Weekly news from Mod Squad, week ending 10 March 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Okay, guys, sorry this one's late! We hope to list the outcome of each discussion whenever possible, as many of you have suggested, so I hope that makes up for our tardiness. :)

***************WEEKLY NEWS FROM MOD SQUAD***************
    WEEK ENDING 10 MARCH 2002***************

• A notice that Michael Sheard (the actor who played Admiral Ozzel in ESB) has posted in the SWNYC Presents Michael Sheard aka Admiral Ozzel thread and has been given VIP status.

• A topic debating the appropriateness of posting a "Moment of Silence for 9/11" thread in Communications. No conclusion yet.

• An announcement that the "Clone War" trailer is online and tips for mods who have had difficulty downloading it (unfortunately, a couple of us are still stuck with 56K modems).

• Discussion of our policy on posting pictures of scantily clad models. We aren't finished discussing this yet, but the general result seems to be that we won't allow very much of it, especially since many of our female members are offended by these kinds of threads.

• A thread announcing that Lucasfilm doesn't want us to allow links to mirrors of the "Clone War" trailer to be posted on the boards. As usual, we will be respecting their request, despite doubts as to whether they legally can limit mirrors.

• A note about a user who has a long-standing record of spamming but is being given another chance.

• A note about a banned user who has registered a couple of more usernames to try and stir up cross-site rivalry.

• A discussion on our current policy regarding cases of flaming over Private Messaging. Prior to now, a screencapture would tend to have sufficed as proof of misconduct, but since we have more Administrators readily available, it's been decided that it would be best for the victims of such abuse to allow an Administrator to log in as them to verify such complaints.

• A thread asking for the new mods' e-mail addresses.

• A reminder that we moderators are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that won't reflect badly on TFN and the JC when we post on other sites' message boards.

• A discussion of whether or not we should make it a policy to change ex-moderators' color schemes to green text on a transparent background to differntiate them from other VIPs. We've decided to proceed with this idea and will probably create a new section in our staff listing that will be devoted former moderators.

• A thread requesting help from any online moderators regarding a depressed user considering suicide. :(

• A note that we wouldn't be allowing any screencaptures of the "Clone Wars" trailer to be posted until the trailer was released. Now, screencaptures are allowed, but they must have the "StarWars.com" text in the corner so as to give credit where credit is due.

• A thread annoncing that Aaron Allston (a SW author) has posted in The Official Aaron Allston Discussion Thread and has been given VIP status.

And here are the previous threads for reference:
    Week ending 3 March 2002
    Week ending 24 February 2002
    Week ending 17 February 2002
  2. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I find it amusing that Michael Sheard couldn't spell his username correctly.
  3. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hey, why isn't Commander Antilles doing this one? :p
  4. B'omarr Force Ghost

star 6
    Discussion of our policy on posting pictures of scantily clad models. We aren't finished discussing this yet, but the general result seems to be that we won't allow very much of it, especially since many of our female members are offended by these kinds of threads.

Maybe we should start a poll on that one? ;)
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Good work, guys. Keep up the good work.

I did notice that no discussion of the Fine Arts Forum was mentioned. Is that issue currently stalled or what?
  6. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    Can't speak for the Mod squad but it is still a topic of discussion by the AC.
  7. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    bah! You have the wrong link for the mod contact thread.
  8. vips Jedi Padawan

and another thing. Patjedi82 is still listed as a moderator, but he's a vip. What's with that?
  9. toochilled Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ''A note about a banned user who has registered a couple of more usernames to try and stir up cross-site rivalry''

I really hope you aint talking about Ternian here. :(
  10. yodaboy Force Ghost

star 5
    One last thing, Nathan should I also do the code for the ex-moderators catagory? If so I'll just do that, and update it with sapient's contacts and send it in. :)
  11. NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Gandolf, he's slacking, of course! :p

Rogue1-and-a-half, "stalled" would be a good word for it. It's still being discussed in the AC, like Darth_Asabrush said, but I think we need a bit more support if we're to procede with the idea.

yodaboy, call me lazy, but that's the thread I've been keeping updated. I don't have time to keep a full "contact info" list updated (I don't have time to search out e-mail addresses, AIM IDs, ICQ numbers, etc.), but if you'd be willing to keep tabs on it: creating a category for ex-mods and e-mailing me the changes that need to be made, your efforts would be greatly appreciated. PM me and we can coordinate this.

vips, I've updated PatJedi82's listing. Thanks!
  12. Commander Antilles Force Ghost

star 6
    Hey, why isn't Commander Antilles doing this one?

I'm delegating.
    rests his feet on one of the newbie mods and opens a beer

[face_mischief]
  13. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Hey! :mad: ::whacks CA with her lightsaber hilt:: Put your stinky feet someplace else!

Like on DarthSapient, for example, he's even fresher mod than I... ;) :p
  14. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    *snickers because Nate's weekly report was better than CA's*

Maybe there's just something about people with twelve-letter usernames.

:D

Oh, and thank you for granting me the color change to distinguish me from Vonda McIntyre.
  15. Commander Antilles Force Ghost

star 6
    *snickers because Nate's weekly report was better than CA's*

I just slack on the job. :cool:
  16. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    You should try reregistering with a shorter name. Maybe take out all the m's, l's, and s's.
  17. Commander Antilles Force Ghost

star 6
    I like my name. Take the M*r* part out of yours.
  18. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    This thread has run its course into spamming.

//locks thread.

Just kidding.
  19. Cel Jedi Youngling

star 1
    CA makes a better weekly news :p :D :cool:

*Hides from Nathan D*

20. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    He failed to mention our decision to raise American federal interest rates and to manufacture a war in India.
  21. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    I've been look at Darth Psychotic's threads and you also failed to mention that you guys are planning to hack into CNN.Com and say that Russia is planning to overthrow its capitalist rulers and that a revolution has begun here.

Shhhh!!!!
  22. JediJeffro Force Ghost

star 5
    So we're STILL discussing Ternian in Mod Squad, are we?
  23. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
  24. Cel Jedi Youngling

star 1
  25. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    -- but the general result seems to be that we won't allow very much of it, especially since many of our female members are offended by these kinds of threads.

People get offended by swimsuit and lingerie models? What the?
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.