main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Web Planning Post

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Jedi_BMack, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    As per Krash's suggestion, now everyone knows what this is about.

Currently, two ideas from me, some button graphics from Anrev and a general logo idea from me.
    1. Clickie #1
    2. Clickie #2
    Anrev's buttons: (probably for our main page not the forum)
    Clickie for buttons

Logo idea #1
    Clickie pic-y

Also, a couple definitions: the "forum page" is what we're in now (like I needed to tell any of us that) That design would simply replace the top banner and left side of what you see now. The "main page" will be our www.jediknightsyaddayadda.com page. No major developments on that one yet.

For continuity's sake, Anrev and I are currently sorting out the files that we both have so the two of us can both be working from the same stuff.

Hopefully, between Anrev and me, the main page will start coming together in the near future.

EDIT: The two forum themes from RidingMyCaroselOnYou's thread are now included here for everyone to have the resouces in one thread.
    Comments/questions/suggestions are very welcome here.

-b-

2. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Click

Clack

clickie me!

although I like the ones above in last post better.

I also say we have a picture page(like the one that is featured on my website for exsample my site ) and in that picture page we have pics of events we had.

I also think we should have a member picture page. A page with a list of each of our members(with short bios for them and a picture of them).

Also think we need a guestbook(essential) and a links page.

3. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    PJD,

You may want to make sure your permissions are set properly. I'm getting a 403 Forbidden error on all three links. One of those had a 404 Not Found in addition.

-b-

4. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I like the one with the links. It looks very cool. But do we know who will do what on the website?

5. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
  6. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Since Anrev and Brian have "taken the Reek by the horns" on this, I'll ask ahead of time. The "jedi council" is meeting next Thursday, to discuss/organize this and the other issues we have going on. As soon as the poll for the creation of a websiten closes, IF the measure passes, I want to get together in-person with the people who want to work on this thing...and hammer out some details. At the last meeting, Anrev said that he was thinking of a team of 4-6 people; and while some have already voiced interest to me, let's make this official:

JKOC web-team sign-up:
    Krash - CR, news/events reporter
    Padawan92 - mostly in the picture area
    Anrev
    Jedi_BMack - you're both kinda already here!

Start looking at days and times when we (the web-team) all can get together and start brain-storming as a group. This will be an "official" Fanforce event, but I want to keep it to those who want to working on the site. We will report regularly to the entire Fanforce at our monthly "meetings." Sorry if anyone feels left out, your comment are always welcome, I just don't want "too many chiefs in the kitchen."

Eventually, I'm thinking everyone will have some kind of "assignments" they are working on, and we'll all discuss them online...and at "meetings."

7. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    Those link buttons (I'm assuming, P92) will mostlikely go into the main site, not into the forum. Check out Clickie #1 and clickie #2 and let me know what i should do with text in the upper left. I tried to address concerns from the earlier thread.

BTW, what time Thursday?

-b-

8. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    I didn't really say anything at the last meeting about helping w/the site, but if you need anyone for small stuff I wouldn't mind helping out...although most of my time is going toward my own site (link is in my signature), I could help somewhat with the other. And also I'd be more than willing to link with you guys to increase traffic!

9. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Like Will (Reborn), I too voiced my opinion to help with the site. I dunno how to create graphics and post pages on the Internet, but I do have background in designing webpages too and be willing to do what I could to help...

10. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I know there were plenty of people who want to help out with the website, I was listing people who expressed their interest at the last meeting.

JKOC web-team sign-up:
    Krash - CR, news/events reporter
    Padawan92 - mostly in the picture area
    Anrev
    Jedi_BMack - you're both kinda already here!
    (new additions)
    Reborn
    Random
    Mullet

Depending on how many people we have, we might not need a whole lot from you Reborn (giving you time to focus on your website/any help will be appreciated) However, I don't see a problem with creating a link to your site, or you contributing to the JKOC site. For right now, we're looking for people who have the time to commit to something like this(full time). Anrev has asked not to have ALL the web duties, with his time being very limited.

11. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    I am now volentering my photo editing skills for creations of minipulations, lightsaber effects and opther nonsense I am needed for.

12. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    bump cuz of edit

13. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    In response to Krash from the other thread:
    I agree that the colours aren't that great. I probably should have made them lighter. I can make the changes, if you'd like, though. :)

14. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    also (in response to Krash), think about what colors you might throw into the other forum themes earlier in this thread...

THX!

-b-

15. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    also (in response to...um...me)

If we're going to use the B_Mack/Anrev design, for just the banner, on the forums. I would like to keep the buttons Anrev come up on everything (home page, pictures, ect) that way there is some uniformity to the website.

16. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    You want to keep the buttons on the forum or on the main webpage? (see definitions above) Cuz, I don't think we can use the buttons in the forum format...

-b-

17. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    No the buttons I made up were for use on the website. I didnt know that we could modify the message board at the time. I like the idea of having the site and board look the same. But we couldnt use the buttons here like BMack said. I havnt had a chance to work on the stuff lately but I will this weekend. And since the yes/no on the site poll is done I believe then we need to decide on a domain name. Like...
    www.jediknightsofcleveland.com
    www.jkoc.com
    www.somethingelse.com
    D Zod? If you would start a thread please.

18. Darth-Zod

Darth-Zod Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    Let?s not get ahead of ourselves. The other poll has not closed yet.

19. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Sorry. Didnt look before I posted. On Wednesday then.

20. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Patience, just a couple days...even though YES has a commanding lead, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

"You want to keep the buttons on the forum or on the main webpage?"

Since the button will direct people here, it would be impossible to have the buttons on the boards. What I wanted is to have the buttons on all the NEW features we'll be creating through the website (pictures, costuming, and links) the boards button will take people here (a one-way ticket?)

Is there a way to add something in our board's banner to take people BACK to our website?

21. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    Wow. Lots to answer from a webdesign standpoint on this one. So buckle up, it's gonna get bumpy.
    RE: Anrev: "I like the idea of having the site and board look the same."
    While the forum is a good place to start for a website layout, there are two major reasons I don't think we should go for that layout.
    1. I'm not a big fan of how my eye is drawn around the page. It is very easy to skip right over some important stuff at the top of the page. Important stuff should pop.
    2. Our site, while we hope it gets a lot of traffic and all that fun stuff, will not have anywhere near the Corellian-freighter-loads of information this forum has. So we can afford to use a much looser visual layout.
    RE: Anrev: "And since the yes/no on the site poll is done I believe then we need to decide on a domain name. Like...
    www.jediknightsofcleveland.com
    www.jkoc.com
    www.somethingelse.com"
    My girlfriend (she exists, Krash knows her!!) caught this right away when she saw the tshirt design with the subbed-in abbreviation text. Think like a 12-year-old boy and it should be obvious why this abbr should be immediately stricken from any and all realms of possibility. In other words, Krash, Kel thinks all Freudian too.
    RE: Krash: "What I wanted is to have the buttons on all the NEW features we'll be creating through the website (pictures, costuming, and links) the boards button will take people here (a one-way ticket?)"
    Well, what I had in mind was those buttons on the main website like Krash said and when you click on the one for the forum, it opens a nice new browser window in which the forum loads. Isn't that handy? That way they don't have to worry about losing the main site window. This means that it wouldn't be a one way ticket.
    RE: Krash: "Is there a way to add something in our board's banner to take people BACK to our website?"
    Actually, yes(?) It would probably not be in the banner, but it would be near the top. Check out Detroit's board. Clickie Right under the banner and the advertisement. A nice little bar with links to their homepage, welcome threads, policies, yadda yadda yaddle (just for you PJD). They even have an announcement line. This line is also duplicated under the board and threads.

I hope this explains quite a bit. But as always I will be waiting for questions.

Yours, in the Force...

Jedi_BMack... web-guy extraordinaire...

-b-

PS: excuse my ego in the last bit there. He got out of his cage. Back Simba! *whipcrack* Back!!

22. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Is there a way to add something in our board's banner to take people BACK to our website?
    -- Just adding my two cents here. I don't think it's possible, although you could ask Hama about messing with the script. I know you can change the alternate text of the image (ie: holding the cursor over and image and getting text), so it could be possible (although the Old Folks Home may not like that idea).

23. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    The last thing I want to do with anything on this scale is mess with a script that is already working. That's just not a good idea...

-b-

24. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Thanks for that, Carosel. Even though it wasn't my question ;)

!Shinjo :)

25. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    I really like Detroits board. And if they can do it so can we.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.