main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Week 5, Daily Task 1

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by solojones, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, this one comes down to a close race. I love to write, as you all know, but I also have a tremendous passion for film. When I thought about it, the one I enjoy more directly is film, because right now, I don't have to do the work of making them, and writing, while ultimately satisfying, can be tedious and frustrating ;)

So what is it I love about movies so much? That's a question I get asked by friends and family all the time. Almost everyone likes to be entertained by movies once in a while, but my love goes far beyond that. I like to be entertained by a film, but I like them to be entertaining because there's something I can connect with. Sure, action films are fun once in a while, but my real passion is for character-driven stories. The best thing in a movie for me is a complex character- whether I can relate to them or not. But really, we can relate to almost all characters, which can be frightening.

Take Norman Bates, for instance. Who can't relate to the feeling of being trapped and wanting something bigger? Yet when we empathize with that side of Norman, we are afraid that we could also be as devious and evil as him. Then there are films I love such as Say Anything..., where the characters are so real they seem like people you know, or like yourself. What's funny to them is funny to you, because you relate to them. Then there are fun adventure movies like Indiana Jones. Don't you just wish you knew, or could be, someone as cool as that?

Apart from characters I also thoroughly enjoy an experience which makes me think on different levels. One that begs you to figure out some mystery, but also challenges your view of the paradigm. Films like The Usual Suspects and Double Indemnity.

There are so many aspects of film that I love. The music, the editing, the direction, the acting, the writing... I can never watch a movie without not only considering it a story, but also a production. For some, that might be annoying. But for me, I love to admire the work that goes into a craft which I would love nothing more than to devote my career to.

2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    That's awesome, Rachel. I feel the same way about films. They can be such a great art form yet also just be a fun diversion.

3. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    There are so many aspects of film that I love. The music, the editing, the direction, the acting, the writing... I can never watch a movie without not only considering it a story, but also a production. For some, that might be annoying. But for me, I love to admire the work that goes into a craft which I would love nothing more than to devote my career to.

I'm the same way. In fact, no matter how bad a movie is, there is usually something I like about it. And I've seen a lot of bad movies.

But you have to realize, someone loved that movie from the start. Someone put a lot of work into the script, the directing, the score, at least one of those things. Even the worst turd of a movie is someone's pride. Just look at the movie Ed Wood. He made the worst movies ever, but he was nothing if not passionate. It's analogous to the Nathan Bitner story. All works of art redeem themselves this way, in that someone, somewhere wanted to share what they thought was special.

4. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    So true, John. That's the amazing part. Even those films that are horribly bad come from someone's passion for them to be made. I guess it just goes to show that we all have a different interpretation of "art" and "entertainment".

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This is also in part why I don't have respect for things like teen movies and popcorn crap (often sequels) that studios decide to make. Because there's no passion behind it. I think if someone truly makes a film from their heart, no matter how bad it turns out to be, I have to respect them at least a little. But not if they make it for their wallet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.