main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Wedge, Porkins, and the Rebel Fleet / Squadrons

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by akrunner, Oct 1, 2015.

1. 16lewgadd

16lewgadd Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2017
    I saw the ghost from the rebels TV series plus chopper I can't tell if the ship escaped though

2. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    In the cut footage which was never used in the original Star Wars, Biggs was on Tatooine with Luke round about the time when everything was kicking off over Scarif. Them being friends Wedge may have been there too, meaning they both missed the rebels attack and survived for the Death Star run.
    As for the lack of ships setting off the next day.....The fact that the 'fleet' was decimated over Scarif is not really moot....
    The whole point of the attack on the DS was that it had to be undertaken by 'snub-fighters' in order to succeed.....

3. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Just because Wedge says "look at the size of that thing" in ANH doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't present at Scarif. Remember, the Death Star's size, technology, and military capabilities was something new the galaxy had never really witnessed before. It's a space station that would leave an impression on anyone, no matter how many times you've seen it. The sheer size of the station really impresses you the closer you get to it, like Wedge and the gang did. Even if he had seen it before, this was in the moment, and that particular moment called for Wedge, and the others, to actually attack this behemoth. That would bewilder anyone!

vncredleader and Satipo like this.
  4. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Had Biggs in fact been going head to head with the DS, 3 Imperial star destroyers and seen the majority of the rebel fleet destroyed 10 minutes/1 hour earlier I can't really see him being quite so blasé about Luke joining the rebellion

EviL_eLF and Stoneymonster like this.
  5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    We know it wasn't years because Vader and the opening scroll of ANH both tell us this stuff just happened!

DL44Jo, Snafu55 and Huttese 101 like this.
  6. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016

Have to refer you back to Star Wars ANH original version did not have an opening crawl. It really is open to interpretation how you want to see the film. Just before ANH or a number of years before. For me i like to guess time has elapsed between Rogue One & ANH.

7. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I mention of Wedge would have been awesome. Just audio over the com link during the attack. "Nice shot, Wedge!" or something like that. Don't even need to see him.

8. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Apparently there is audio of Wedge talking during the battle, or at least some are saying this (I didn't hear it myself), with a credit to a voice actor. I think RFR (Rebel Force Radio) mentioned it recently.

I'm ok with him being there, as you can fan-rationalise it as the DS being on the other side of the planet and he had his attention on the many TIEs that were around him.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

The original SW did have an opening crawl, same as it has always had. What it did not have was the title "Episode IV: A New Hope."

10. BucMan-55

BucMan-55 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    Another angle is Red Leader's response to Wedge: "Cut the chatter Red 2." He's already seen it and retains focus and reminds his squadron to do the same.

DL44Jo and Sarge like this.
  11. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    Apologies your correct about that. My mistake.

Sarge likes this.
  12. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Well, now that you know the opening scroll did in fact exist, you can see that is clearly not the intent of the filmmakers.

Besides, I'd be a pretty weak plot in ANH if Vader has failed for YEARS to find the plans, as the Empire would surely know they'd have MANY copies at that point...also, there would be no purpose to showing Bail talking about returning to Alderaan if this wasn't about to be his ultimate end there.

DL44Jo, vncredleader and Sarge like this.
  13. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    There is a voice actor yes, but not credited and thus no confirmation that Wedge was there.

In fact the only confirmation about the voice actor is from those who know he came in to record lines, no confirmation those lines even made it into the film.

14. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

What we know from ANH is that the Rebellion is on its last legs. Leia being on the Tantive IV all on her own no reinforcements are coming. Plenty of time in between her departure from Scarif to the events of ANH during which the Rebel Alliance is crushed rather spectacular. What we see in Rogue One confirms to me that Vader and the Imperials took many prisoners at that battle.

15. aceshigh78

aceshigh78 Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2016
    I think the simplest explanation is that Porkins' presence would have been seen as too much of a cheap comedic stunt.

Let's face it: the character is known for William Hootkins' rotund and slovenly appearance (great actor, btw, RIP), that ridiculously on-the-nose name, PORKINS (which I think I was very cruel on George's part, LOL), and dying somewhat comedically before he could even get one shot off in the battle of Yavin.

It would have taken a lot of fans out of the moment, even if only for a couple of seconds. A chuckle from the crowd probably wasn't what Edwards wanted with the degree of tension in that whole battle scene.

Don't get me wrong: I would have LOVED to have seen Porkins (I whispered to my friends..."WHERE'S PORKINS" when they showed Red and Gold Leaders), but I see why they may have not wanted to over-do the cameos.

DL44Jo and EviL_eLF like this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I see your point, aceshigh78 (great name btw, good movie), but I think it would also have been possible to give Porkins a crowning moment of awesome that shows why the Alliance trusts this fat slobby-looking guy with one of their best fighter ships. A little bit of redemption for the "loser" would make his death in ANH more meaningful. Oh, ummm... SPOILER ALERT for the R1 sequel!

vncredleader likes this.
  17. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I don't think they want to change the scrounge for pilots, anyone and everyone who can fly is welcome by the Alliance perception.

I think they WANT to keep the established view of Porkins and giving that heroic moment changes it. I'm glad they left it as is, and gave us another Porkins analog with Red 5.

18. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Porkins joined the Alliance after his younger brother (Red 5) lost his life above Scarif ;) :xwing:

thejeditraitor and Sarge like this.
  19. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    So I thought it was really cool how they brought in Red and Gold Squadrons into Rogue One, but one thing I didn't notice until the second viewing was Red Five.

I can't seem to find an image of him but he's a chubby Asian (no offence to chubby people or Asians anywhere), who gets killed quickly after being yelled at by Red Leader, or not following his advice (I forget which).

Now obviously the Rebels took heavy losses in that battle, but I was just giggling to myself imagining that the five slot was given to the new guy and it tended to be a (sorry to throw out a Star Trek reference), "red shirt" spot for their squadron, and that most people in the squadron expected Luke to kick the bucket early in the attack on the Death Star. Obviously, he surpassed everyone's expectations by firing the winning shot.

I was just wondering if anyone had any info on this pilot or any thoughts on how Red Squadron may have felt about losing him or replacing their fallen comrade with a farm boy from Tatooine.

I'm also surprised that Wedge, Porkins, and Biggs weren't in the movie. Maybe Red Squadron suffered almost complete loses and poor Red Leader had to replace his whole roster.

20. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I loved the Blue Squadron leader. That guy was epic, so sorry he was destroyed.

About Red Five, he wandered outside the formation, this got him killed.

This is the poor guy:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pedrin_Gaul

Also, according to the link below
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Squadron_(Rebel_Alliance)
    the Red Squadron in Scarif was composed by the following pilots (yes, Porkins was there):

DL44Jo, Snafu55, Huttese 101 and 2 others like this.
  21. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Here you go.

[​IMG]

22. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Blue Leader was AWESOME!

starocean90 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  23. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Blue Leader was great and he joined Red Leader, Gold Leader, Biggs, Wedge as my favorite pilots, too bad they killed him off after one movie.

also Red 5's death was hilarious.[face_laugh]

24. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I am very sad at the loss of my squads' leader.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Too soon, man, too soon! :(

Ricardo Funes and Darth_Nubian like this.