main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Wedding Gifts" (J/J, slight K/J, romance and angst) - COMPLETE 11/1!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by stickster, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stickster

stickster Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    Title: Wedding Gifts
    Author: Stickster
    Timeframe: AU, 2-3 years after ?The Unifying Force?
    Characters: Jaina Solo, Kyp Durron, Han Solo, Anakin Solo, Jag Fel
    Genre: Angst, then romance, fluff, joy, love, etc.
    Keywords: J/J, slight K/J
    Summary: On her wedding day, Jaina talks with some of the men in her life.
    Notes: This takes place between "Nothing Like the Moon" and "Shatter" - but it is NOT necessary to have read those stories. There are no references to any of the events in them.
    Also, er, third-person omniscient has EATEN MY SOUL, for which I apologize profusely.

The last line of this first part is shamelessly gacked from "Love Actually," which is a great movie. Similarly, nothing about this story is mine except the words themselves ? the characters, places etc. belong to Lucasfilm and many other people. But not me.

Finally, this is the first part of a four-part story. All the parts are at least halfway done, so everything will be up this week. :) Enjoy!

Jaina couldn't take her eyes off of her own reflection.

It was silly, she knew, and she was more than a little embarrassed by it--but she couldn't help it. She had never really registered the fact that she was an adult, a woman, and that she had grown to be quite as beautiful as her mother. When Jaina pictured herself, she still saw the skinny girl she'd been on Yavin IV, or sometimes the dirty, exhaused pilot she had become during the war.

Jaina had never imagined herself this way: wearing a perfectly fitted white dress, her brown hair falling in thick curls around her shoulders and her calloused hands perfectly manicured. Looking in the full-length mirror on her wedding day was like seeing herself for the first time.

Lost in her thoughts, she jumped as a knock came at the door.

"Come in," Jaina said breathlessly, expecting her mother, maybe, or Jacen.

Kyp Durron entered instead, looking typically dramatic with his long, dark hair and sweeping cape. "Hey, Goddess," he said, grinning slightly.

"Kyp!" she exclaimed, crossing to him and hugging him tightly around the waist. "Uncle Luke said you weren't coming."

He extracted himself from her grip gracefully. "I'm still not," he said, and the lack of regret in his voice was conspicuous. "I'm sorry--duty calls."

"Of course," she said--the regret in her voice nearly tangible. "So, what are you doing here?"

"Wedding present."

"You couldn't have just added it to the pile?" Jaina teased.

"Well," he said, and he finally had the grace to look uncomfortable, "this isn't really--for both of you."

"So it's not another pressure cooker?"

"Not quite," he said. In spite of her joking, the expression in his green eyes was serious, even sad.

She swallowed, a little apprehensive. "Okay," she said slowly. "What is it?"

Kyp pulled a small box out of his pocket. "This is just--" He tried to collect himself, to gather his thoughts into words she could understand. "You've been a better friend to me than I could ever deserve and--I'm happy for you," he said finally, thinking that his words sounded hollow even to his own ears. "You deserve this chance."

As Jaina looked at him curiously, he opened the box and pulled out a necklace--a long silver chain with a charm on the end. He held it out for her, and she took it.

The charm was simple: an "X" formed by a lightsaber and an old-fashioned durasteel sword, connected at the center with a tiny violet gem.

"Kyp," she began, then stopped, unable to work any sound past the lump in her throat.

"Like it?" he managed after a moment.

Jaina nodded, then spoke quietly. "Put it on?"

He took the necklace and lifted the hair off of her neck, careful not to disturb the dark curls. He was acutely aware of the warmth of her skin as he clasped the chain around her neck.

"Thank you," she whispered, fingering the charm lightly before letting it fall against the shimmersilk bodice of her dress.

Kyp kissed her on the forehead. "Don't forget who you are," he said, tucking her hair back behind her ears.

"Do you

2. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Oh, my goodness! I hate you! You're evil! [face_devil]

But in a very well-written sort of way. ;) :D

No really, that was extremely well-written, even if you are torturing my Kyp. :p I can't wait for the Han and the Anakin posts!

Is it too soon to ask for more?

3. JediTristan

JediTristan Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    OOOOH!! STICKSTER!!!

*dies of happiness*

miss stickster, you need to postie more goodness!! *realizes the hypocrisy of such a statement, but doesn't care*

MMM. My fave part was Jaina being all womanly. That was mucho striking.

Yay for you!

4. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Wow, thats quite a conflict.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ohhh, very touching. I look forward to more.

6. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Beautifully done stickster.

"Notice how you don't want me to keep you out of trouble," Kyp pointed out wryly.

"Of course not. That's impossible. I'm a Solo, remember?"

That is fact.

Finally Kyp tore his gaze away and entered the turbolift. "Enough," he murmured, the taste of Jaina's lips still on his tongue and on his mind. "Enough now."

Poor Kyp. :_|

That's ok. There's someone better for him, out there.

*raises hand to volunteer for his OC love interest* ;) ;)

7. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    :_|

Kyp!!!

Wonderful way to tie in Love Actually...I have always been convinced that Jaina and Kyp were attracted to each other, though whether that amounted to anything more is something I leave to people who know their characters better.

I'm already depressed about the wedding.:_|

8. ImperialSpy

ImperialSpy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2005
    Wow, this looks great so far. I can't wait for more!

9. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Well Kyp needed to understand Jaina and if this is the prequel to "Shatter" then he understood her very well. Hey at least he got that small kiss at the end. Feel lucky dude or it would have been you on Jags place in "Shatter" :p

10. stickster

Jul 10, 2005
    Jedi_Jaina_Durron - No really, that was extremely well-written, even if you are torturing my Kyp.
    :D Thanks! If you can't tell between this and "Shatter," I'm, um, slightly obsessed with the K/J/J love triangle. And Kyp is really fun to torture, so he always seems to get the short end of the stick.

JediTristan - *dies of happiness*
    Hehe! Oh no, don't do that! ::revives::
    Yay for you!
    Oh, but not yay for the paper I didn't write since I worked on this last night...
    But this was soo much more fun.

FelsGoddess - Wow, thats quite a conflict.
    Heh...is that a good thing or a bad thing? ;) It is a conflict, of course, because I love conflict - but her decision's made.

Healer_Leona - Thanks much :D I'm glad you liked it.

Lola64 - That is fact.
    Yes, it is, Tenel Ka :p
    That's ok. There's someone better for him, out there.
    Not in this story :( Poor boy. He'll be pining for Jaina until...
    well, her husband dies.
    Heh heh. [face_devil]

Inara - I love that movie so much. And, yeah - I'm quite unhappy with the dismissal of their relationship in the Dark Nest trilogy, because I do think there's something to Kyp and Jaina, at least as friends. (And it's so much more fun when it's something more...)

ImperialSpy - Don't worry, you won't have to wait long :)

Chimpo_the_Sith - Feel lucky dude or it would have been you on Jags place in "Shatter"
    [face_laugh] Indeed! He got the best of both worlds - he kisses the girl, and he gets to live!

Exciting - Next part's finished up - just needs to be formatted after class, and it should be posted this afternoon!

11. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    "Enough," he murmured, the taste of Jaina's lips still on his tongue and on his mind. "Enough now."

I just watched that movie with my roommate Saturday night. I love that movie mucho. [face_love]

Don't forget to PM your story info to the Jaina_Jag_Index so we can put this in the database. :)

12. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Oh :_|

I've even got the perfect song playing for this first post, too, which makes it all the sadder. Kyp has progressed from being one of my least favorite characters to one of my favorite, and it's so painfully right for his heart to be broken like this. So sad, and so good all at the same time.

13. stickster

Jul 10, 2005
    Well, my new favorite professor let our class out 45 minutes early today, so I am here with a post earlier than I thought I'd be. :D Couple quick replies:

BigFatty - Oh, I know :) It makes me so happy, and I definitely watch it far too often. I'm afraid of wearing down the DVD.

TheCrazyRodian - Ooh! May I ask what song? :D
    it's so painfully right for his heart to be broken like this
    I know...in case the guy hasn't had his fair share of problems, right? ::hugs Kyp:: Oh well. That's what happens when you're a Star Wars character ;)

Aaand...on to the post!

Jaina smiled up at her father and held out her elbow. He took it, then looked over at her. "Are you ready for this?"

"It's a little late to be asking me that, don't you think?" she teased.

"No." Han's voice was unusually serious.

"Dad," Jaina said, "I want this."

Han turned to look down the aisle at the man who was about to steal his daughter. Jag Fel stood in his dress uniform, hands clasped in front of him, the picture of composure: nothing in his stance or his face betrayed the anxiousness and excitement he was almost certainly feeling.

Han resented that--he considered it a personal failing that the boy looked so calm. Han had sure been terrified on his wedding day, and he'd never even met Leia's father. Good thing, too, he thought, considering who her father was. Still, Han was pretty sure he was capable of striking fear into the hearts of even the bravest men--especially when they were dating his daughter.

He narrowed his eyes. "I don't like him, sweetheart," he confided through the corner of his mouth.

His daughter frowned and kicked him lightly in the ankle. "We both know that's not true."

"Fine," Han said. "He might be better than that unwashed vent-crawler you hung around with when you were a kid--"

"Daddy, Zekk is here, be nice--"

"But that doesn't mean he's good enough for my only daughter," he finished stubbornly.

Jaina raised an eyebrow at him, an expression so like Han's own that it made his heart ache. "Would anyone be good enough for your only daughter?"

Han weighed the question carefully, then mirrored her quirked eyebrow as he replied, only half-joking, "Weren't the Jedi in the Old Republic celibate?"

"Daddy," she said again, laughing. He thought that it had been too long since she'd called him that; wondered if he would ever hear it again. "Come on. It's not so bad--you and Mom have that apartment on Denon, we'll see you all the time. And Jag's a good man." Her eyes followed Han's up to the altar. "I'm pretty sure all of us, including you, owe him our lives."

This caused Han to frown again. "This isn't about me owing him anything--which I don't, by the way--it's about my right as a father to take any man who comes within a hundred meters of you and feed him to a rancor."

In spite of his words, his gaze softened as he looked back and forth between Jaina and her fiancé, who, Han was pleased to note, was beginning to look antsy. Good. Let him wait, Han thought.

"And, Jaina?"

"Yeah?"

"It isn't about what you owe someone," Han said, looking straight ahead. This sentimental stuff made him almost as uncomfortable as the suit he was wearing, but it was his daughter's wedding day, and he was pretty sure something corny was in order.

And he figured that if it had to be corny, it might as well be true.

"Look, kid," he continued, "You and Jag haven't had it easy, and it's not going to get any easier. And if you keep worrying about whether or not you deserve him--"

Jaina looked at him incredulously, as if wondering how he knew her not-so-secret fears, and he shrugged. "What? You think your brother and I don't talk?"

When the surprise in her features didn't lessen, Han sighed. "Women," he muttered, exasperated. "Like I was saying. This isn't about what you owe each other. I mean, if it was about what we deserved, there's about a mynock's chance on Hoth that your mom would still be with me. What matters i

14. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Very sweet. And don't worry, your Han seemed pretty dead on. Poor dads giving up their baby girls...

15. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Oooh. Another post. =D=

Nice job stickster. I think you did excellent with Han giving his daughter away.

Can't wait for more. More Kyp!!!!

16. stickster

Jul 10, 2005
    BigFatty - And don't worry, your Han seemed pretty dead on. Poor dads giving up their baby girls...
    Thanks :D And oh, I know - my poor dad has four daughters, and one of my sisters just got engaged. I think he's going to have a panic attack at the wedding...

Lola64 - Can't wait for more. More Kyp!!!!
    :( Sorry, no more Kyp in this one...he reeeally doesn't want to be at that wedding.
    But! There will be lots of Kyp once "Shatter" finally gets updated, so don't give up...hehe.

17. Chimpo_the_Sith

Mar 15, 2003
    Hehe :) Han things like this happen so live with it... It's hard at the begining but he should survive it :)

But I must say that Jag isn't a favourite when it comes to people around Jaina. Kyp and Han aren't to happy about this wedding.

18. stickster

Jul 10, 2005
    Chimpo - Yeah, he'll probably make it ;) And I don't think it's that they don't like Jag, so much as they don't like the idea that Jaina's getting married. (Or, in Kyp's case, that she's getting married to someone else...:eek: Poor guy!)

19. Chimpo_the_Sith

Mar 15, 2003
    I actually always wondered why no author ( besides Keyes and his K/J hints ) has ever decided to give Kyp a love interest?

But that's a long topic to talk and it's not a place here to discuss it so take this post as just loud thinking...

20. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I love the vent-crawler remark. It so funny! [face_laugh]

Great!

21. skywalker64089

skywalker64089 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Very nice. If this is continuing, I will be following.

S.

22. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    i loved it...I found it thanks to felsgoddes and i'm glad i did this is great!!! You did a great job with Han by the way

23. stickster

Jul 10, 2005
    FelsGoddess - I know :D I love it. Wish I could take credit...but, you know, in a thread that's populated mostly be Jaina/Jag shippers, Denning needs all the credit he can get ;) And thank you for bringing new people over to the thread... [:D]

Skywalker64089 - Thanks! Two more parts...

Goddess45 - Thanks :) Han's kinda scary to write, I'm glad you liked him.

All - Sorry I still don't have the next post up (I should never say I'll post something on a specific day)...I've been more swamped with school/work stuff than I expected, and this post is taking me longer than I expected anyway. Soo ::crosses fingers:: tomorrow? We shall see.

24. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Awww this is so sweet. I love the idea. I can't wait for the next part.

25. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    That was another lovely post, stickster. Great characterization of Han and Jaina, and a wonderful little look at their relationship. I especially loved the "Daddy" touch.

Is it too soon to ask for more?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.