main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wedge Antilles should have been banished!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Nazgul_Rider, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    DarthStote
    ----------------
    Wedge is a great and intrical character in the OT trilogy.
    ----------------
    integral (or maybe you meant intricate?) You might want to back up your assertion with some facts.

Daughter_of_Yubyub, could you please elaborate? At what point does this happen?

2. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    *more EUness*

In Rogue Squadron, Corran takes damage and Wedge orders him to go back to the base and abort his run. That's when Wedge realizes why Luke ordered him out of the trench.

3. Kriana

Kriana Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2002
    Wedge should definitely NOT be banished! First of all, I play Luke in several online RPG's, and I would have to say, that if I ordered Wedge out of the trench, and he stayed, and managed NOT to get himself killed, he would be facing a courtmartial for insubordination.

So, he was following orders-- some fighter pilots think they can disregard orders and pull whatever it was they're doing off. Ok, when it works it's heroic, but when it fails... just stupid.

So not only was he following orders, but he sensed that it was a situation where he would do no more good to disregard orders. That makes him not only intelligent but wise.

Also, he is really cute ^_^

4. Lyta_Skywalker

Lyta_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2002
    [color=660066]Star Wars X-Wing Book 1: Rogue Squadron by Michael A. Stackpole - page 347/348

Wedge checked his scanners. "We have a squadron of Interceptors headed our direction."

"What do you want to do? I'm good for another run."

"Another run would be suicide, Nine, and you don't have the fuel to play."

"Sir, I'm good for another run."

Wedge shook his head. "You're heading home while you can still get there."

"No."

"That's an order, Nine, not an invitation to debate." Wedge could feel Corran's disappointment. It's exactly what I felt when Luke ordered me out of the trench on the first Death Star run. "Get clear, Corran. You can't do any more good back there."

Dejection filled Corran's voice. "As ordered, sir. What are you going to do?"

"Blowing the conduit is out mission and the others can't break off to do it." Wedge Antilles slowly smiled. "What the Imps have set up will stop almost any pilot. I'm going to remind them that in Rogue Squadron we don't take just any pilot."

Star Wars X-Wing Book 5: Wraith Squadron by Aaron Allston - pgs 115/116

Wedge emerged from the far side of that cluster of fighters certain that he'd hit a TIE fighter, equally certain that he'd vaped an intereceptor and winged one or two other enemies. He glanced beside him and was reassured to see Jesmin still on his wing. "Two, this is Leader. Status?"

"Leader, I'm hit. I show significant damage to etheric rudder."

"Can your R2 patch it up?"

"I think so. He's shrieking at me not to maneuver, though. He says it will tear apart the few connections I have left."

Wedge bit his lip. If that report was accurate and Jesmin returned to the fight, she'd probably lose maneuverability fast - and that would make her an easy target for opportunistic TIE pilots. "Two, bread off. Return to Folor Base, maneuvering by engines only. Take up station there and keep me updated."

"Yes, Sir." Even with comm distortion, there was no mistaking the resignation in her voice. Wedge felt for her; he knew she'd be berating herself for failing the squadron. He'd felt that way himself eight years ago, when ordered to break off his attack on the first Death Star. But he had not time to play morale officer now. He waited until she locked her strike foils back into cruise formation and began her long, gentle curve back toward base, the he looped around in a tight arc and headed back toward the fight.[/color]

[color=006699]These scenes are from Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron respectively, and show how Wedge had to issue similar orders to his people, and how he understood completely how they each felt. Thank you[/color] Daughter_of_Yubyub [color=006699]for bringing that section to my memory, as I had forgotten about it though Wedge had remembered the other.[/color]

5. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    WAC, DoY, Kriana and Lyta excellent.

I could not have said it better myself.

6. Wormy

Wormy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 1999
    Wedge kicks ass. Nothing more need be said.

7. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    If he would have been banished, how would have taken out the north tower on DS2.

8. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Easy,
    He couldn't come around and hit from behind due to the fact that his upper right engine was gone. He couldn't accelerate to attack speed anymore, so he could not provide any more support.

9. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Wedge did what he had to do. He could do no good and was told to leave. Plain and simple.

10. Darth_Bantha

Darth_Bantha Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2002
    Has anyone consdered that if perhaps he had been a better pilot, he could have avoided being hit in the first place?
    Just a thought...

11. GavinsGirl

GavinsGirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2001
    I don't think Wedge's piloting skills had anything to do with it Darth Bantha. Just the fact that he survived both Death Star runs and the Hoth evacuation I think is obvious proof of his piloting skills. He was up against Vader, and Luke Skywalker would have died because of Vader if Han didn't show up.
    "I have you now."

And no. I don't think that Wedge should be banished from the Alliance. I won't give the all reasons why because I'd only be repeating what everybody else has said.

12. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Wedge couldn't do much more, plus why waste an X-Wing?, I don't think the Rebellion could just easily waste ships with their budget.

13. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Glad to see so many people defending Wedge. He's only one of the greatest men... oh, ever.

[face_love]Wedge [face_love]

14. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
  15. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    I am not seeing this thread. I *KNOW* this thread does not exist. I know this midget will not have to dispense some pro-Wedge justice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.