main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Weather is a little wild up here

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by DarkLordSid, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Road was closed north of us, and then south of us yesterday, good day to stay home, light candles turn up the propane heat.

Lost power twice in 24 hours, got it back within a few hours both times. Keep hearing loud *THUMPS* on the roof from falling tree branches and limbs, 'bout dropped a load when I was outside looking at the roof and saw a 14' long, 6" diameter redwood branch come crashing down into the road next to the house, couldn't tell where it was coming from, sounded like a freight train tearing towards me, thought the whole tree might follow.

I decided it was best to stay inside and spent this morning listening to CDs Mrs. Sid got me for Xmas on the battery powered boom box and gaping out the window at the storm. (Tripping down memory lane with Elton and Captain Fantastic).

Got around three inches yesterday alone, the coast is under a high surf advisory, bet the Boardwalk is closed tight today, Capitola Village is also not a place to go is you like to be dry.

And it's just the first day of January. Last time we saw this kind of stuff this early was back in El Nino of 1998.

I think a "spring camping trip" is a leeeetle optimistic, heh. Unless you like boat trips...

Stay warm and dry and Happy New Year!

DLS

2. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Stay safe all you guys on the coast. We are getting flooding in some areas out here (not by me) and we've got some crazy winds going on. It's gonna be a fun winter.

3. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Yikes! I guess we were lucky that the weather held good for the count-down at the clock tower last night! I saw some minor slides driving over 17 yesterday, but they already cleaned up.

I don't remember '98 so much as '97.... though the storms I'm thinking of were in Dec, so maybe we are talking about the same year? This was the winter that lightening struck the transformer over in Capitola, and power was out everywhere for over a day. I remember we were carrying candles around for light over in the physics dept, as our building had only a few emergency lights, and there was lots of scrambling to find rooms with light for finals. Roads were closed, a lot of places farther up in the hills didn't get power for days, and trees were coming down all over campus.

You know, it seems to me that normally, at this time of year, Lexington is usually getting pretty low. But when I drove by yesterday, the water levels were high, more like what I'd expect after a month or two of winter storms. Hey, at least we're not so likely to have a drought this year... so when we do get to go camping, things will be nice and lush. :)

4. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    It was the winter before I went on my Science Illustration internship is all I remember. I went on that in the summer of '98, so depending on how you count the year, that could have been in '97 or '98. My big memory is going out with two friends in the night and first going out in the driving wind and rain to stand on the footbridge across the river near downtown Santa Cruz and watching the gigantic brown swollen flood race past, just under our feet (normally the river is a little puddle or trickle, far below) carrying whole tree trunks with it, and then driving down to near the lighthouse on West Cliff and watching the waves fling up huge spumes of foam before deciding it was actually too dangerous to get out and go any closer. Wow, that was a wild winter!

Hope you both are ok up there in the hills! I've got some other friends who live out your way as well!

- Kai

5. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    We're were getting heavy rains and the wind was unbelievable for a while yesterday. Today, just nasty drizzle and cold..like Hoth Cold without the Snow (even though we actually had a Snow Advisory come on the TV this morning for our area. The second one in three days).

I remember that last nasty go-around with the rains up your way, Sid. When I was looking selling my previous house and thinking of buying that house up in Ben Lomond, (sp) and then I decided to go back and get my degree instead. Later on, when it started raining we saw it ...literally...going down the road being washed away. So, I know what it can do up there. You guys stay safe, stay dry, and take care.

Same with everyone else up North and along the Coast. Keep Safe and Dry!

Yup, probably gonna be a wild Winter. (Ok... so it's a LATE Spring campout!)

6. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Storm has hosed up our phone/internet somehow. We can call out, but no one can call in (thank godness the cell phone works and we've had power to keep it charged from time to time). Can't get the phone company out to fix it until Wednesday, dang it.

DSL internet works kind of, looks like the speed is down to near 56K so forget any gaming or video fun

Home for the holidays and can't use the machine to play, bah.

We are doing our "Star Wars Saga" instead, we're watching them all from I to VI.

7. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Well, today is Monday and we are just getting hammered here in Central Ca. I can only imagine your areas.

But on a funny note:
    Had on the Rose Parade this morning (Pasadena also got hammered...something just weird about watching the rain pour off of Mickey's nose during the Disney Float... anyways I regress)... Watched the opening ceremonies on one of the Satallite Channels (cause no commercials)and during LeAnne Rimes performance, the wind was what looked like pre-hurrican levels, and the heavy rain was going sideways, poor performers/dancers were absolutely soaked and windblown. They all had on pseudo-western/skimpy outfits, and one of the commentators stated...

"Well, this is a first for the Rose Parade. Looks like we are now witnessing our first official Wet T-Shirt Contest." I just lost it! [face_laugh]

*note to future performers, if you ARE going to be performing, in a T-Shirt, in the rain, on an incredibly cold day at an Internationally Broadcast Function...remember not to wear your See Through Bra." Yes it was a first for the Parade. And of course, being shot live with no censors (I mean who would ever thought to censor the Rose Parade)...X-Rated comes to Pasadena...still laughing thinking about it...and having performed under adverse conditions myself (well not to THAT extreme!) I commend those who went above and beyond to continue to perform. I admire each and everyone of them for holding it together!

Ok, back to watching the wind and rain.

Stay Safe.[face_peace]

8. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Went out to breakfast this morning, prior to seeing Narnia, and the little diner had a TV mounted on the wall. Saw a bit of the X-Rated Rose Bowl Parade. I agree, that was pretty unexpected! LOL!

*HUGS*

Hope everybody's staying warm and dry!

- Kai

9. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Staying Dry, Huge Roaring Fire..so *checking* Yup, staying Warm.

LOL, yeah, the X-Rated Rose Parade will stay forever in my memory. [face_laugh]

And, gonna go see Narnia again. Liam The Lion works for me! :)

10. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Damn, I saw it on network, was wondering why the heck the parade was so short, they must have cut out all the excitement.

And I'm starting to really hate those commentators, the cheese factor was WAY high, I'm hoping it was ad libbed if that was written for them, those people should be SO fired.

At least we had power while it was taping and when we watched it later we zipped through the commercials.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.