main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI Website and T-shirts - - PREDICAMENT

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by FearAndBullets, Apr 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FearAndBullets

FearAndBullets Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    Hi everyone, I don't know of any other way to put this, so here goes nothing...

In order for me to get our shirts printed in time, I have to go today to drop off the file and pay half upfront...which is no problem -except for those who didn't show up or didn't pay. I don't really know what to do for those that didn't. I will be able to get a total of 12 shirts, which will result in the cost that I gave you, without those people who couldn't make it to the meeting or pay for a shirt.

There is also another problem. I do appreciate the money that was given for the site, but there really isn't enough for the site. I can buy our domain, but that's about it. Unless, I can put it on plastic, but -I cannot end up having paid 60% of it. Which, if the site is a no go, then I have to change the back of our shirts to something other than our web address.

So, here's the deal, as of now it doesn't look like those members that didn't show up to the meeting or didn't pay are not going to get shirts for CII. I will try to fund the site with plastic, and if I do not receive more donations, than R2-Detroit will only have a parked domain name, and i'll have to use the site for my own business.

I am really sorry that this message might sound harsh and I have no intentions of making anybody miss out on t-shirts for the convention or making anybody mad at me. I am trying to do my best. I tried to give everyone a deadline for the shirts and that was this last Saturday. Please forgive me for this blunt message, but I felt that it is very necessary to post for those who did contribute to the site and pay for the shirts. Please, if you have any ideas on how else to go about this, I am completely open to suggestion.

~F&B

2. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    Well, I'm not going to speak for those who haven't paid their share for the T-shirts...so I think those individuals need to chime in with their say.

As far as the domain name/web site...how much more do you need? I get paid again on Friday morning, so I can give you more. But everyone else needs to chip in too (you know who you are :)).

3. FearAndBullets

Jan 4, 2001
    Well, if I calculated the tax correctly on the t-shirts then, we have a total of $43.02 for website donation.

4. FearAndBullets

Jan 4, 2001
    I really hope that I didn't peeve anybody off.

5. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Hmmm,what to do,what to do.I would say go ahead and register the domain name,so we don't lose that.Wouldn't do us much good to have these shirts with an address that's not ours.

I gave $10 for the website and I really can't give anymore than that right now.I know it sounds cheap of me,it's just that with CII and everything else that's going on right now,I have to be extremely careful with money.

But,I could give a little more after CII,if that's not too late.

6. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    F & B, you need another another $55.00, correct? I will gladly pay any additional monies that are required of me.

7. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    I will give more. Just let me know how much more you need.

8. Roknor

Roknor Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    FearAndBullets, could you tell us how much exactly you have and how much exactly you need and if you could be a tad bit more specific on what the website is going to be like and why we need one so badly. I would really like to know. I can give you money, I just would like to know what it is going to go into and how much I need to give. If there is another post somewhere that gives this information just point me there. Also I wanted to ask you if you ever looked at that paypal Account. Here is a link to it so you can check it out. Paypal.com

9. FearAndBullets

Jan 4, 2001
    Here's exactly what the website is for:
    1: our yahoo group gives too much spam, so we're looking for something that doesn't, but still gives us the same functionality and allows the public to view what the detroit area FF is doing.
    2: we needed a way for the public to find us and advertise it accordingly and in an efficient manner. Hence forth, the www.r2detroit.com is alot easier to find and remember than htt://boards.theforce.net/whatever. We can put it on every single marketing piece we want (fliers at CII, T-shirts for CII and opening night, etc.)
    3: we can't post pictures and what not on the boards.
    4: websites are a tremendous marketing tool. If I was thinking of possibly joining a group and was looking for something to offer me, I would be pretty impressed that this group has a website versus another who doesn't.
    5: it's on all our shirts
    6: my push to get a site now versus later is based on the fact that May is going to be a very very busy month. We as a group want more members and by establishing a single page site (for now) will help to point people in the right direction. Please see #1-5.
    7: Why not?

Currently I have a total of $43.02 given towards purchasing the hosting site. $12 of it went to purchasing our domain. In fact, make the $12 my contribution. So, we have only have $55.98 more to go, and based on those that said they'd contribute $55.98 distributed won't be that much.

I did check out paypal.com, however, I feel really really uncomfortable putting my checking acount number on the web, that alone given it out period, not matter how "secure" it's supposed to be. I've worked for internet/development companies long enough to know that if there's a will there's a way.

Hopefully that clears up any questions that anybody is having regarding the what the website's for and exactly how much it's going to take.

oh, and if jedi_blynnj or some of our other creatives would like to put together a mock-up of our first intial one-page site with links back to the boards here, we could put the designs to vote and start developing it, before the purchase of the site.

10. FearAndBullets

Jan 4, 2001
    Listen, I really hope the group doesn't think that i'm pushing too hard for this. If the idea of promoting the group was made months and months ago, there really wouldn't be a push, however, we didn't and frankly we weren't that big as an organized group either. May, is a HUGE month for all things Star Wars and a wonderful opportunity for us to grow as an organized group. I foresee us becoming a massive group (based on our growth since becoming more organized -than just random visitor posts), in which we do alot together like some of the things the 501st does. I'm sorry if it seems like i'm in everyones face, trying to twist arms and get money for this stuff. I assure you that I have the group's interest at heart and though greed can be a powerful ally, it isn't mine. The growth of the group (if taken seriously), like most things, is going to take time, a little bit of money and effort.

11. jedi_blynnj

jedi_blynnj Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    FearAndBullets - I'm in the 3D department at school, so I've never built a website or even designed one! :(

But I'd love to get it a try! :D But it would have to wait till finals are over. Cause I have way too much homework and only a week and half to finish it all.

I can chip in some money to the site as well.
    I start working full time as soon as school is out, so money shouldn't be a problem.

12. Roknor

Roknor Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    Hey Thanks for the Reply there Bullets. That is cool that you don't trust the security of the internet. I wouldn't either if I knew what was going on behind the scenes. I mean I have met with some of the people that put together our cars and I am not sure why I am still driving. So I understand that.
    I was just wondering how I could get the money to you in the easiest way possible. If you PM and let me know your address and what not I can mail it to you or if you are going to be at borders on Friday night I guess I could get to you then. Just looking how to get it to you the quickest. The site sounds like a great idea from what you posted and I am excited. I dabble in Macromedia Flash stuff so let me know if you want me to try and put something together in that sense. hope to hear from you soon. Peace!

13. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    We could always have a fundraiser.

We could have:

--The `Adopt a Droid' program.After sending us money,the sponsor would then be able to name one of the battle droids seen in `The Phantom Menace'

--Start a `Kenny's(as in Baker's)Kids' fundraiser.We could get Sally Struthers to be our spokesperson.

--Or,one of you could sell off a part of your SW collection and help fund our website.Your selflessness would be appreciated and long remembered.

Heck,we'll even name a battle droid after you.:)

14. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    Okay...so those of us who are getting together tomorrow will be bringing cash for the Web site, yes?

15. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Yep, I will!

16. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    C'mon don't you guys want to adopt a droid?How about a clone?You wanna adopt a clone?Anyone? :)

17. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Personally, I like the kidnapping idea better than the fund-raiser. YOu know, going door-to-door is so passe! But, you know, I'll go along with what the group decides. ;)

M.

18. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    I dunno,kidnapping members of our group in order to take them to Celebration II is one thing,but I have to draw the line at celebrity kidnapping.:)

19. SwordChick

SwordChick Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Lol! Idge, your little proposal of kidnapping me for C2 was actually what changed my mom's mind (thanks again). :D However, I don't think any celebs will be too thrilled with the idea.

20. jedi_blynnj

jedi_blynnj Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    I won't be able to make it to this Friday's get together. I have finals that week.

So how can I donate some money to our website? CODs, credit card, check, cash, or maybe just my soul?! jk! :D And who do I give the money to?

21. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    Send a PM to FearandBullets,he's collecting the money for the site.

Also,F&B,looks like I will be able to donate some more cash after all.If you want to PM your address to me,I will get it in the mail to you.

22. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    So is it too late to jump in on the t-shirt deal???? Oh, I don't need it by C2, but just to have one would be cool. Just don't put that dang flying tire logo on it!!! :)

I'd being more than happy to pony up for one, plus shipping costs, and might even accidentally drop an extra $10 in there for whatever online reason you guys might need it for. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.