main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wedge

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Grand-Moff-Tarkin, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    I did some searching and didn't find anything on this so here goes.

I'm curious as to what you all think about the 'other' Wedge in ANH. I know he was meant to be the same Wedge we see later on in the movie as well as in Empire and Jedi.

So, here's my question:

Do you all actually consider the 'Wedge' in the briefing room as the same one we see throughout the rest of the trilogy or a different person altogether?

2. Ominous

Ominous Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2004
    I believe that it was a different character.
    Actor Denis Lawson -- who is Ewan McGregor's real-life uncle -- played Wedge Antilles in the classic trilogy. Although the script identifies him as Wedge Antilles, and the voiceover is the same, that is not Lawson sitting beside Mark Hamill during the Yavin briefing. Lawson was unavailable that day for shooting and another actor filled in. This has led to fans identifying that particular Wedge as the "fake Wedge," although it is intended as the same character. Lawson's name is misspelled "Dennis" in the credits to A New Hope.
    That was from the SW Databank.

3. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Wow! I didn't even know about this and I've been a hardcore fan for ten years.

4. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Since he's never refered to by name in that scene, I've always just taken him for another pilot and not Wedge.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's supposed to be Wedge. Just assume thats what he looks like without his helmet off, circa ANH.

Same way Saesee Tiin and Kit Fisto (hell, even Jabba) look differently at times, etc.

6. jedi-phish

jedi-phish Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    Some claim that the actor playing the fake Wedge is the same who portrays "John D" in the cockpit scenes. Although John D has no speaking lines, he is seen blowing up (I think he has the crimson colored helmet on). So, although the script says its Wedge, and supposedly the ADR/voiceover is Lawson, its conceivable that we should accept that Luke was sitting next to John D.

7. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    I've always thought of him as Wedge, I think he looks enough like Denis for it to work. I guess they were pretty lucky to find someone who looks so similar at such short notice.

8. R2D1000

R2D1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    I thought the Visual Dictionary lists that guy sitting next to Luke as a different character?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.