Weekly news from Mod Squad, week ending 17 March 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Okay, guys, once again I'm a bit late, mainly because I can't do this Sunday. Next week, CA will resume control of the list so you'll be getting it on time.

***************WEEKLY NEWS FROM MOD SQUAD***************
    WEEK ENDING 17 MARCH 2002***************

• A thread discussing a new JC banner that Lord Mauly Mall had been working on. We don't know how long it'll be before we're ready to get it up, though.

• A thread explaining how we (TFN staff and JC administrators) intend to have explanations posted for all decisions we make before we actually take action. That way, we don't force you guys to start threads asking about all mod/VIP status changes. Also, we discussed a change of board colors to accompany the new banner.

• Discussion of a new moderator for the Literature forum. Result: narrowed down to two candidates.

• Discussion of what to do with users who register socks which they use to flame themselves. Result: A ban for users who do so.

• A thread about inappropriate ads that have popped up on the JC occasionally.

• A thread about inflammatory comments in EU/canonist debate threads. Result: 24 hour spank for infractions after a warning has been given.

• A thread about PreacherBoy's demotion. Result: He's a VIP so he can concentrate on TFN Games, as his talents are better suited there.

• A thread about the Slackers' little visit. It was decided that, while not a big deal, their threads still would've been closed if started by other members. Result: their threads were locked, as they were bending the rules. In the future, they will not be given special treatment. Additionally, VIP status will not be given out lightly.

• A thread about "spoiled" users posting in the Prequels (No-Spoilers Allowed) forum and offering critiques of the movie based on spoilers. Result: users asked to refrain from doing so.

• A thread about new VIPs, which include Bacabachaui (TFN staff, TCG), Grand Moff Joker (Fort Worth, TX City Rep), and Aunt Jar Jar Mimah (Sacramento, CA City Rep).

• A thread about the St. Patrick's Day colors. I'm sure you enjoyed the fruits of PreacherBoy's and HongKongFu-y's labors in this regard. :)

• Tips on identifying some of our most common serial trolls, for the benefit of our new mods.

• Our icon-updating thread popped up again now that Lord Bane's back from "holiday".

• A thread about a user who has spammed a lot of forums with ads for his site.

• A note that Sebulba-X and Bobafemme are returning to their positions in FanForce. Please direct any questions to MysterySith. It's great to have them back on the team!

• A thread about the winners of the "Trivial Puruit" game, who have been given VIP status for three days. They are Morgaine, ChimealHeltei, and TwiLekJedi.

• UPDATE: spell has just been made an Administrator. He's a member of TFN Staff.

And here are the previous threads for reference:
      Week ending 10 March 2002
      Week ending 3 March 2002
      Week ending 24 February 2002
      [link=h
    • Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus

star 5
    • Pantalaimon Jedi Knight

star 1
      Very well done, I must say!
    • keokiswahine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
      Thank you, Nate. Have a nice day. :D
    • Red_Oktobur Jedi Grand Master

star 6
      how long did that take you?

:p just kidding.

Thanks dude. Sounds like you guys have been busy ;).
    • General Jedi Knight

Nicely Done NathanDahlin.
    • Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
      Cool. Now i have a question, how long has spell been an admin?
      curious, cause i never saw him colorful before...

¤Night

star 5
      I've never seen that name before. Who is that person?
    • NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus

star 6
      He's a member of TFN Staff. He just got added this morning and is in the Announcements Staff Info thread that I've been keeping updated.

star 5
      Gotcha: thanks Nate

¤Night

star 5
    • NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus

star 6
      Many of TFN staff are admins here. I think we have more than is necessary, but it's probably good to have admins from many different time zones.
    • EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
      A thread about PreacherBoy's demotion. Result: He's a VIP so he can concentrate on TFN Games, as his talents are better suited there.

So...does that mean he's no longer a mod? Yeah, that's what that means. Interesting...

A thread about "spoiled" users posting in the Prequels (No-Spoilers Allowed) forum and offering critiques of the movie based on spoilers. Result: users asked to refrain from doing so.

It's good that you guys are looking into it. The 'trailer newbies' that are spoiled and come to NSA talking about how we are in the dark is really getting on my, and other's, nerves.

EDIT: Nathan beat me to it.

star 5
      hey i got a brain picker for ya.. bet i'm getting annoying now ;)

If zerosleep retired from snowball, does he do anything any more?

¤Night
    • Vertical Former Head Admin

star 6
      He gives us a hand independantly when we absolutely need him. But that's very rare.

Vertical

star 5
      Here's a question for ya:

Why is DaftMaul still a mod?

:p
    • Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    • gundark Jedi Master

star 4
      So where are we on my VIP colors?

star 5
      Guns, I think someone complained about you getting colours 'just because [you were] an old member'.

And someone forgot that you are an ex-mod, and someone took your colours off.

But I could be mistaken.
    • barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
      I'm sure you enjoyed the fruits of PreacherBoy's and HongKongFu-y's labors in this regard.

Uhhh....yeah. [face_plain]
    • Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
      Discussion of a new moderator for the Literature forum. Result: narrowed down to two candidates.

Nice to see that's still moving forward. Any idea when exactly you?ll come to a final decision?
    • wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
      It's aboot time, eh?

wk

EDIT: Hell, I say make 'em both mods. Unless one of them is in the group that thinks I'm a troll :D
    • Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
      Hell, I say make 'em both mods.

LOL! Yeah, that works too.
    • Jole Force Ghost

star 3
      users who register socks which they use to flame themselves

People actually do that?? Now I'm worried.
    • Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
      Yes, Jole, they do.

Apparently it's become the new witty thing to do over in Community.

And do I understand correctly that threads will now be locked for bending the rules?
    Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
    Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.