main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Week 4, Daily Task 1- My fantastic Star Wars club and beyond!

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by solojones, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I honestly can't say I remember my first SW memory. It was just always there. I must have seen it before I could even talk! But I do remember fondly how my love of it carried over into elementary school.

Third grade was a time when everyone had to have their own, cool little 'club' at recess. First, there was the Civil War Club (yeah, and you think the SW Nerds were weird children...). Then we tried the Sim Farm Club, which was just incredibly weird :p Finally, we settled on something all my friends loved- Star Wars! I still have little notebooks charting people's SW Names, X-wing names, Y-Wing names and partners... you get the picture. Needless to say, I always wanted to be someone related to Boba Fett or Obi Wan (I liked Han, but thought he was too 'popular'... yeah, got over that ;) ). Our 'club' had officers of the week, and even made an absolutely horrid book of illustrations, which I still have!

That's just one of the many times I have been united with my friends through SW. I have met some of my best friends, RL and online, through the GFFA. It's been a source of entertainment, escapism, and joy for all of the SW fans I know- myself included. It continues to be, and I suspect will always be, a big part of my life in the way of my genuine love for all things Star Wars.

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Cool deal. :)

I was shunned in school for liking Star Wars until TPM came out in theatres. Everyone still picked on me when the Special Edition came out. Stupid middle school..

~ James

3. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Nice, Rachel! :D I was never an open fan of the movies in school. Sure I'd say I liked the movies well enough, but I wouldn't go all out about it. You know, have to watch out for your reputation. :p

4. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Nice story, Rachel! :)

5. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Nice story, Rachel! :) I kept my Star Wars fandom in my inner circle when I was young, mostly writing awful Mary Sue fanfic. ;) It wasn't until a kid named Anthony came to school wearing a black cape and carrying Darth Maul's saber that I realized it wasn't horrible to like Star Wars in school. Even our teachers were in on it! :)

Oh, and my club in elementary school was called the Firehorses. We were sorta like Charlie's Angels, ridding the playground of evil-doers. :p

Jae Angel

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I've never been ashamed of Star Wars. And you know the movie buff I am? Well, the first movies I ever bought with my own money were the THX remastered VHS tapes of the OT :D :D :D

My family went to see each SE the first day they were released. My dad liked the movies in college, kind of had to since his roommate was obsessed with them. I'm glad for that :)

I also remember every time we went to Wal Mart, I headed straight for the Star Wars toy aisle. I have lots of the toys from when I was a kid.

But here's the ultimate I'm such a freaking geek and proud of it story:

Every single day in 8th grade, at 11:38am, during lunch, several friends and I would hold an 11:38 party. People would sometimes come to watch. Maybe it was because we smeared mustard on our faces as warpaint and mumbled nonsense about Star Wars things ;)

The same year, we decided one hour was going to be the 'Davin Felth Conspiracy Hour'. So before EVERY sentence we said look sir, [face_plain]

7. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    LOL! That's great. :D

The geekiest thing I ever did was recite "Spaceballs" almost daily for most of fifth grade. ;)

The funniest thing I ever did was put on a live-action production of Disney's Robin Hood with my first grade class. :p

I've been memorizing lines to things for years. . . [face_blush]

Jae Angel

8. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes, Rachel, you are a geek. :p That's pretty cute that you and your friends were/are so in love with it. Nothing wrong with exploring your geeky side. ;)

9. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Star Wars was pretty dead when I was in junior high/high school, so no one really talked about it. When I got to college though, and the special editions neared, we'd sit around talking all the time about Star Wars. Of course, I was in the engineering school, and I was, sadly enough, one of the "cooler" geeks.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    [face_laugh] that's really really sad, John. But you know something else that's sad? I'm one of the coolest geeks I know :eek: Sure, I do lots of geeky things, but I shower and I don't particurally like math... I don't know. To look at me, you'd probably not know I was a geek. Unless perhaps I was wearing my Indiana Jones shirt or my SPAM shirt :D

11. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I also have a Spam shirt. [face_laugh]

I also have a Spam lightswitch in my toy room. I ordered them online. My wife kind of freaked out when we got a package from Hormel in the mail. She thought we had won that contest for a years supply of canned hams.

12. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Hey, a year's supply of canned hams would be a great thing!

Think of it...ham sammiches, ham soup, ham kabobs, ham loaf...yummy.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, I'm sadder than you John- I got mine at the Spam Museum

14. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    They have a Spam Museum??? Man, that place must be like, the Mecca for JCers. :p

15. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I didn't know there was a Spam muesuem either. I bet it smells like vinegar. Kind of like a retirement home smells.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's in Austin, MN. It's quite interesting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.