Spring, MO Weekly Saber Practice

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by KyoshiMarcusRa, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyoshiMarcusRa Jedi Padawan

Greetings,

Just wondering if anyone would like to gather for a weekly saber practice say on tuesdays or thursdays? Sort of a formal thing in full costume if you have one.We can hammer out the particulars if anyone has a interest.

Kyoshi Markus'Ra

Jedi
  2. Master_Byrd Jedi Master

star 4
    Sounds like fun, if I ever have the time off.
  3. Darth_Mordus CR Springfield, MO FF

Chapter Rep
    star 1
    I like the idea, but once a week may be a bit much. I may be able to swing every other week or so but not every week.
  4. Kantorak Jedi Padawan

I would be up for this, I don't have a costume, but it sounds like fun.
  5. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    Just a word of advice:

As someone who spent the night in the ER thanks to lightsaber props, I caution you to be extremely careful with them.

The cheap toy ones aren't dangerous, but are also worthless for fighting with.

PVC blades will break. This could lead to small bits flying off and causing serious injury.

Metal blades will break bones.

Padded blades will wear down. The padding will need to be replaced frequently.

Whatever you do decide to do, be safe.

I would also recommend actually learning how to fight before you go swinging at other people with a dangerous weapon. The Shire of Oakheart (the local group for the Society for Creative Anachronisms) meets weekly to do full contact recreation of midieval swordfighting. There are several combat experts there from which to learn.

SMS also has a fencing club that might be helpful.

Several martial arts (especially Akido) do work with weaponry.

EDIT: I just realized KyoshiMarcusRa works with Waldryk. He knows what he's doing. Move along...
  6. Darth_Mordus CR Springfield, MO FF

Chapter Rep
    star 1
    I have trained in Tae Kwon Do for 12 years, am a black belt and former assistant instructor. I have had sword training and beleive me, safety is formost. I could offer some helpful advise, hints and even some basic training. I would recommend that we start off with light combat just to aclimate one's self to to the dueling and also recommend starting with boffers. Granted, they will need frequent maintenance but I would rather fork out 1.50 for a new fun noodle to repair my saber as apposed to the amount for an ER visit. LOL
  7. Master_Byrd Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe we could do saber practice once a month? If our meetings are the last saturday of every month, perhaps we could train every second saturday?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.