main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We will remember them ..........or perhaps not?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DarthKarde, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Is it my imagination or is there a disgraceful lack of poppies on show this year. Walking round I would say no more than 1 in 10 people seem to have a poppy.

2. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Do you mind asking me, where in England do you live?

===========
    Comic Book Guy

3. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Birmingham

4. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    I see.
    Well i cant speak where you live, but in my ends, the problem is most of the people dont even know what the poppy is for. I live near to Croydon (London) which is where the home office is based, and basically we have ques of thousands of people infront of it every day. Due to this the area is even more than other parts of London, heavily full of imigrant population. Furthermore, the area is already packed with British-Asians, Blacks, etc, etc. Alot of these people are not even aware of the Poppy and what it symbolises, and furthermore many people are just too poor to even take an effort to find out, they just have other things to do in their life.
    Personally I dont buy a poppy, but my reasons are not that of ignorance or disrespect. Firstly, I dont take anything away from all the brave men that died during the wars, British or not. But at the end of the day, the Wars represent the wars of many empires, and my ansestors being former slaves of this empire, i cannot bring myself to where something that represents it. My paternal grandfather, God rest his soul, fought for the British during the war.

==========
    Comic Book Guy

5. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I have noticed that there are not many poppies being worn this year. I did hear that the numbers of people collecting for the poppy cause are diminishing, maybe this has something to do with it.

I've had my poppy on for the last month or so, I saw a collector and decided to buy early. Its a bit crumpled and torn but its the thought that counts.

We will remember...

[face_monkey]

6. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

I always mark today as special, the fact that its my B'day is second to the fact its rememberance day. Its not just to remember the first and second world wars, its to remember those who fought in Korea, Vietnam, Falklands, N.Ireland and Iraq. I dont know, I'm from a forces family so I am constantly relieved, my younger sisters, brother in law and countless friends are not amoungst those being remembered.

7. admiral_Jim

admiral_Jim Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2004
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Happy bday!!!

I have noticed that there was nowhere near the amount of collectors about this year, I had to go to four shops to get one this morning and I managed to loose it before 11 :(

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Happy Birthday Verit

I too have not seen many poppies this year.
    I think many people don't like paying for something they will only wear once a year.

9. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    Happy Birthday V! :)

As for poppies, I've seen loads of people wearing them round this way.

10. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Well, all I can say is that its encouraging to see so many pupils at my school of all ages wearing the Poppy.

We observed a minute silence today and as far as I can gather from my tutor group and the class I was taking at the time, most kids observed it with maturity and thought.

11. Appan_Parsu

Appan_Parsu Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2001
    I do not wear a Poppy as I remember the as do others by observing the minutes silence, wearing a Poppy does not mean that you are remembering them any more. Both my Great Grandfather and Grandfather were in the world wars, My Great Grandfather was in the First World War, he was seriously injured twice both times retuning to duty, as a foot soldier, and return home after the war. My Grandfather was a navigator on a Lancaster in the second world war, he two was lucky to return home after the war. And I would believe that everyone has had someone who fort in those wars, and I don't believe that they will be forgotten, ever.

12. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    I work in a pub and I have to say I haven't seen a noticable decrease in poppies this year.

13. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    I forgot to get a poppy this year for the first time ever. I felt quite ashamed as well. I think the pressure of exams is getting to me. I forgot 9/11 as well. God my memory sucks.

14. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Someone stole my poppy. I'm not even joking. But yes, I am wearing one.

15. DarthArwen

DarthArwen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 2003
    I didn't find that to be the case where I live (Cornwall) For the majority they were widely available - I didn't have to hunt very far. I played in a band contest a couple of weeks ago, so I had to find about 35 poppies for our uniforms, which was interesting to say the least! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.