main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN Website/Domain Suggestion/Offer

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Narf, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Narf

Jedi_Narf Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2006
    Hey all,

I was just looking at the Hoosier Alliance website and was just thinking about some possible things that could be changed or improved and I came up with this idea. Some of you (like umop and greedofan) know that I provide web and email hosting for my own domain and a few other people (umop being one of them). What I'm willing to do is:

1. Register a domain name for the Hoosier Alliance. In point of fact, right now www.hoosieralliance.org is available (or .net or .com), or if someone can think up something better I'll check and see if it's available. The most important reason for this is that we can tell people about us and provide an easy URL for them to remember.
    2. Host the current/new site.
    3. Provide email accounts and/or addresses to anyone in the club who wants one. That way Eric could be echo-3@hoosieralliance.org, Molly could be Sword_of_SPEA@hoosieralliance.org, etc. if they wanted to be. These could either be full email accounts or accounts that forward to people's current accounts.
    4. I'm also willing to offer my services as a web designer/programmer (which is what I do for my real job) to perhaps help out the site where I can, and perhaps programming something I've talked to greedofan about for a while: a toys/collectibles database where people could keep track of what they have and share it with others.

None of this has any strings attached to it, and I'm not expecting any money or anything from anybody in the group. Since I already have web hosting of my own this won't cost me anything extra. If people think this is a bad idea I'll drop it right now. I've just been trying to think how I can best serve the interests of the group, and I think this is something that could really help our public image.

Thanks, and tell me your thoughts!

Tim J. (Jedi_Narf)

2. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    SOUNDS GREAT Tim!!!
    I am also happy you join the board!
    If Sara D , dosent have a problem with it, I aprove!
    Thanks for the offer Tim.

Eric

3. TheQueenMother

TheQueenMother Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2004
    Yeah whatever.

4. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006
    Sweet! I'll start working on the new site and stuff right away. Since it is the most used and easiest to remember moniker, I'll register us under the name www.hoosieralliance.com.

What I will need is for anybody who would like an email address to tell me a: what would they like for it to be ([your choice]@hoosieralliance.com) and b: if they want it to be a fully hosted address (accessible via webmail and POP/IMAP) or simply a forwarding address (if so, tell me where you want it forwarded to).

I'll let people know when the new site and email stuff is ready to go!

T.

5. Bodknocks_

Bodknocks_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Hey Tim, here's a favicon I made for my XHML/CSS class in the spring:

http://mypage.iu.edu/~aschroug/hafavi.png

It's in png format, but it should work in all standard browsers that support favicons. I'm sure you know where to put it, and such. ;)

I'll see what everyone else is doing with their email addy before I put in my two credits.

6. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006
    Sweeeeeeeet. I might convert the file to Windows icon format (.ico) just to be sure it will work for everybody. I'll be sure to incorporate it into the new site. :)

In other news, I've completed the "paperwork" required to register the domain hoosieralliance.com. There will be a day or two delay while the DNSs and servers do their thing, but I'm guessing that by no later than Thursday night the new domain should be up and operational. In the meantime I'm going to work on a possible redesign of the old site with some of the changes I've been thinking about. I'll toss it up on the new domain for people to see when it's ready.

T.

7. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Tim
    Thank you for taking this on. Im sure what ever you deside on will kick butt.

8. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006
    Okay, the new website is up and running with my proposed changes! You can access it at:

http://www.hoosieralliance.com

Please let me know what you think! At any time I can also start setting up email accounts or forwarding for anybody who wants. The address would be [what you want]@hoosieralliance.com and if it is a full account you could access it via webmail/IMAP/POP3.

(And thanks for the vote of confidence, Eric. I do hope the site merits a "kicks butt" :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.