main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Wedge not in TFA / Theory: Poe was originally meant to be Wedge

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sithlord-Boo, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
  2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Poe Dameron's last name really being Darklighter--we've already potentially got Rey living under an alias, and maybe even Gleeson's character. Why would the son of Darklighter be using a pseudonym? His dad didn't destroy the Death Star, he died in the attempt before the final shot was taken. There's nothing to be gained by an alias for him. Now, I've seen folks speculate in the past that maybe he's Biggs' son, that he likely had no idea about and was probably born after Biggs' death, so Poe's surname is his mother's, but that was purely speculation on whether he's a legacy character or not and how it could work, but in no way intended to imply his "last name really being Darklighter".

Saying that MVS is playing Wedge seems entirely baseless. Lawson turned down the role--fine--but that doesn't mean they got the much-higher-profile (and much older) Von Sydow to fill Wedge's role. Most rumors suggest MVS is playing a character that was alive during the Prequels... and given Max's age, that seems likely. Was Wedge alive then? Probably, but as a little kid at best by ROTS. As far as the movies go, Han is Luke's best friend... Wedge is a friend, sure, but there's nothing to indicate "best bud" status, so why assume "best bud" Wedge is tasked with watching over Rey on the desert world?

Revanfan1 and starocean90 like this.
  3. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

That attitude is only in a small few people around here and most people will respond better, whether they think your theory is whackadoodle or not.

Wedge and Biggs are minor characters and it is unlikely that any connection to them will be considered necessary to keep secret.

Max von Sydow is almost twenty years older, and a good deal taller, than Lawson. Even if Wedge was originally considered for the role, it is more than likely that the entire character would be changed rather than recast. Wedge is simply too minor a character.

If Poe was the son of Biggs, there is no reason to give him an alias. Of course, Dameron could be the mother's name and Biggs could be the father, but he isn't going to be changing his name in the middle of the movie.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Wedge was not that minor of a charcter in the eu, and with Rogue Squandren movie maybe he wont be in the NEU

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Luke... there is... another... Super... shadow... (dies)

DarthBreezy likes this.
  6. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

EU is irrelevant. And there is no NEU - there is just the U ;)

If Rogue One is set in the ST era, perhaps, but if Rogue One is actual Rogue Leader as many believe, then that is Felicity Jones.

What part would Wedge have? I'd say they'd get in someone well known for playing tough mentor types - this being outside the Saga movies, Disney and Lucasfilm may have to approach the casting differently.

TheBBP and thejeditraitor like this.
  7. Darth Hord

Darth Hord Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2015
    The reason being Darklighter is hidden and used as a pseudonym is for the future storyline of Poe's father being killed by Darth Vader. So essentially Luke's father, Rey's/Kylo's/Gleesons possible grandfather murdered Poe's father and this being part of the future storyline..

If you have read any of the EU novels as I have you will find they continue to be best friends for 30+ years after ROTJ, obviously the EU has been disregarded but the premise is there to go down that story arc.

8. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Such a story can easily be told using any character - Vader would have killed many fathers.

There is no logical reason to deliberately hide the name - why? What difference does it make to Rey?

Rey's grandfather killing another guy's father doesn't really go anywhere - she has no reason to feel guilty** nor Poe any reason to hold it against her.

Same with Luke**. And Biggs is such minor a character that the "sudden revelation" will not be any more great a shock to an audience than Poe being anyone else's son.

** Luke, Leia and and any younger Skywalker/Solo's already have Vader's legacy to deal with in what he did to the whole galaxy and the fear that they may do the same.

Toonimator likes this.
  9. Darth Hord

Mar 15, 2015
    I personally see something similar to this happening.. Poe igniting his red light saber and saying something along the lines of..
    You also may know Oscar Issac plays the new big bad of X-Men don't you, Apocalypse![​IMG]

10. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    So now Poe's a bad guy cuz his father was killed by Rey's grandfather. Okay. Oh, wait, how did Poe, the Hidden Darklighter, know that Vader killed his dad? Only Luke knew. Others like Leia knew Biggs died, but only Luke was really in a position to know it was Vader's ship that did the deed.

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Darth Hord

I'm not seeing the connection.

Why makes you think Poe is the bad guy in Star Wars? What has his role in X-Men got to do with anything?

Who exactly is Poe going to say "you killed my father" to?

Revanfan1 and Toonimator like this.
  12. Darth Hord

Mar 15, 2015

Poe Dameron (Darklighter) Holding the man's mask who killed his father.. --> Osscar Issac is know for playing bad guys in movies.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  14. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah, why the face Poe!!??

Flapjack4 likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I just stumbled on the last two pages of this thread.

[face_rofl]

Toonimator likes this.
  16. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Yeah... Darth Hord's theory is out there. "Look, he's playing Apocalypse in an upcoming movie! He's known for playing bad guys!" That means that the big twist in this movie is that the heroic Alliance pilot we see in the teaser, who is not the saber-toting villain we also see in the teaser, ends the film as the injured, Vader-obsessed cyborg on an Imperial ship, out for vengeance against the heirs of Vader.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Wait ... I thought the cyborg was Wedge?

18. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    The cyborg played by MVS is Wedge, according to Hord. The Vader-obsessed cyborg is Biggs Jr, knowing thru the Force that Vader killed his father while Junior was in utero (the same way Leia remembers Padme, of course), who vows to go after the children and grandchildren of Vader, after serving them loyally for years. It's a magical tale.

Flapjack4 and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. Darth Hord

Mar 15, 2015
    I said MVS = Wedge, I did not say MVS was a cyborg at any time.
    It is rumor that Adam driver's character sabotages Poe's x-wing at some point in the movie and Poe crashes and is messed up. It is rumor that Adam Driver = Kylo Ren. It is rumor that he (Adam Driver) is related to Darth Vader. A logical conclusion may be that Poe, messed up after crash, almost dead, caused by Darth Vader's relative and his own father killed by Darth Vader himself would be pretty pissed.. (Ocscar Issac well known for playing villans) Life is saved after crash, becomes vengeful half robot, dark side force user.
    I think it would be very creative to have a story arc of dark side vs dark side. If Kylo Ren is the baddie, and Oscar Issac kills him is he a good guy even though hes a bad guy? It's so twisted I love the feel of that kind of arc.

20. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    It's an arc based on nonsense. Also, the long-standing rumor is that the cyborg barfly from the concept art is MVS, so I was folding that into your fever-dream of MVS being cast to replace Lawson as Wedge, guarding one heir to the Skywalker legacy while the other one injures Biggs' heretofore unknown love-child living under a secret name who magically knows that Vader killed his father and swears vengeance because the actor played a couple villains before and is playing a comic book villain in the future.

21. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    So has the Wedge is played my Max Von Sydow rumor officially debunked? Speaking of which, Denis Lawson needs to get off high horse and be Wedge in Episode 8. Don't know if he truly realizes how many SW fans love Wedge.

22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think he was right for not accepting as it would've been a waste and a good possibility he would've been edited down or out completely in post production. Its not like Ackbar and Nunb had great cameos and many lines of dialogue.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Wedge could have been Poe. An older character among the new Big 3 might change the relationship dynamics a little, but it wouldn't change the plot at all. Poe was a hotshot X-wing pilot, dedicated to fighting for freedom, and willingly obeyed Leia's orders for a dangerous mission. Wedge could have done all that, easily.

24. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    I'd much rather have Oscar Isaac's exciting new character than a character we've already seen in his prime played by a 68 year old man who doesn't even give a damn about Star Wars enough to make a cameo. Denis Lawson hates Star Wars.

vong333 likes this.
  25. CmdrWedge

CmdrWedge Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    Lawson aside I would really like it if they threw in Wedge for a cameo in VIII or IX or just a name drop or maybe as a recruitment poster on the wall of Dameron's living quarters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.