main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Weekly news from Mod Squad, week ending 17 February 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Commander Antilles, Feb 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    NEWSFLASH:

TERMS LIKE "NEW" AND "FRESH" ARE NOW BEING USED BY UNREALISTIC TROLLS AS ADJECTIVES FOR DESCRIBING THINGS THAT HAPPENED "LAST WEEK".

2. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Changes to FanForce edit times were discussed. The suggestion of extending the edit times was seconded and approved

HOW DARE YOU!

If you do that you will destroy everything that the JC stands for, and you will ruin my life!

I HATE THE ADMINS!

;)

3. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
  4. Kaminoan-X

Kaminoan-X Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    PB- You probly didn't see this because of that ignorant fool "Jotun", I said does Snowball have any Security over they're web-boards?.

just wondering *shrugs*

5. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Of course, otherwise we'd have a lot more than 1 person being a problem. The security of Snowboards is adequate for our needs. It's not impossible to break, but the people who do have the means to break it are working on more important things, like obtaining money and not information from the Mod Squad.

6. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    There is no excuse for this incompentence.
    Whoever is responsible for running the JC for past few months should have his/her ass voted off the island.

If you can do better, you're welcome to try.

Snowboards is adequate for our needs.

//gives Preacherboy a funny look

Well, it very rarely goes down, I grant you that, but other than that...

7. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    Oh, and I'm back.

8. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I'm talking about the security of the board code itself, not the mistakes made my users with privilages with their passwords and e-mail. In that respect, the board software is fine.

9. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    welcome back missy :)

this thread seems like a pretty good idea, but i dont think it will do that much to stop certain people keeping their interest in exactly who is saying what behind closed doors.

lets face it, regular users are standing on the outside looking in. most users are fine with this, and know that what you guys do in there isnt really our business.

this thread will be a window into the modsquad, but i dont know if it will serve to cut the intrigue that certain sectors of the internet world seem to have. i doubt it will stop people from encouraging DP, because you guys are still keeping sensitive stuff from the public. while that makes sense, it wont do much to help your situation.

hence, to communicate what is going on, like minutes to a board meeting, this is a good idea. if you are doing this to stop DP, or to stop people encouraging him, i dont know if it will help you at all.

10. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    This was not done to stop DP. We've done other things to stop him. This is simply to better communication between everyone.

Vertical

11. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

This move will definetely help though, Dagsy. At least people will have an idea of what is going on in the administration regarding issues such as, for example, edit times etc.

12. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    People can encourage DP all they want, it's not going to help him now. We did this as a gesture to the members, not as an attempt to make them disinterested in the hacked threads.

13. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Vert (EDIT: and PBra), CA said this thread was established with the DP situation in mind. However, so long as it isnt expected to stop DP, then its all good.

Provided it is a communication tool, then no problem. Like AL just said, at least we all know what is going on, and we can also put in our 2c before the new decisions are made

14. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Well, the DP situation simply amplified the feeling that some members simply don't know what's going on behind the scenes, and that they don't trust the staff. This was not done in an effort to curb any hacking, it was simply done as an effort to satisfy curiousity and help relations.

Vertical

15. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    What Vert said.

16. Kaminoan-X

Kaminoan-X Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    PB & Others~ I hope you find the basterd and nail him to the wall where the creep belongs.

17. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    well, lets hope that it will do what it is intended.

the funny thing is, most members couldnt give a crap about what happens. they come to post, and not much more.

there are a few members that have the whole 'conspiracy' thing going on, but i dont think this will satisfy them. nothing short of a modsquad demolition will satisfy them.

then there are the rest of us, also not that many members, who mostly trust you guys anyway. i guess this is for us more than anyone else, but it isnt necessary (but a good gesture nevertheless).

18. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    What Dagsy said.

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Thumbs up. Very good idea, admins. Thank you for posting this thread, and thanks to farraday for coming up with the idea.

20. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Good idea. While it won't do anything to shut up the die hard anti-mod users, it will help to insure the average poster won't fall into the that mindset. I was hoping you'd decide to do something like this.

!snap

21. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    I as a matter of fact, would give many craps about what goes on. It's actually quite interesting to see what they do in their secret underground boards.
    But maybe it's only because I'm a news junkie.

22. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    this is worse than the Pravda!

23. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I appreciate the effort as you guys should be more open, but I just don't see this working out. I frankly don't care what the edit time in FF is. I do care about the stuff that you obviously can't open up, lest you reward the hacker. This isn't going to help the people who don't care, and it isn't going to help the people that do. The only solution I see is to not do stupid stuff on the modsquad that makes members here disgrunteled. It is a nice thought, but I see it is just about as much use as a state run newspaper. You know that a new period of openess led to the fall of the USSR?

BTW: Thanks to DP I already knew of this, but didn't really think anything would come of it.

24. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Good idea. This should help out the jc in general.

25. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    This is an excellent idea and nice to see the administration taking in on board.

Thankyou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.