main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Weekly news from Mod Squad, week ending 17 February 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Commander Antilles, Feb 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    ***************WEEKLY NEWS FROM MOD SQUAD***************
    WEEK ENDING 17 FEBRUARY 2002***************

?What?s this about??, you may be asking. Well, let me explain.

As you may know, we have had a hacker stealing a number of our private threads and emails recently. While attempting to stop him, and sadly losing some good moderators like Silmarillion, Sebulba-X, and BobaFemme along the way, we are aware that he tapped into a strong feeling that the administration is overly secretive and aloof from the ordinary members.

With this in mind, we discussed a number of ways to improve the situation. One of the ways we all thought we could improve things is by providing a weekly synopsis of the discussions that go on in the admin board (the Mod Squad), to give the membership an idea of what goes on behind the scenes.

Ironically enough, this idea did not come from a moderator, but from a member: farraday. And we're giving credit where credit is due.

Please note, however, that we will not go into great detail for most threads, but rather provide an overview. Also, we won't be providing details on any topics that we consider sensitive issues which should not be discussed outside the admin board at all, eg threads pertaining to the security of the JC, threads that concern specific JCers, and the names of people that we consider for promotion to moderator, for reasons that we trust are self-explanatory. Also, we will not give the views and positions of specific moderators in any discussions. We will not say, for example, that Lord Bane supported the unbanning of X member, or that The Gatherer voted for Y member to be promoted to moderator. If you want to know how a certain mod contributed to a certain discussion, I invite you to PM them and ask them.

With that said, we hope you appreciate the aim of these threads, which is to foster greater understanding and openness between the moderators and members.

If you have any questions about these threads, please post a question in them and we will answer it as far as possible given the aforementioned stipulations.

REPORT OF JC MODERATOR DISCUSSION, WEEK ENDING 17 FEB 2002:
    • Changes to FanForce edit times were discussed. The suggestion of extending the edit times was seconded and approved.
    • Discussed responsibility and liability of certain bootlegged material being posted on the boards.
    • Several security issues were discussed. Details withheld for obvious reasons.
    • Discussed possible activities/changes for the forums on Valentine's Day. You no doubt already witnessed the result of this discussion.
    • Discussed the problem of JavaScript pop-ups (after some members abused the scripting, causing browsers to crash) and possible solutions/avenues of action.
    • Discussed the recent resignations and relocations of various mods/FF reps.
    • Discussed both general and very specific methods of improving the relationships between both the staff and the members, and the staff and the moderating team.
    • Discussed the need for new moderators, which forums needed them, where we're lacking, and potential new candidates.

2. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks for the update. Quite appreciated.

3. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    But where's the drama? [face_mischief]

4. Internet_Drama

Internet_Drama Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2001
    Hello, friends.

5. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    "Discussed the problem of JavaScript pop-ups (after some members abused the scripting, causing browsers to crash) and possible solutions/avenues of action."

Please don't take the JavaScripting capabilities away from this place. I know I taught some people how to make those auto-loading pop-ups, and it's partially my fault, but I urged people not to overuse it and certainly I didn't intend anyone to take advantage of this and make browser crashing scripts.

IMO, those who abuse this feature should get punished appropriately, but the ability to use JavaScript should stay.

Edit: I think these types of threads are a good idea.

6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    This sounds good.

I don't think the javascripting should be taken away, but that the rules should be kept as they are.

No popup alerts.

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    cb, that might've been AA. He sent me something via PM that made that happen to me. :-\ Oh well.

Anyhoo, I love the idea for such threads! :)

8. Launch

Launch Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I appriciate this very much, I know alot of others here will too. Very good idea farraday :)

I have a question/suggestion tho. an this thread also be used for our suggestions? Like, on the java script thing, and other things you mods disscussed, could we use this thread to give our ideas in the matter? and also to suggest things that we think need to be discussed?

9. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Well this is a nice compromise.

10. Kaminoan-X

Kaminoan-X Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    What is wrong with these people who try destroy what the fans love?.

I hope the Mods will work things out and not let these "hackers" ruining things.

Antilles: I will do anything to help you guys, so I am lending my hand to you guys if you need anything.

11. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Quite nice to see something like this. It will help stem the conspiracy theories that sometimes run rampant through Communications.

12. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    No, those theories will still exist.

Begin Phase 2!

13. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Well of course they'll continue if you keep breaking radio silence. ;)

14. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I'm back in action, and I'd like to add this is a good idea, and I have a question:

I saw this in this thread, but i'm curious when you say you won't give specifics, will give overviews about things like Security and Promotions? Like will you say you reveiwed them, deatils withheld or not mention them at all?

¤Night

15. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Announcements will be made when we have something to announce. We won't be releasing details like "We're thinking about asking _____ to join the Administration."

16. Kaminoan-X

Feb 15, 2002
    Hmmm..

I talked to Antilles, saying I would lend a hand to you guys PB.

17. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    ... and I was responding to Night4554, nothing more.

18. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    and here I thought you liked me :(

;)

lol, so by saying you will announce when you have something to announce, you wouldn't say that you batted around concepts for, say, a new host for the JC if nothing important was discussed about it?

//hoping he's not getting on PB's bad side

¤Night

19. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Eh, it isn't that bad. I'm already on his bad side.

20. Rimkar

Rimkar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 1999
    This is a good idea and one that may go a ways in improving admin/member dialogue.
    It doesn't really matter what is told in these news updates so much, but more that the willingness is there to communicate.

21. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Night4554- That topic is something extremely important in all aspects of our board, including security. It is more of an internal TFN Staff matter, than anything else. For matters of our sanity, we wouldn't say anything about it until it was in stone: contracts were signed, and the move was scheduled. You wouldn't believe how much more trouble we'd be creating for ourselves if we let you in on that sort of information.
    You should go with GeoCities. I've used them for years and they are a great host.
    Stuff like that does happen and it drives me nuts.

Sithman- That's all in your head.

Rimkar- Most appreciated. Hopefully this will give the community a general insight that we're not all terrible dream-crushing monsters.

22. Kaminoan-X

Feb 15, 2002
    PB- I thought Snowball had security for things like this "hacking" and all, I mean TF.N does run off of Snowballs right?.

23. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Well, I hate to be so negative, but is this thread really necessary? I mean, you're internet message board moderators, not the fricken FBI! All this talk of security and private matters is really quite embarassing, IMO.

Once again, I apologise for my negativity.

24. Jotun_Denial

Jotun_Denial Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2001
    NEWSFLASH:

PPL FROM THE JC GO 2 THE EPISODE-X FORUMS 2 GET WEEKLY UPDATES FROM THE MODSQUAD, k?

You may want to check dp's anakinskywalker homestead website because there are already NEW FRESH MODSQUAD THREADS from LAST WEEK.

There is no excuse for this incompentence.
    Whoever is responsible for running the JC for past few months should have his/her ass voted off the island.

25. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    You speak of which you do not know, Jotun. Though you might think you know everything about what's going on, I can assure you, you don't.

And, no, we're not the FBI, but that doesn't stop the general populace from sometimes feeling as though the staff is 'keeping secrets' or what not. Why else would people check DP's threads? This thread is based on the concept of more open communication, that is all.

Vertical

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.