT: And for clarity, when say "lock," I mean have the RSA "lock," as CRs do not have that power, remember? Thanks)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.