Weapon ideas?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by _Wheels03, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. _Wheels03 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I need some ideas for a cool scene that doesn't involve two lightsabers battling against each other (at the same time, anyway). What would be a weapon that could be used against a lightsaber? The only thing I can think of is a blaster, but that's too common and I want some info on what you guys would want to see.
  2. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I'd like to see a Jedi use his lightsabre against a flamethrower.

Flameboy 1 - Jedi 0
  3. HocFutue Jedi Knight

star 1
    Lots of possibilities.

Thermal detonators.

Portable proton torpedo launcher.

Personally, I like the idea of Jedi using the Force to have a pie fight.

Might be interesting to have the 'sabre wielder get his butt handed to him by an opponent using just a length of pipe or a stick.

Like my grandmother said what decides a fight is more often "what you have between your ears, not between your hands."

Hoc
  4. sqerl Jedi Knight

star 1
    i'd like to see a jedi fight a rabbit.... and it must be white... and I'd like to see a jedi stop a cow launched from a catapault.

better yet... a saber vs. A RED HERRING!!!

NI! NI! NI! NI! NI! NI! NI! NI! NI!

Oh. my. gosh. I have just thought of my next movie!!! this is gonna be great!!!!

sqerl
  5. AdmiralMowk Jedi Knight

star 2
    This is an idea I always had, but my friends all said it was stupid.

Imagine Vega from Street Fighter. Glove with long claws that come off the top of the hand, like Wolverine, but not part of his body. Then, make those claws "Light-Claws." Imagine that. A guy with foot long saber-claws on each hand fighting a dude with a lightsaber. Oh yes...I can see it now, and it is cool...well, at least to me.

Peace Out,

Mark "The Admiral" Rosenthal
  6. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    if you look through the book on the history of the sith, it says they used to use normal swords, that could withstand a saber blow, so you could make a fancy sword. Or you could use a chain saw or a pressure washer(they don't hurt when you blast your self ... that much)
  7. Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 4
    A shotgun maybe?

Suicide bombers?
  8. OrbitalOwl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Macho's right, according to some of the other sources on the Sith (I used the RPG books, which are, of course, not fully sanctioned) state that the Sith and even Jedi, used to use swords before they discovered lightsabers. And for a while, the Sith used special 'super-hard' swords that could go up against lightsabers. I found this idea very intriguing and used it in a script I recently co-wrote. However, it didn't fit with the film maker's vision. They went with the more conventional Jedi-Sith combat. I'd still like to see some Sith with "normal" swords. Heck, it would save you some rotoscoping!

Also, I think it's been attempted in one fan film, but I'd like to see more forcefield shields against lightsabers. Y'know, something like what the Gungans used in the battle of Naboo. You could bring in some really sweet Sword & Shield style that we haven't really seen in Star Wars. There's some great Medieval Combat books that illustrate the style nicely.

In Frank Herbert's Dune, they had personal force fields. What if someone had something like what the droidikas had in EP1? In Dune, they weren't impregnable, you just had to move slowly to get through them. Maybe it would just take a lightsaber some time to go through one of those force fields. Different tactics.

How 'bout a monofilament whip? I know that's never been mentioned in Star Wars, but it's been in other Sci-Fi (Johnny Mnemonic for visual reference). I think that would be an interesting combat, harking back to ninja or medieval chain weapons.

You could also just have an unarmed martial artist against a person wielding a lightsaber...

OO
  9. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Try a lightning weapon of some kind. Maybe the lightning gun disables his lightsabre and they duke it out. Not the high-flying super ninja moves that we are used to, but some Indiana Jones-style fist fighting.
  10. AdmiralMowk Jedi Knight

star 2
    I don't know. I like Azeem's suicide bombers idea. Let's see a Jedi defeat a runaway car bomb.

Maybe you could do a cross genre thing, like an Evil Dead meets Star Wars, where you can have an Ash character with a chainsaw go up against an undead Sith or something. And when Ash wins, cuz face it, he always wins, he could spout some cool one liner like "Insert one liner here" or "Insert other one liner here."

Alright, my creativity is wiped right now. Too much improv for one day.

Peace Out,

11. Darth_Sephroth Jedi Knight

star 1
    hmmmm, mabye a jedi v.s. an unladen swallow carrying cocconuts! ni! or mabye the temple of the jedi v.s. the dreaded castle of uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh! hehe
    you want extras for youre movie?
    you could hire the knights of ni!,
    or the bridge keeper,
    or the damsels of castle anthrax,
    or me! hehe
  12. Sketcher Jedi Knight

star 1
    what about a lightblaster. a lightblaster is a weapon i thought up which is basically a blaster/lightsaber. it can shoot lightsaber blades and act as a normal saber.
  13. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    sumo wrestler jedis :p
  14. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
    Imagine that. A guy with foot long saber-claws on each hand fighting a dude with a lightsaber.

I think that some concept art for Darth Maul had this in. It was him as a tall guy in red armour, with this these blades coming from his fists. On the Insiders Guide CD I think.
  15. AdmiralMowk Jedi Knight

star 2
    Really!? Ah man, I totally thought I cam up with that.

Well this makes me unhappy. Time to drown my sorrows.

Anybody know a water spicket in the Toronto area?

This is not so much a cool weapon idea as it is just a cool idea, but here it goes: Anyone remember the old TV show "Thunder Cats?" I want to see a large Cat-person with a cool sword screaming "Hooooooo!" fight a Jedi. That would make my day.

Of course, Fritos make my day, but regardless...

Peace Out,

Mark "Mumm-Ra" Rosenthal
  16. Waylynne Jedi Knight

star 2
    he-he-he... a subject most debatable...

Force-Pike: A long spear like weapon, which has an energy field strong enough to deflect a lightsaber (like that used by the Imperial Guard). The Force-Pike has a slight energy dischard, like a static arc when it comes into contact with something.

Force-Klaive: Imagine a Force-Pike with a Machette like blade on the end. The "blade" has an energy field strong enough to deflect a lightsaber and also slices and dices. If you were going to use a Force-Klaive in a film, remember to add a subtle glow around the blade - not a Saber glow, just a "subtle" glow...

Both the Force-Pike and the Force-Klaive can be used by non-force-sensitive beings... ie. You don't need to be attuned to the Force...

and of course, my personal favourite...

Thermal Detonator: Jedi go BOOOOOOOOM !!!

:D

Then again, I've taken out Jedi with a metal bar upside the head...

[Stands at the front of the room]

Hi, my name is Scott... and I'm an RPG Geek... But I'm over it now... really... It's been 18 months since my last gaming session...
  17. AdmiralMowk Jedi Knight

star 2
    [Roomful of RPG geeks together in geeky harmony]

Hi Steve!

Peace Out,

18. Master_Comyn Jedi Master

star 4
    Thunder, THUNDER, THUNDER CATS! HO!

Gettin' me all worked up....

Someone mentioned sword/sheild combat? Heh, it'll be in Knight's Dawn. Well, the third part. Since it's set over 3,000 years before ANH, near the beginning of the Sith Wars, we decided to take everything to a more primitive, "medieval" level, especially with the combat weapons. Even some of the "guns" are projectile firearms instead of blasters.

But I digress. I thought long and hard about how I would distinguish the Sith War era as a truly unique period in SW history, and decided that, with the rise of the Sith, the Jedi were getting desparate and, as such, starting using armor and sheilds, along with new styles to optimize combat effectiveness against the Sith. Doesn't mean they're wusses for using armor. They just want to make sure they'll stay in the fight.

But I do like the idea of a red herring...

EDIT: Forgot to mention what the shields are. Only one of the Jedi in the film will be using it. It's basically an arm gauntlet that has a few small emitters that fold up into the gauntlet when not in use. When extended, the emitters form a sheild. I'm still working on what it exactly looks like, but it uses lightsabre technology. Just thought I'd add my two cents.
  19. Waylynne Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well hey howdy hey! My film (due out in July 2002) "Star Wars - Jedi Tales : Fall of the Jedi" (shameless plug!) deals with what happened towards the end of the Sith Wars - Once those darn pesky Jedi were almost wiped out and the Sith were busy fighting amongst themselves -- 2000 years before ANH...

Looks like we might see some more variety in storylines this year...

I wanted to use Force-shields and Lightsabers, but the rest of the creative team said no... but I did manage to work in some nifty force powers... gotta say I like the ol' "Force Scream" ...
  20. AdmiralMowk Jedi Knight

star 2
    What if the the Jedi were fighting a bad guy who used the music (if you can call it that) of Yoko Ono as his weapon, or better yet, Yoko Ono herself. I'd like to see a Jedi get within fifteen yards of her while she caterwauls one of her "hits."

Peace Out,

21. scudknight Jedi Knight

star 3
    MMMWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

this thread pleases me.
  22. Olorinate Jedi Padawan

Ok, I have to say that I love Star Wars, and Episode I's dueling nearly made me wet myself. However, after thinking about how cool the fighting was, and how cool lightsabres are, and how cool the Force is, I began to wonder how cool the fighting could have been. For instance, why don't Jedi/Sith use the force more when they're fighting? Do they have to stop moving their lightsabres to use the force? They could be pummeling their opponent with Force-punches and attacking him with their lightsabres simultaneously, or hurling objects at him from all angles to complement their attacks. I mean, if I go to strike you with my lightsabre and you move to block, but I block your motion to block with the Force, then you have to do something creative, don't you? When Darth Maul is doing all those flips, the Jedi could have just grabbed his foot in midair and made him fall on his face or something. Also, there is the possibility of wielding your own lightsabre with the Force while physically attacking your opponent from a different direction. This was one thing that really bugged me about Darth Maul's death. It was all set up for Obi-Wan to turn on Qui-Gon's lightsabre and bring it spinning toward Maul, forcing him to turn around and deal, while Obi-Wan jumps up and hits from behind or something. Instead, they have that lame ending where Maul could have just turned on his sabre and sliced Obi-Wan in two as he flies by, but suddenly he is too surprised to move or defend himself. Boo!

I know the most obvious response to all this is, it takes more concentration to use the Force than you can muster in the middle of a fight. Ok, easy way out. But fights would be a lot more cool if it didn't take that kind of concentration. Anyhow, what about plain old sabre tricks, without using the Force? I can think of six cool things you could do in a real fight with a lightsabre, but the most obvious one is this: why, when someone goes to parry a cut, doesn't the attacker just flick his own sabre off and on really quickly? The defender misses the block because his attacker's sabre is off, but a millisecond later it's back on, has passed the intersection point, and is cutting him in half. Seems like the first dirty trick they would teach Jedi to watch out for.

Well, peace.

Nate
  23. Master_Comyn Jedi Master

star 4
    About the turning a lightsabre off and then back on to avoid a parry...

It's been agreed that it does in fact take a second to just half a second for the lightsabre to ignite, and possibly even longer for it to deignite. Now, let's say someone tried this during a fight. Wouldn't it be faster for the other person to turn their parry into a slash while their opponents lightsabre is in that limbo?

A lightsabre is often considered a magical weapon without bounds. But to present it properly on screen, it still needs to follow a certain set of rules; such as the only thing that can withstand a lightsabre blade is another lightsabre blade (and cortosis ore, if you're THAT much into EU). Certain things can be deflected from lightsabres, such as blaster bolts, while other things cannot, such as material projectiles. Blah blah blah. Everyone understands this stuff. But if you're going to raise the level as far as fighting tactics and lightsabre operations go, then you have to raise the bar of rules to equally match it. Otherwise you get a sense of unrealism, leading to a euphoric audience. I think....

One thing that made all the Indiana Jones stunts (and I did hear this from some tv special, it's not my own thought) realistic was that they were all bounded by a set of rules, like you couldn't have too many lucky escapes, so on and so forth.

I feel important all of a sudden. :D
  24. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    It's funny you mentioning Indiana Jones, becuase since Azeem mentioned a shotgun I've been thinking about what a great little scene you could make to introduce a tough Bounty Hunter or Sith. The Jedi will come mincing up, igniting his fancy lighttsabre and doing a few fancy spins with it (as jedi are inclined to do in fanfilms :p ) and the Sith/Bounty Hunter could get out his shotgun and just fires off a few rounds killing the jedi straight off, just like the scene in Raiders where Indiana shoots the swordsman.

Shotguns. That's the weapon. Pump action, spraying shot everywhere.
    ::paraphrase:: This is your fathers shotgun, this is the weapon of a Bounty Hunter, a bludgeoning weapon, more clumbsy and random than a blaster, a weapon from a less civilised age.
  25. scudknight Jedi Knight

star 3
    *********Seems like the first dirty trick they would teach Jedi to watch out for.*************

if an opponent turns off his saber during combat - hes dead. not sure if I'm following your trick right but if you turn off your saber the opponents blade will hit you.

jedi and sith dont normally clash sabers for the heck of it. :)

I suppose if you were ducking at that moment you could do something like it, but its unlikely too much action for the defender to compensate with a duck, saber off - move, saber on versus one strike. then again i couldve misinterpreted your message.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.