main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Wedge fans sign in here! (v 2.0)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Mirax Terrik, Apr 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I would put stars before changing tenses. Like for a POV break in some stories.

***​

I think the actions would still be in past tense, even if it's just dawned upon him. I'm not entirely sure about the last part, but it seems right in my head.

2. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Iella 'No-Maiden-Name' Wessiri Antilles. My friend and I have had many discussions about her, which inspired my plot bunny that she's related to the Terriks. (Long story.)

I was just reading Wedge's biography on Wookieepedia, and apparantly he was not far short of his 18th birthday when his parents died. Does anyone who has read Phantom Affair think he looks more than maybe 15 there? And in the script of ANH, Wedge was supposed to be about 16. Instead he's 21.

3. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Yep, totally looks 15 to me in Phantom Affair. I think they retconned his age to 20 for ANH post 2002. Which is dumb. It's much more poignant for him to be 15 when he kills for the first time.

4. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    My impression (and headcanon) is that he was always 16 when it happened (His talk with Cheriss in SoA doesn't make any sense otherwise) and there's something about the fact that Wedge went through what Luke and Leia have just experienced, at a younger age, and managed to put himself back together, (or at least stay functional) and may have some insight into what they are going through, that gives him hard-won strength and character at a relatively young age.

I will explore the changed character dynamics in the sequel chapter, more specifically, where Luke and Leia gravitate with Luke's best friend still alive, and Han out of the picture for the forseeable future...

5. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I wanted to see if anyone has a strong opinion one way or another on the current election. If you feel strongly for one candidate or another please send me a PM. I'll be holding off my vote until Sunday so that I have time to hear any and all opinions.

thanks!

6. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Mirax Terrik likes this.
  7. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Wow not how I pictured Iella. No time to read now though.

8. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Iella looks too young in that picture. I've always liked Wedge's and Iella's romance because out of all the SW couples, theirs seem the most realistic. Missed connections, jealously, general awkwardness and all that. Luke and Mara's hook up at the end of VotF always annoyed me because it was so damned convenient.

9. Red.Two

Red.Two Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 25, 2012
    Luke and Mara's hookup always bothered me because I felt like the character of Mara was created simply to give Luke someone difficult to eventually love.

10. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Luke and Mara's story bothers me more now more of Mara's backstory has been written and she's not as evil as I imagined.

11. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Runner, what books/stories are you talking about? I never got the impression she was evil, just really devoted to the Emperor and her mission to kill Luke. Also ruthless and cunning. All of which flies out the window once she marries Luke. Bleh.

12. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Heavily conditioned, certainly (just like Gera/Lara was), but not evil in and of herself. Perhaps Palps hadn't found the right hook?

13. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Palpy was losing his touch. I guess it happens when you have an entire Empire to run.

To turn this discussion back to Wedge: What are some of your favorite Wedge scene?

I love the end of Dark Tide, when Wedge and Tycho break into Gavin's office leaving the poor boy outside to figure out what to do. "Some old guys" indeed. ;) Along those lines, the scene in Rebel Dream when Gavin is admonishing Wedge for being the most foolhardy pilot he's ever seen for taking on twelve coralskippers on his own. That one always brings a smile to my face.

For drama, it's hard to top the flashback in The Phantom Affair. Poor Wedge. It's a good thing he had Booster there or who knows what kind of person he could have turned into.

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  14. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Getting back to Mara for a moment, there's been some interesting speculation over in Lit - to the effect that she is like the Exile in KOTOR II and relies on Force Bonds for her strength in the Force.

As to my favourite Wedge scenes; I'd pick the two battles where his starfighter had been gimmicked with an Ewok voice-changer -- including his conversation with (the fake) Soontir Fel.

EDIT: The scene you picked (and is also in your sig) is really good too!

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  15. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    I can see that. The Mara Jade comic says something to the effect of her being less able to use the Force immediately after the Emperor died.

Grr, Soontir. I can't make up my mind on whether or not I hate him for ditching Wedge and the Alliance. I guess if he hadn't we wouldn't have Jag. Still grr...

16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I just expected her character to kill more, to have done something really truly awful that she would regret now. When I read Allegiance and Choices of One I was just dissapointed. Wanted her past to be darker.

I like any scene where Wedge puts a pilot in his or her place. I like when he talks Corran down near the beginning of Rogue Squadron after the Sim run. I like when he tells Kel to man up and get out of sick bay. I love the scene where he has Donos take off a boot and rethink his actions.

Also love the scene you mentioned in Rebel Dream. Need to re-read dark tide!

I have a soft spot for Soontir. Really, really wish we had more of his story.

17. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    I haven't gotten around to Allegiance or Choices of One yet. Right now trying to juggle Fury, The Joiner King, and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

Ha, I love that boot scene too. I love how Allston can make taciturn men interesting.

Wes walks into the room and sees Wedge's boot on the desk.
    Wes: Should I ask?
    Wedge: Not unless you'd like me to decide a new place for my boot to go.

I think the problem with Soontir is that his story has always been in the background aside from two issues of comics. We learn from VotF that he has a ton of clones running around, presumably ordered by Thrawn. Then we see him in NJO but it's more to hand the story reins to Jagged. I thought we'd get to see more of Wyn in that series, but I guess not. I know what happens in the far future as far as the Fel name, but don't know how that comes to be yet.

18. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, that scene with Wes and Wedge makes me laugh out loud. A difficult thing for a novelest to do.

19. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Fave Wedge scene... Hard to choose. (Following in no particular order)

Starfighters of Adumar, after he's been to see Iella... for hours... and hours :D[face_laugh]
    Rebel Dream, when he kicks Yuuzhan Vong patootie and totally doesn't mean to.
    End of Rebel Stand, with Gavin. (Previously mentioned, but awesome scene!)
    Cameo in Mercy Kill
    Escaping from assassins in Exile.
    Any and all scenes with his girls. ANY AND ALL.

I could go on, but won't.

Soontir didn't bother me so much (although I find the clones interesting...) Syal, on the other hand, kinda annoyed me. She vanished for years and years on end, not a word, while poor Wedge worries about her, and it turns out that she's been all hunky-dory in the Unknown Regions, creating a family, and can't, over the space of more than a decade, find time to drop her little brother a note to say, 'Hey, I'm okay. I'm happy. Can't tell you where, or how, but I'm alright.' Gah. It annoys me.

20. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Yeah, Syal... She had an excuse when she still thought Wedge was dead but yeah. What was her deal, anyway? Did we ever get an explanation of why she left Corellia in the first place?

21. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    She wanted to be a holostar. I've seen one fic that explained it as her parents not approving, and wanting her to stick around the station. But as for canon... not that I know of.

Like your pic, Mirax!

22. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Thanks, Katana! :D

Woo, bed time.

23. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    WEDGIES UNITE!!!!!!

Mirax Terrik likes this.
  24. Katana_Sundancer