main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wedge Antilles should have been banished!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Nazgul_Rider, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazgul_Rider

Nazgul_Rider Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2002
    "Wedge you can't do any good back there."
    "Sorry."

I despise Wedge. He left his rebel companions in a cowardly fashion, and should have been exiled from the Rebel Alliance. He could've at least come from behind Vader and the two Empire pilots and fired at them. But no, he tucked his tail between his legs and took off. He was probably in the lounge back at the Rebel base eating twinkies and drinking coffee while Luke was doing all the hard work.

Anyone agree with my contempt for Wedge???

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001

I think that's the key quote. He was told to leave. And he definitely redeemed himself during the Battle at Endor.

Amazing.

3. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    If he had stayed, he only would have gotten himself killed.

OMg Luke shuld have stayed at the house becuz he let his ant and uncle die with no help!!1!11

Had he been there, he would have been killed too.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wedge was not in a lounge eating twinkies and drinking coffee after he left the trench. If you notice right when the Death Star is about to blow and the rebel ships flee, you will see the Falcon, a single Y-wing, and two X-wings...one of which was Wedge.

5. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Wedge was not in a lounge eating twinkies and drinking coffee after he left the trench.

Obviously he was still involved in the space battle, since Yavin IV was bantha poodoo if Luke didn't hit the shot.

6. Blix

Blix Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2002
    Wedge's X-Wing was damaged. Why would he stay just to be killed?

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The point was Wedge took a hit to a critical system and either couldn't take the shot anymore or couldn't sustain another hit. Maybe he lost weapons or something. What was Wedge supposed to do, stay there in Luke's way and get everyone killed?

8. Nazgul_Rider

Nazgul_Rider Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2002
    No one is replying to my idea that he could have gone in behind them and fired at them. Wedge's ship problem was not a weapons malfunction, but a navigation or propulsion problem.

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    At the time he didn't have the ability to do that. The X-Wings providing cover int he trench run were doing one thing. They were staying between Vader and Luke so that it would take Vader longer to get to him. Basically, they were supposed to sacrifice themselves, so Luke had enough time. When wedge got hit, his engines were damaged to the point where he couldn't fly with enough speed to do any good. He would fallen back farther and farther nad been completely out of it. He was of no use as cover anymore. He couldn't keep up.

Had he fallen back and come in behind, Vader would have simply sent one of the two TIEs back to take care of him quickly. But Vader knew Wedge didn't have the ability to pose any threat in his condition, which was why he told his wingmen to stay with him.

10. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Had he fallen back and come in behind, Vader would have simply sent one of the two TIEs back to take care of him quickly. But Vader knew Wedge didn't have the ability to pose any threat in his condition, which was why he told his wingmen to stay with him.

"Stay on the leader."

If Wedge came behind, or shot a torpedo from afar, and missed, hitting Luke, or causing debris to hit Luke, he would have ruined everything.

He did the smart thing by pulling away to [relative] safety.

11. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    Please, Wedge does not deserve to be dissed! Luke ordered him to pull out (so it's not that Wedge ran because he chickened out or anything; in fact, I believe that without Luke telling him to pull out, he would just have stayed around and died, and what good would have been accomplished by that, if I may ask?); and yes, Wedge couldn't have done any good anymore. And nevertheless, he alway felt sorry/guilty later on b/c he could stay around. What to speak of the fact that he did his fair share of brave fighting on many, many occasions (including blowing up Death Star Mk. II together w/ Lando). IMHO, it goes without saying that he certainly didn't deserve to be expelled from the Rebel Alliance, but I will say it nevertheless just to make it clear. Wedge Antilles is a hero, period.

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "Wedge's ship problem was not a weapons malfunction, but a navigation or propulsion problem."

If it was a navigation or propulsion problem, then he'd never have been able to catch up to Vader and the other two TIEs, so it's all a moot point.

Amazing.

13. Blix

Blix Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2002
    I've always been curious to why Luke got to lead the group in when it was his first time in an X-Wing and his first mission.

14. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    He didn't, red one took a shot missed got killed luke came in second and started the run, all x wings were preped to destroy!

Axl.

15. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    Hey, Wedge wasn't the one that came up with the needlessly long trench run!

Don't bust on Wedge! I'll have to lay the smack down on yo' ass, biatch!

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wedge was following orders, nothing more. Would you rather have him fool around and potentially mess things up?

17. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Wow, its amazing how much people stand behind a secondary character like wedge, and another notw, who do you think will apear in more history books, wedge or luke... i've been bouncing that question in my head for a while.

18. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Why banish? Kill him!

8-}

19. Jedi_Master_Hammer

Jedi_Master_Hammer Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2002
    The other people said most of the things in Wedge's defense, so I would just be repeating the other posts.

Wedge Antilles is one of the greatest heros of the Alliance, and you will see evidence of that if you like/read EU.
    But even without EU, it is obvious that Wedge is a hero. Period.

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The reason Luke led the attack run instead of Wedge or Biggs was because Red Leader ordered him to.

21. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Wedge would be in the history books-even without the EU-because he and Lando blew up the second Death Star.

Luke was right. Wedge would have been in a bad position, endangering himself, when he would be needed later. He was NOT a coward, and do not dis my Wedge baby!!!

22. Lyta_Skywalker

Lyta_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2002
    I guess everything I have to say will be repeating those who are standing tall for Wedge. I will do it anyway. So here goes.

As has been said before that line, says it all

Wedge was ordered out by Luke. End of discussion. Luke was most likely the one chosen to actually lead the final attack because he was experienced in this type of attack, from his quote:

"But it's not impossible," protested Luke. "I used to bulls-eye womp-rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters."

This would have most probably been backed up by Biggs, and put Luke nominally in charge of a run against the exhaust port putting him over Wedge at the time of the run. So Wedge had no option except to follow Luke's orders. Which he did grudgingly and reluctantly.

Wedge had engine and navigation problems, most likely he had LITTLE chance of even pulling out, much less going after Vader and the other two TIE's in the trench run, he did what he was ordered to do, and that is all there is to it.

Wedge has been trying to make up for following that order for his entire career, and IMHO has aquitted himself remarkably. There is no reason for him to be expelled from the Alliance or NR as he was just following orders.

So unless you have some facts here to back up your alligations, do not go around accusing people of treason.

23. -Jaina-

-Jaina- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2002
    What all those peeps who spoke in defense of Wedge said... :p

Though I agree most with Devi.

And have you seen Wedge in the comics? He's pretty cute!

Though, that is not why I'm reiterating Wedge's defense.

24. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Going back wasn't an easy choice to make, but he would be a liability if he stayed in the trench.

25. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Banished to where? The gungan city?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.