main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA Weekly Costuming Tutorial

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Drgnfyre4, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drgnfyre4

Drgnfyre4 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Hey gang. I am currently working up a format to present a weekly Costuming tutorial/tip thread. This thread would feature guides and how tos' with patterns and fabric suggestions, as well as great places to find things. One thing that we also do occasionally on some of the other groups and boards that I belong to is that I can feature a monthly prop giveaway that can be done for the group member who participates and gives the most helpful input.This can be awarded at the time of each monthly meeting as a group incentive and to provide a little bit of fun.

2. jdijade

jdijade Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2005
    OOOH! I could do the no-pattern costuming tutorial I was working up for the book, maybe.

Where will we get the giveaway prizes, and are family members of the guy thinking up the idea eligible to win? [face_laugh]

3. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    Sorry, family members of Drgnfyre4 are not eligible to win. The first tutorial that I will be starting on Monday of next week will be a comprehensive look at making an accurate ANH ceremonial necklace. I will post this how to and information about the original piece and its history. In fact this coming giveaway will be a finished copy of the necklace...hows that for fun kiddies?

4. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    awwww shucks. Dark lords of the sith always try and ruin my fun. [face_laugh]

Sounds great. I want to see this tutorial too!

5. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    Anita, you mentioned your husband was working on Jedi pouch molds...do you think he would be interested in prepping a tutorial on Jedi belts and accesories for the following week after my ANH Ceremonial Necklace tutorial concludes?

6. JawaGen

JawaGen Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    !!!! what!! I want that necklace!!! I must have it!! I think that I'll do that costume next

7. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    Pay close attention to next weeks tutorial and you may end up having it!

8. kitchenvixen

kitchenvixen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    I will ask him :)

9. Storm_Granger

Storm_Granger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2003
    WOW this looks like a lot of fun!!! Some fan I am I dont even have a costume yet!! :_|

10. TarikJanis

TarikJanis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2003
    I've made a couple of Jedi Belts that have come out great. I'd be happy to write a tutorial on how to do it, but after comic-con...too much to do right now...I need to re-do all the velcro on my stormtrooper armor!!! EEKS!!!

~Tommy

11. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    Tommy,
    we gotta get that stormtrooper redone man! The better its strapped up the longer you can wear it comfortably.

12. TarikJanis

Jun 11, 2003
    Well right now I'm pulling off all the old velcro since the adhesive is wearing off. Using Goo Gone to get rid of all the left over residue. Then I'm replacing the old velcro with Industrial Strength velcro adhesive that's about 2 inches in width. Then I'm gonna go down to JoAnnes or something and pick up some heavy duty elastic straps 2 inches wide and sew the hook part of the velcro to the elasic straps...I put all of the loose part of the velcro on the armor so it would stop snagging my lycra suit. Then after that I'm gonna polish it all up nice and shiny for comic-con. But I think I got it. The only thing I really need to do other than that is trim the forearm pieces, but I don't have any tools to do that so its ok for now. Anything else you can think of Mike, tips would be great ;)

13. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    Number one!!! DONT PUT ANYMORE VELCRO ON IT!!!Velcro is NOT your costuming friend!! Bring it over to my place and I will show you a BETTER way! secondly, dont go to Joannes...I work at Hancock (and no i dont just like saying that) and I can get the straps at a 20% discount.

14. TarikJanis

Jun 11, 2003
    Well the only other option would be snaps. I don't really wanna use snaps, I've heard it can put uneven strain on that particular area of ABS and warp, bend or crack that area of the ABS. Plus I only have 1 day off before Meg and I leave for Comic-Con so It'll be hard for me to get to your place, and since I have know Idea how to attach a snap to ABS I'll have to use the velcro.

15. TarikJanis

Jun 11, 2003
    Oh I forgot to mention. I kinda threw together a new costume for con at the last minute. I made a Jacen Solo costume!!! Its Sweet!

16. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    You dont use snaps either, trust me, you dont want to put this together the 501st way...doesnt work, just ask Brandon, they used my suit and two standard issue suits for a fan film recently, mine was the only suit to survive...I will call you this week and tell you how to do it quickly and efficiently, trust me on this, I have had my suit over ten years...I have worked out the bugs on how they should go together.

17. olympic_hack

olympic_hack Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Do you have pictures?

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Costuming question.

Does anyone know somewhere in the valley that I can find (preferably low price) Jedi boots? I wear a woman's 12/men's 10, so it's not exactly easy to find my size. Every thift store I've found only has boots size 7. I found a nice pair of brown Engineer's boots at Boot Barn (nice boots), but they want $175 for them!

That, or does anyone know of any equestrian stores around here? There's no good ones down in my end. :(

19. jdijade

May 23, 2005
    There's an equestrian place in San Bernardino where Hospitality dead ends into E street. It's called The Horse Connection.

20. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Do you know if they have English style riding boots?

21. TarikJanis

Jun 11, 2003
    My jedi boots are actually black german officer boots i got at an army surplus store in riverside for 38 bucks. But they come in men's sizes I don't know if they have womens sizes in them.

22. Drgnfyre4

May 25, 2005
    The best bet for Jedi Boots aka english riders , is to call around to Equestrian suppliers and shoe/boot stores and ask if they have them in the rubber variety...these are much cheaper than standard leather English riders but arent always the first thing they will offer you since they want to sell you up on the leather ones which almost always will cost you $125 and up. One other possible source you can call that SOMETIMES carries them in stock is Supply Sargeant in Burbank, from time to time they have them in stock.

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Do you remember where the store is? I'm actually just looking for men's boots since they usually don't make my size in woman's. :D

24. TarikJanis

Jun 11, 2003
    Some place in riverside

25. kitchenvixen

kitchenvixen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    Look at an Army Navy store

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.