main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wedge a coward

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Tate, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Tate

Darth_Tate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2003
    Sorry about that

Anyway,not sure if this has been posted, but I just don't understand Wedge. How could he leave Luke and Biggs stranded, when Yavin was at stake. I was surprised that he wasn't fired from the Alliance for his cowardness. I mean, I know he made up for it in ROTJ but his actions in ANH leave much to be desired.

2. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    "Get outta there, Wedge, you can't do much good back there!" (or something along those lines) - Luke to Wedge in ANH...

It wasn't cowardice...his X-Wing was damaged by Vader...and Luke ordered him to fall-back. Plain and simple.

Wedge Antilles is no coward. ;)

Shelby

3. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    When you have a busted ship, it isn't the best idea to keep flying on with people with unbusted ships. He would have either slowed the whole group down and got them all killed, or got left behind and be killed. He did the best thing under the cirumstances, and everybody knew it. Plus, Luke ordered him out. He's in the army - he has to follow orders.

4. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Luke made a good decision in letting Wedge go. Luke didn't want to see Wedge killed in an accident.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
  6. Estel

Estel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2000
    I'm pretty sure Wedge Antilles outranked the moisture farmer cum pilot, Luke Skywalker. Therefore the order to get clear would normally be ignored...Red Leader, Dutch, they didn't bail when the shooting started, they stayed and took the flak.

7. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Luke had been put in charge of that run. Therefore, his orders stood.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

Dak Oolron likes this.
  8. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Wedge is da man.

9. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I don't think Wedge was a coward. His ship was damaged. And Luke ordered him to leave. Wedge wouldn't be much help with a damaged ship. Had he stayed behind, he would have been killed, and that would be one more horrible toll for the Rebel Alliance.

10. Gaeri

Gaeri Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 12, 2003
    He flew into the Second Death Star, and it was even bigger.

He's got to have brass ones for that.

11. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Hey, at least he said SORRY!

12. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Wedge caught a lucky break. He managed to survive against the Dark Lord of the Sith. How many other pilots can say that? :p

His ship was damaged, and it would've been foolhardy to attempt to stay. One might argue that he decelerate hard and try to kamikaze Vader, but it most likely wouldn't have worked, and there's no way Luke would've given that order.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  13. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    How do you know that Wedge outranked Luke? Wedge could have been just as green as Luke. The DS might have been his first mission.

Obviously Luke outranked Wedge.

14. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Wedge had been with the Rebels longer, but Luke was put in charge of that run. I don't know why, but promotions just sort of fall into your lap when you're the main character.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Biggs and Wedge were there to effectively be an extra set of shields for Luke. When Wedge got hit, he couldn't keep flying at the same speed as the other two, so he had no choice but to pull out, since he wouldn't have been able to do anything else.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  16. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Wedge is no coward.

17. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I never liked Wedge, but he redeemed himself in ROTJ, so I don't mind what he did in ANH.

18. Darth_Tate

Darth_Tate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2003
    My bad, my bad.

I thought by Luke's tone that he was frustrated at Wedge for wanting to pull out. Meaning that Wedge leaving would be pointless if there wasn't going to be a planet in the next minute or two. Besides, Luke's X wing took some hits and he still stayed in the game. I mean, these rebel pilots knew that they probably wouldn't make it back alive. And Wedge giving Luke cover to get down the trench was his job, even if it was for a few seconds.

19. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    The damage Luke took was repairable on the fly. The flying capabilities of Wedge's fighter had been considerably reduced. If he couldn't keep up, he couldn't provide cover.

I always took Luke's tone as being concerned for his friend. He sent Wedge back because there literally wasn't anything left he could do. Wedge never asked to pull out, he only reported the damage. Luke was the one who said he had to go back.

As for there not being a planet there in a few minutes... that was just another reason to blow the Death Star up. Luke knew that if he succeeded, the Alliance would still need good pilots. Hence, it was better for Wedge to leave a scene he couldn't help with.

Isn't the line something like "You can't do anymore good back there?"

Dak Oolron likes this.
  20. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    A damaged ship is no good to the pilot or the group. If your ship is damaged, it's best to turn around and head for home.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  21. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    Luke was able to blow up the death star thus Wedge gave him enough cover. If he would have stayed the only differance to the whole story would be Wedge would be dead. Everything worked out ok so it doesn't matter.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  22. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Wedge is no coward. The guy flew into the 2nd Death Star, plus he fought at Hoth and all the other battles taking place after ROTJ.

23. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I still love his lame "Sorry!" though :D
    But yeah, he's no coward [face_mischief]
    No coward would ever be able to deliver the line "Woohah! That got 'im!"

Dak Oolron likes this.
  24. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    wedge is definitely not a coward nor does he display any cowardice in the movies (or books for that matter)......wedge antilles is a great character to have in the OT and star wars overall....read the rogue squadron series and you'll really appreciate wedge more in the movies.....(and you'll wish more space battle scenes had been filmed with him in it)...

Dak Oolron likes this.
  25. Lord_Fett

Lord_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    IMHO Wedge is a great fighter and he wasn´t at all coward when he retreated.The man had saved Luke before,when he nearly collided with a TIE fighter.In the famous trench run,despite of rank,Luke was point man,so he was the leader.When Wedge got hit he said "I can´t STAY(or go,i´m not sure)with you"-this means that he had an engine trouble.If he tried a "reverse" kamikaze attack,Vader and his gang would simply climb thus avoiding him.Nonetheless,Wedge only broke the formation when Luke ordered him to do ti.When The Death Star gets blwon up,Wedge his near Luke when returning to Yavin-he probably stayed in the DS till the very end,shooting TIE´s and so on.

Dak Oolron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.