main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Wedge, Porkins, and the Rebel Fleet / Squadrons

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by akrunner, Oct 1, 2015.

1. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Clearly I can't say for sure but what I think happened is that the rebellion actually suffered a real setback at the end of Rogue One. The Rogue group of cause were the only ones who were prepared to fight, many others at the table wanted to surrender and would not fight the Empire.

Most of those that did fight were killed / destroyed on the attack against Skarif and Leia finding Obiwan was the rebels only hope of continuing the fight. It wasn't until after the destruction of the Death Star that the rebellion saw a ground swell of support leading into ROTJ. The rebel base in ANH was just a small group who continued the Rogue One mission and then had to flee and go into hiding in ESB.

I think by definition and actions the Rogue group went against the rebellion and at that point became a smaller splinter group. Even though Bail and Mon Montha knew war was going to be the eventual outcome.

Jabberwock2137 likes this.
  2. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Maybe he's new to the main Alliance base squadrons. He wouldn't be a new pilot because we saw Sabine recruit him last season from the Imperial Academy. So R1 would be his fourth year in the Rebellion.

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Well obviously "new pilot" can't be right since he's already a VERY talented pilot (2nd only to Luke in the Saga)... so new to the squadrons pilot... yeah.

DL44Jo likes this.
  4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    if it really is like 10 min or one hour Biggs could have in theory been there over Scarif

5. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

If we assume Bigg's deleted scene from ANH is canon, that scene takes place after the Tantive IV has been tracked to Tatooine because the whole reason Luke goes to there is to tell his friends about the battle and that's where he meets Biggs. So really, Biggs only joins the rebellion a day before Luke does.

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  6. Internets

Internets Jedi Master star 1

Nov 28, 2008
    Yep, from ANH (deleted scene):

BIGGS: I made some friends at the Academy. When our frigate goes to one of the central systems, we're going to jump ship and join the Alliance...

Biggs hadn't joined the Rebellion yet.

7. cloneCommando1138

cloneCommando1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    I missed a tiny bit of the space battle in my first viewing the other night.

I heard Gold Leader give a command to take advantage of "the opening" and attack the ISD. Then it flashes to what looked to be an Asian female pilot leading the attack--Is she part of gold squadron or could this be green squadron? Remember that green squadron was a mix of Ywings/xwings

The novel says that the "wing leader" yelled out "ion torps away". This leads me to believe that maybe it wasn't Gold leader leading the assault on the ISD?

8. AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt

AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt Jedi Padawan

Dec 17, 2016
    When I saw gold and red leaders checking in I cried with delight. What an awesome move to bring them into the fight! I still get chills after thinking of that scene. I recall the Y-Wings were dropping explosives on the shield to try and get it to crack open.

9. cloneCommando1138

Apr 16, 2005
    I caught that part, but the part that I was referring to was the Ion torpedo attack on the star destroyer towards the end.

I heard Gold leader say "hit that opening" but was he actually participate in the attack??

10. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    My take is that it was gold squadron attacking the ISD

Import_Jedi likes this.
  11. cloneCommando1138

Apr 16, 2005
    Same--You see the female asian pilot acknowledge gold leaders verbal command, but don't know if it is actually gold leader/squadron attacking the ISD

12. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998

But i thought only gold and red squadrons stayed with the fleet?

13. cloneCommando1138

Apr 16, 2005

The novel mentions a green squadron that had Y-wings as part of the squadron. I'm sure it was Gold squadron, but am unclear if Gold leader specificallly was part of the attack

14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh nice so the Green Squadron was there. Did they just have Y-wings is or it left open that they are an amalgam of different ships?

15. cloneCommando1138

Apr 16, 2005

X-wings and Y-wing mix i believe

vncredleader likes this.
  16. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    The female pilot was unused footage from Return of the Jedi.

Nice for your role to make it onto the screen 33 years later.

As for the actress who played Mon Mothma her scenes got cut from Revenge of the Sith nice to see her get into a Star Wars movie.

DL44Jo, Huttese 101 and EviL_eLF like this.
  17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Really? Nice, I was always annoyed with the removal of the female pilots from ROTJ.

18. cloneCommando1138

Apr 16, 2005
    The y-wing pilot who said "ion torpedoes away"?? That looked like new footage, are you positive that was the one?

19. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Gold Leader was played by the 'A New Hope' actor so that was old/unused footage.

Gold Nine is played by Gabby Wong and her part was new for Rogue One;

https://twitter.com/WhatWent_Wong

[​IMG]

20. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    I am disappoint

episodenone and Darth Smurf like this.
  21. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He was busy with other stuff and his CGI wasn't finished in time
    [​IMG]

Maybe he gets his own Spin-Off:
    StarWars Anthology: Porkins Reporked

DL44Jo, Huttese 101, Sarge and 5 others like this.
  22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Porky Porkins had to make a stop at Space McDonald's.

BadCane and Darth Smurf like this.
  23. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Is this pilot you are speaking of the X-Wing pilot Dorovio Bold from ROTJ, actress Vivienne Chandler?
    [​IMG]
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dorovio_Bold

I have only seen it twice, and I only caught those frames the first time. Can you source a confirmation?

Someone disambiguate Gabby Wong from 1982 footage / 'female pilot from ROTJ', as necessary.

24. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    It takes him so long to get into his X-Wing that by the time he responded to the alert for the Battle of Scariff it was already the Battle of Yavin.

25. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I paid special attention to the helmet markings and believe I would have spotted Vivienne Chandler wearing Han Solo's "Corellian" helmet instantly, but I did not see familiar faces or helmets like the one worn by Dorovio Bold (except for the alternate pilot footage with Red and Gold leader Gareth Edwards found in the Lucasfilm archives and made great use of it).