main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Wedge fans sign in here! (v 2.0)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Mirax Terrik, Apr 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Haha well I did change it to a different pic of Wedge and I kinda like this one better. It seems a bit blurry to me when I look at it but I think that's just the computer I'm on currently. On my MacBook it looks completely clear.

Anyway, cool dude! But what's the different between the two? Isn't Wedge the kind of guy that is a good pilot that believes in the Rebellion AND is a leader who loves his troops? That's the way he is in Rogue Squadron

2. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    He is both - but the new books only show the one side. It's not different, it's just incomplete.

3. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Welcome, Jhawk! Always glad to have more Wedge fans around!

Haven't read any of the new books yet - waiting on the library to have Aftermath back.

Sent from my X-wing via "Boomer" (R2-C4)

4. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Anyone listening to the Rogue Podron podcast? http://farfarawayradio.com/category/rogue-podron/ They're reading through all of the X-Wing books (most of them for the first time), and have great audience interaction. They like to focus on criticizing Corran, but Wedge comes in for a lot of well deserved praise. (I can't wait until they get to Wraith Squadron).

SnubJockey likes this.
  5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Well, this is interesting...

Looks like a certain pilot we all know and love might be making an appearance next season on Rebels.

Runjedirun likes this.
  6. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    I am now! Love it!

EDIT: Huh, interesting clip. Thanks Bard'ika.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yay to Wedge in Rebels season 3!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amon_Amarth and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    An Imperial cadet though? Don't get me wrong, Wedge is Wedge is Wedge, and seeing him in more new canon stuff is awesome. But... his Legends back story is stuck in my head!

SnubJockey likes this.
  9. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Here are my thoughts from another thread on Wedge being in rebels with a new backstory:
    This is gonna get really ranty but here goes. I really really really really hate Wedge being a former Imp. Its the most cliche, standard, easy, and lazy way to bring a fan favorite in. "People like wedge so lets bring him in" "Ok. Lets just make him another person who becomes a rebel cause he is personally wronged by the Imps and/or is a defector rather then something new or intentionally different idk like HIS EU BACKSTORY. I don't need everything to be like the eu but when you bring in a character who is popular because his role in the eu I expect you to look at why people like that character beyond "he is a dude named wedge". In the eu his parents got killed by pirates and that simple fact makes him drastically differ from a lot of other rebels and would make for AMAZING story potential in this show. He does not join up for the same old reasons most rebel character did. He hates the empire cause they are evil and unjust not cause they are specifically the Empire. Now he is another defector.

This feels like how DC handles bringing fan favorites into the new 52. They hear people like characters or characters in certain roles so they do what fans want............however they don't take into account what the fans actually want they just make a person named Cassandra cain who is a mute assassin rather then giving fans cassandra cain. Its the same thing here. However rebels is careful for thrawn but in Wedge's case its just a cheap way to get Rogue Squadron fans to watch and to use a familiar face. If they wanted a deserter pilot set up Biggs or use Tycho later down the line or the 100 other rogues with this exact backstory. Again its not that its different its that they almost went out of their way to be less interesting.

I am happy for thrawn fans but I feel really slighted by the fact that Wedge is just there cause he is a familiar face and not cause they seem to get why that character works. they could salvage it but it still feels really annoying that we keep having everyone be a defector or be personally hurt by the empire. I mean sure wedge stuck with the rebels in the eu cause a friends died but it was more then that. he never hated living under them till he saw innocent people getting killed. He could have fled and lived his life without being filled him despair or hate for solely the empire. He found that he could do the right thing like his parents did when they gave their lives to save innocents from a bomb and so he does the same. its so simple but effective and would be so fascinating in how it is similar to Ezra's backstory while being different then all the ghost crew.

So yeah to say the least I am not the biggest fan of this change. BTW I had no Idea there was a Wedge fanclub here. Thats amazing. Good work whoever started this.=D=

10. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    vncredleader, you just said everything that bothered me about Wedge being an Imperial cadet. I absolutely loved the fact that he joined the Rebellion because he believed in the cause; to get justice for all, and not be driven by personal loss.

I especially like your point about him following his parents' example.

11. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    I'm hoping that Wedge's intro is him as an already rebel inserted into the unit or one of the fighters deployed as a way to get the defectors. It could be a nice way to get Wedge's backstory in there, and have him do the Ecliptic Evaders bit to get Hobbie and Biggs into the Alliance. It could be nice to use the pilots as a B-plot in this season like the Clones were in TCW to get a "View from the lower ranks"

Plus, Wedge. Nuff said.

vncredleader likes this.
  12. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000

Or maybe he's been conscripted? I could deal with that. Given his age, he can't be much older than Ezra; according to the new version of Ep. 1, he was younger than Luke at Yavin.

It's interesting to see how much of the Legends material they are mining for ideas.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Okay where is the hype for Wedge's Rebels appearance!

I want hype :p I'm hyped!

I've loved nuCanon Wedge thus far in the Aftermath novels so so wonder where you all are, Wedge fans!

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even the very first novelization specially referred to Wedge as "teenaged" - so that isn't a big change.

vncredleader likes this.
  15. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Really? Huh, I've always seen him as older.

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    No hype here, there might as well not even be a Wedge Antilles in canon at this point, because he will never really be the same again.

vncredleader likes this.
  17. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Oh god, I just saw the preview. And Wedge is kinda adorable.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Here's hoping this is a run to building Wedge up to be a hotshot badass in the new canon as it was in the old EU. I'm pretty sure he's still going to be a crackerjack pilot.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I just hope that Wedge gets a great supporting cast, Wes, Tycho, Hobbie, the rest of the Rogues and Wraith's etc. were great.

20. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    That is mathematically impossible, because Ezra is literally 2 days older than Luke and Leia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm quoting, I didn't write the new book! :) Confess, I really don't like what Wendig's done. I hope things get better as we go along...

I want to be excited about his appearance in Rebels (and Katana's right, he is kind of adorable), and yet... (I'm channeling Hobbie, aren't I?)

Still, he's still number one where I'm concerned. [face_love] I am the one who embarrassed myself in the theater at ROTJ by shouting "Yes! He LIVED!!"

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  22. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    I haven't been impressed with Wendig's work when I checked it out in the store, or the small-feeling scale of their star wars universe. Barring an OT comic or two if I can read all those in one go, I think I'm pretty done with the EU at this point. I hope they keep the Gus Tetra backstory in Rebels. But I imagine they won't.

23. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, well...there's always fanfiction. :D

24. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Fanfiction forever!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Wedge's appearance on Rebels I thought was cool, there's definitely a guy who wanted to do well but then when he gets inside the Imperial machine he wants out. Also they had "Fulcrum" recruit Wedge, which was a line in Aftermath but then after Ahsoka / Fullcrum ended how it did now it's a codename. And he was classmates with Hobbie! And they both defected together!

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.