1. Attention Guest.

This region will undergo restructuring. For more information regarding this process, please visit this thread

Nash, TN Website Up and Running

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by JediToren, Sep 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay it's not at NashvilleForce.Com yet, but I have our website up and running at a temporary server for you guys and gals to evaluate and test. This is a Beta version of the site, so please read all of the notes listed below before you go surfing.

The URL is http://user.7host.com/jeditoren/

Browse around the website, try things out and tell me what you think.
    Since allot of the site's content is managed through ASP I have created several Demo member/user accounts for you guys so you can try things out and post news and what not.

Here are the existing accounts and what they do:

username: admin1, password: admin1, user level: Administrator
    This user level has full permissions and can do anything and everything that is related to the news, events calendar, polls, and user/member settings.

username: admin2, password: admin2, user level: regular admin
    Regular admin's have almost as much control as an Administrator, but cannot edit news settings, add or delete news categories, or edit or delete any user accounts other than their own.

username: admin3, password: admin3, user level: basic admin
    A basic admin can add/delete news articles in a specific category and add/edit/delete any Events.

username: regmember, password: regmember, userlevel: regular member
    Regular members are members who pay dues. They are allowed to participate in votes, and edit their member page.

username: basicmember, password: basicmember, user level: basic member
    This is the user level for members who do not pay dues. Basically, the only privilege they have that a random person who visits the site is they have a member page which they can edit.

You may use these accounts to do pretty much anything, please use them and try them out, but do not edit or delete any users, news articles, or events that already exist. If you would like to edit or delete a user account or news article or event then create one of your own. Also even if someone decides to abuase the user privleages all I have to do is overwrite the database.

Joining NashvilleForce.Com e-mail form:
    On the page that says Join Us, you will fill out a form that will be e-mailed to the hotmail address: nashvilleforce@hotmail.com. You can check this account to see what has come in. The password is tatooine, it is merely a demo account to show how the member submission process will work. Once we get it up and running at the domain name site it will e-mail to some kind of imap administator email account. Those who have permissions for adding new users will check that account on a regular basis and add them to the member database.

Reporting bugs:
    If you encounter a problem with the site, other than it being down which I can't help, please send me an e-mail at jeditoren@home.com with the following information

Design issues/feature requests, etc.
    For anything that is not a bug report, please post it here in this thread.

Operating System: (i.e. Windows 2000, Mac OSX, Windows ME, etc.)
    Browser Name and version (i.e. Netscape 6.1, MSIE 5.5)
    The specific problem you are having
    URL (address) of the page or file that you are on.

If the server gives you a page with nothing but text indicating errors of some sort, then copy that code and paste it into the e-mail as well.

Technical Issues:
    I have designed the page so that it looks great in Netscape 4.7, Netscape 6, and IE5. As far as client-side code goes it doesn't use anything pre-4.0, which all stats I have ever seen indiacate that 92-95% of all users are currently using 4.x and above. The site also uses a client-side JavaScript to detect the users screen resolution and redirect them to a page with a site prepared for their settings. Right now it only supports 800x600 and 1024x768. If there are still folks out there using the site at 640x480 I will add support in the final version of the site.

The site can be slow sometimes, that is primarily due to the hosting service. The bad thing about most free ASP hosts like 7host is that users often write bad ASP co
  2. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Also we need to start looking for a permantant webhost. Please post URL's and prices. These services need the following things:

1) Full ASP 3.0 Support including the CDONTS (Collaborative Data Objects for NT Server) object and support for Microsoft Access 97 and 2000 database connections (DSN not required) (preferrebly on Microsoft Internet Information Server 5 on Windows 2000)

2) At least 50MB of space, preferably 100MB. As our members increase we will need lotsa a room for pics and maybe even sounds (i.e. ads for jeditalk radio show)

3) Protected directories (preferably outside of the main web directory) that are not accessable to the public but where scripts can be run and access databases can be accessed.

4) FTP access

5) At least 5 POP3 and/or IMAP mail accounts (at least 1 IMAP is needed)

6) Regular server backups

7) At least 1 mirror

8) good technical support

9) 99% garunteed uptime

Many webhosts today now do domain name registration for free. Please note if they do this or not.

Also post what server software the are running.
  3. padmeamidala55 Jedi Master

star 4
    look good keep up the good work I want to be a regular member
  4. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm glad you like it. Did you try logging in and playing around with the interactive elements of the site like adding events, news items, creating a user account, etc.
  5. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Wow, JT! Nice job on the site! Very good job on the About Us page as well. Did you or PA write that? Verrrry cool. ;)
  6. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    I ended up writing that. padme's stuff was good and it had all the info there that I wanted, but I needed to parcel the info out on the page, e.g. all membership related things needed to be in a FAQ. I wasn't really clear about that when Iasked tho.
  7. Steja_Palex Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Matt, great job on the site!! Although I did notice one thing. It says you have to live within 150 miles of Nashville. Well, I live 181 miles from Nashville. Do I need to see if I can get something a little closer up and going or what? The only place closer is Memphis and hardly anyone posts on that board. I live pretty close to Paducah, but I don't think it has a post either on the Midwest region. I guess I just live in the boonies...LOL Hama? Elan? You guys have any ideas?
  8. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just surfing through, and I want to say, great site. You've done an excellent job with it. :)
  9. Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA

star 6
    We've got members from as far away as Arkansas, so I'm not sure we should put a distance limitation. If you make it to the Nashville area once in a while, that should be good enough.
  10. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Alright sounds good I will get rid of the distance limitation. That was primarily to prevent joe blow from applying from say, Tucson Arizona. But seeing as how it's just a web form we can screen them.
  11. padmeamidala55 Jedi Master

star 4
    the website is neat i didn't really but I have time now and i will look
  12. penzargrat Force Ghost

star 1
    Great job on the website! I was pleasantly surprised to see Quest For Vengeance as the main story there on the page! Yayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Vee Force Ghost

star 3
    Steja: Eight months out of the year, I'm in the boonies, too (Martin).

As for webhosts, I've used two: Addr.com and phpwebhosting.com. Addr is slightly less expensive and supports ASP, but offers only 50 MB of space. Php does not offer ASP support, but has virtually unlimited space.

I paid only $119 for 13 months with Php this year, and around that for 13 months with Addr.
  14. Steja_Palex Jedi Master

star 4
    Well Vee, I'm not far from you at all...I'm in Union City.
  15. padmeamidala55 Jedi Master

star 4
    try bravenet.com it has free/paid website hosting, the free website hosting includes a domain name and at 2000 text pages and 10,000 photo pages you can also get all of those if you wanted to pay It would omly be as low as $5.83 a month just an ideal
  16. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay regarding bravenet guys I checked in out there is no ASP so that is out.
    You may notice that you get the following error when going to the site:
    Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e10'

Too few parameters. Expected 1.

/jeditoren/newsview/news.asp, line 13
    This is because there is now a banner on the page which somehow interrupts the ASP. If you reload it works fine. I am gonna see how to fix that.
  17. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Hey JT, just checking in with ya to see how the FF website is going. Making any progress? :)

Also, has Penzar touched base with you on what days reshoots are? I think he plans to bring the models with him to show you.
  18. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    The website is and has been done for a while. We actually need to fork over the cash and buy the webhosting package and get it up on it's final resting place. Prefereably before Oct. 16. Penzar hasn't gotten ahold of me yet. I the reshoot dates start Oct19 or something like that, but I am still waiting on the script and various other details. Right now I am just modeling stuff for the Imperial Base Establishing shot.
  19. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Very cool. I can't wait to see what you've done on the Imperial Base. I haven't messed with 3d all that much, so I'd even be interested in seeing "how" you did it too. ;)
  20. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    Basically it's gonna be a a rectagularish base with a few landing platforms and a docking bay or two. An AT-AT walker or two will be in the background, as well as an Imperial Lambda-class shuttle, marching stormtroopers, and maybe a few Imperial officers depending on where the base is.
  21. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Keep in mind, this base is located in a junglish environment: lots of greenery around it.

I wasn't sure if Penzar had mentioned it to you. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.