main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Wedge fans sign in here! (v 2.0)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Mirax Terrik, Apr 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    I think I just lost geek points. That went WAY over my head....

2. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    Enchantments?

*waits to see who gets the reference*

3. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Are you a dwarf? Sandal, or something?

4. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    One day the magic will come back - all of it. Everyone will be just like they were. The shadows will part and the skies will open wide.

:D

Evil.

5. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    I bow to your superior nerd knowledge. I am humbled.

6. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Being a Mandalorian is not tied down to a single planet or system. Like being a Jedi or Sith, being a Mandalorian is a state of mind. So yes, by my defintion of a Mandalorian (True Mandalorian) she is not one. Of course by her new mandalorian defintions I am not one either. So what you are saying is true, from a certain point of view. We actually hashed this out pretty well in the Mando thread, but I won't bore you all with the gory details. Besides, clan affairs are best left unseen by aruetiise. Suffice to say, even if she survives the clone wars, we all know that eventually many mandalorians are enslaved by the Empire, before being freed by Shyssa. The fact that many if not most "mandalorians" belonged to the peacnik sect is what probably made that enslavement possible. So she will fall, eventually. It is unavoidable. It is her destiny.

7. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    *coughs*

Wow, it's dusty in here! *drags in cleaning droids and sets to with a dustbuster*

Rereading Wraith Squadron recently, something occurred to me - I mean, it occurred to me ages ago, but now I have somewhere to discuss it! So...

In that scene with the mechanics and the new X-wings, who thinks Wedge was trolling Cubber and Kell? He's a mechanic himself, surely he knows the basics of X-wing repair and maintenance - and whether or not they have such things as 'extruder valves'. So he knows they're having a go and hangs around so they have to pretend to work to avoid revealing their bluff.

Who else thinks this is more than plausible for the guy who made Wes Janson run around naked wearing food smears and a stuffed Ewok?

8. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    I think they ended up trolling each other, given the stories that the mechanics were telling each other.

9. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Yes, but Wedge KNOWS what they're trying to do. I doubt the mechanics would realise that he's onto them. Therefore, Wedge OWNS them.

:D Just my little Wedge-fan theory....

10. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Or Wedge simply didn't care since he had a chance to mess with Han Solo, someone much better than mechanics.

11. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Ha ha, very good point that. Or, Wedge just wanted to troll everybody. He is the Envy of All Corellia, after all!

12. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Yeah that's a very good possibility as well.

13. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I'll sign, for sure. The X-Wing series is easily my favorite EU series. Wedge is easily my favorite character, too. Just a normal guy who goes and does his job every day without any special powers, but just skill and grit.

14. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Hey, welcome! It's always good to have someone new turn up!

Sounds like you totally fit the bill, then. So... what's your favourite Wedge moment?

15. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome!

As for favorite moments... Tough to say. So many.

I think, amongst my favorite moments, are (in no particular order):

16. His assault on the Alderaanian Biotics Facility on Borleias

17. Forcing a choice in the computer core factory on Coruscant

18. Leading Red Wing during the Battle of Endor

19. Confessing to Iella on Adumar

20. Piloting the Nightcrawler during the Battle of Ession

21. I think those stick out to me the most.

22. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Wedge fan 3,141,590 standing by.

Favorite Wedge moment - other than him blowing up Death Star II, it's probably something in Starfighers of Adumar - perhaps his post-makeup/out with Iella. Of course the entire book counts as Wedge's crowning moment of awesome. Though his one-vs-12 duel in Rebel Dawn was amazing as well.

Here's to hoping he gets at least a plot-and-character-significant moment in the new Wraith novel (and Denning doesn't get even lamer by killing him off since he's not allowed to touch anyone "major"...)

23. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Isn't Allston writing the new Wraith novel? What does Denning have to do with it?

24. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Denning is writing the final FotJ novel. And I don't think he will, but he seems to like messing other people's plans up.

25. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Ah, I get ya, since the Wraith novel is supposed to proceed the last FotJ novel. That is a strong reason for me to avoid buying it, actually. I really don't want to skip 30 years forward in time from the last post-ROTJ novel I've read.

26. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, I'm hoping people give it a chance, even if they've avoided the gratuitous agony the EU has been inflicting on readers and characters alike for the past decade. Allston is pretty good at catching readers up quickly, and creating compelling characters/revitalizing interest in seemingly stale ones.

The ultimate result, of course, would be a whole new set of X-wing books and comics, Wraiths and Rogues alike, with Allston, Stackpole, and new (good) authors revitalizing the future of Star Wars, instead of the rather insulting references to the military you see in stuff like Legacy, where it consistently plays the role of convenient backdrop to the more interesting heads of state, druggie jerks, Mandos, and Zeltrons being un-Zeltronlike that the team seems much more interested in.

ETA: Allston himself noted about the book:

I think it sounds amazing. Especially with the idea being "clean up the mess you know Apocalypse will leave."

27. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    I read Wookieepedia enough that I know what goes on, for the post part, after 14 ABY. I may not get the new novel right away, because I don't like hard cover (if it does come out as such). I just am not sure I'd like to jump that far ahead even on familiar characters. Despite the fact that humans have longer lifespans in Star Wars than they do in our reality, I have a hard time coming to grips with reading about 60 and 70 year olds performing military functions like 20 and 30 year olds.

28. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    True. I can definitely get on board with that - as much as I loved Wedge's 1 v 12 fight in Rebel Dawn, I was kinda like "er...why aren't his reflexes shot?" And I am thrilled that Allston keeps using him - but I wish he'd made Syal more of a focus in the second two LotF novels, and included her at all in the new ones (though there's not really a place for fighter pilots so far - mayhaps she'll show up in the Wraith novel). I think part of the problem with the new characters is that none of them have really grabbed me like Wedge or the Wraiths or the Big Three. I kind of liked Syal, but I thought her Lysa mode was tedious. Myri didn't get a POV, so all I feel about her is that she's smart and likes zany hair.

Seha is quite nice as a character, but I think she has no chance to become anything more than a sweet supporting character. Unless they decide to murder her like Nelani or Kenth's aide.

They just don't have anyone to take their place that can hold interest. Definitely a problem I'm hoping Allston answers with the "second generation Wraiths" comment.

29. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    *dusts, vacuums, polishes*

Whoops, it's been a while.

I have to agree... I want more on the Antilles' girls. So much so that I have epic plans in mind for a trilogy about them... But that's not canon. I want to know MORE about them. The glimpses we've got of them are intriguing - although, because we saw less of Myri, I'm more interested in hearing about her.

Here's hoping that Myri is in the new WS model. After all, Syal is the Rogue child of Wedge... Myri is DEFINITELY the Wraith child.

30. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    I have only read of them on Wookiee, but I agree, anyway. I'd like to see more of the Antilles kids.

31. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    I mean, beyond anything else... they're Wedge's girls! (And Iella's.) They should be awesome by default!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.