main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Website Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValueROCKR, Apr 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValueROCKR

ValueROCKR Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2002
    ok mara jade suggested i be the webmaster, based on the work my friend and i have done... im very honored to be suggested... so i thought we should start this off by coming up with a general idea of what the site will look like.... ive seen the ssws website and like it... but i think we can come up with something better....

so lets hear some ideas for sections...
    obviously we need:
    links, events, contact, pics, news, the messageboard, affiliates section.

a store would be nice. also being an indy film guy id like to see sections for fan films and fan film resources, fan film making etc. and maybe even a list of sw friendly actors and actresses...

other ideas:
    local 501st reports (events/membership etc)
    costuming section
    collectors section (comics, figures, props etc)

ive got more ideas but i want to hear what everyone else has to say too.... also if your interested in heading up a section yourself let us know....

2. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    well maybe you can start by having the greatest star wars collectior mentioned on your website..me. go see my collection pics on the collecting section and you can put some of those on the website. I also have some original pics of the art of star wars when i went to the show i nsan francisco and here in san diego. basically. i got tons of star wars pics you can all use for the website.

I could also be the steve sansweet of the site. my expertise is collecting star wars memorabilia. and i can put prices on things very easily. let me know!

3. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    homeless_jedi: "the greatest star wars collectior mentioned on your website"

Yeah, I'm sure we'd have to mention Steve Sansweet eventually. [face_mischief]

4. ValueROCKR

Feb 21, 2002
    homeless, thats great... would you want to run that section or just contribute?

i think it would be cool to have pics of peoples collections too good idea....

5. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Expanded Universe section in with the comics would be nice, maybe a chat room?

6. TK-1178

TK-1178 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 21, 2002
    I'd be happy to be the 501st and Rebel Legion liaison. I'll update on all upcoming events and info on joining either group! ;)

Jeff

7. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    I've got most of the Star Wars comics. Um, maybe I can do some reviews or something.

8. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I would *love* to see 501st info on the site! It'd be neat to be able to keep up with them easily.

9. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    sure i can run the collection section. i can do things like review the newest action figures, comics, i could tell you where to get some good deals. do some articles. and maybe interview some collectors. no prob. and share pics. i can do that!

10. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    sure i can run the collection section. i can do things like review the newest action figures, comics, i could tell you where to get some good deals. do some articles. and maybe interview some collectors. no prob. and share pics. i can do that!

11. ValueROCKR

Feb 21, 2002
    Mara: eu sections a great idea... im not that up to speed with that... would you want to handle that?

12. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Yeah, I can handle EU just fine and anyone else that wants to pitch in is more than welcome. I've read all the books, some of them more than once, but only have read a few of the comics. DarthBrian will have to cover that end of the EU.

13. ValueROCKR

Feb 21, 2002
    DarthBrian: reviews and stuff for comics good idea... would like to cover upcoming titles as well?

14. ValueROCKR

Feb 21, 2002
    also an auction watch might be a good idea for links to sw stuff on ebay... any auction addicts here?

15. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Yeah, I pretty much order all the comic books now. So I can review 'em as they come in.
    I can also do an archival review of sorts. A hidden gems sorta thing.

16. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    we definitely need a chat room..id hate to be communicating trough a message board

8-}

17. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Communicating through a messageboard like we are now you mean? :p

18. ValueROCKR

Feb 21, 2002
    brins up another issue what scripts are we gonna use for the board and chat rooms? i like the ultraboard message boards... is anyone here good at cgi programming? i can talk to a couple people.. or we could just use someone elses scripts and just "cut and paste" our message board and chat room...

19. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    whatever works for the chat and message boards..snowboards are cool im just wondering..is this creation going to cost money? and how can we be assured its going to be a succesful website. we need some marketing strategies.

20. ValueROCKR

Feb 21, 2002
    content will make or break our site.... it needs to be the best most informative site about the sw community in san diego... once we have that we will worry about other fan force sites ;) marketing means we will have to get on search engines... and get the word out at cons and stuff....

also ive talked to some people already about doing some shirt designs.... once we get the site up and running we can think about setting up a store and get some credit card processing going....

21. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    It shouldn't cost any money. I bought the domain name but that was no big deal. The site will be put together by volunteers, moderated by volunteers etc. If and when we sell items such as T-shirts etc, we may have to think up some creative ways to earn the money for that, or have the shirts donated. The profits can go back into running the site, and into paying for our events. Maybe down the line I'd like to see our group helping to raise money for a charity such as Children's Hospital.

22. Sidious_X_Palpatine

Sidious_X_Palpatine Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2002
    Need a Membership Page, where members can put just general info about themselves.

Need a Calendar for posting Events Info, or other Star Wars-related events.

Need a Chatroom that's accessible for all, which for me.. means.. a chatroom with No Java... an HTML Chatroom would be nice.

Need to find a nice picture of San Diego, to use as a background on the HomePage... with the words...

~ San Diego ~

~ Star Wars Society ~

23. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    well im very active in the star wars community here and at the con. at the con i always volunteer as a photographer. lets get this thing started..soon as i get my cellphone back on ill pass it on. i gotta pay 149 bucks..dang.

24. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    "marketing means we will have to get on search engines"

Don't you only need to use some kind of metatag that automatically gets picked up by search engines? Or is there more to it than that?

Also, should we set up a space at the con? A table or a panel or something?

25. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Brian!!!!!!!!! Great idea! We NEED to set up a table at the comic con. That will be the way we will get the most members I think. Thousands of people will come by our table! We will have to sign up for shifts to work the table when it gets closer to the time.

And for chat, we definitely can't use Java. MACS and the system Sidious uses won't work with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.