main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WEEKLY TASK #3

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother House' started by epic , Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    HMs,

Your task this week is to create a "Murder Mystery", that will have to be written, and then acted out through the use of 20 threads at the end of the week.

Firstly, as a group, you will have to work out the basic plot, character traits and relationships with other characters, red herrings, and of course, who is the guilty party. (NOTE: "Secret" info towards the mystery plot should be discussed only via PM, so the public won't know the details.)

Once you've agreed with what's happening, each housemate will be required to post a thread describing their "character", and their history and relationship with the other "characters" (housemates) in the mystery, etc etc. Basically, it's unvieling the character. You should also add background information that can be used in the plot as clues, or anything you want.

Finally, once you're ready, you'll get to "act" out your story, in character, through the use of threads, detailing the story. You may use up to 20 threads for whatever purpose you desire. They may represent a particular room in the mansion (or whatever you choose), or important plot narrative, or a historical fact, or, I dunno... you're creative. Come up with something cool. Making sure, of course, that within the 20 threads you leave room for the "wrapping up" thread, leaving the obvious "Whodunnit?" question.

Your job is to make sure you've provided enough facts in the threads to actually be able to work out who did it, but conceal it in such a way that more of the Community will get it wrong than they will right.

The Community, you see, will be given the chance to post who they think is the guilty housemate, once you've finished with the "show". In order to win the task, the majority of the Community has to get the "Whodunnit?" question wrong.

How much of the 1990 points you have are you willing to wager on whether you can outsmart Community? ;-)

-BB

PS: Any questions concerning the task, please post in this thread.

2. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Did someone tell you that I hate creative writing? This is two task now that we've had to write a story. It's a good task and all, but I feel like I'm in school again.

I guess that I'll just have to bash my head into my desk for an hour, or so to get the juices flowing.

Thanks epic!

3. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Erik, Don't worry -- I'm expecting more creativity than just a written story in this task. There are 20 threads to use as part of the plot, and not all of them have to be creative writing. Just "segments" to the overall plot, so to speak.

Also, HMs, in addition, you have to make an "Ode To The Lost Housemates" thread, where, when a housemate is evicted, you post something as an ode to that person. Or something.

Finally, each housemate must contribute ONE personal thread at some point in the next 4 days.

-BB

4. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    All right.

I perhaps have a nice idea that might work. I'll write a short synopsis later today (around 3:30 - 4:00 pm board time), and send it out to everyone.

Hopefully, you'll like it.

EDIT: Don't worry, Erik. I'll try and cover you.

5. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    cool Casper, we should definitely communicate through PM's until we have a basic idea of what we're doing. if you could come up with a basic plot synopsis that would be great then everyone could elaborate on their own characters, and the story could evolve from there.

6. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    Oh boy. :p Oh boy. heh

7. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    Wow... this should be interesting. :D

8. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Yeah, Erik, we'll cover for you. I don't know whether I'm good at it, but I at least like creative writing. I figure a few people could invent the main plotline and even most of the characters, then the others only have to be able to act out the part of their characters and all. I think this'll be fun. I'd like to look at/go over/have some say in your idea, Casper, before it's completely finalized, though I have little doubt you'll do a pretty good job. I work better within a basic framework anyway. Meanwhile I'll be trying to think of ideas that might contribute...

EDIT: But I definitely think we should keep discussion of the storyline within PMs, maybe entirely. Anything that we say about it out here could give hints to our readers from Community.

9. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    yeah Casper says he's about ready to send out what he's got so far. i'm sure this will just be a basic framework that we can all add to and build on, or alter as we see fit.

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    this place gets more confusing every day ...

11. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    It's not confusing.

And remember, everyone: let's construct the thing via PM. Anything may give it away, so we'll have to be careful.

Deal?

12. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Yes, deal.

EVERYTHING VIA PM!

(It's like a chant, like "Remember the Alamo!" or "Viva la whatever" or something. "Everything via PM!" :p)

Also, epic, question, when exactly does this have to be done by? Next week obviously, but exactly when?

13. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Just made the "Ode To The Lost Housemates" thread thing.

EDIT: Gonna do my personal thread in a sec ...

14. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Jjanda -- The Weekly Task should be finished by the end of this week. That is, anytime before Sunday, really. Remember, you each will have to "unviel" the character, at the very least a day or two before the actual mystery is played out.

-BB

15. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    Just double checking, but the personal threads have nothing to do with the murder mystery, am I correct? They're not the personal thread of your character, but about your regular daily life right? :)

~*Senoj*~

16. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
    I think so. :p

17. Jedi Speewwy

Jedi Speewwy Jedi Master star 5

Dec 24, 1999
    Yeah that's what I was wondering too. When I read it I assumed that meant threads that had nothing to do with the murder. Is that right, epic?

18. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
    Whatever. ;) I'm gonna make a personal thread, unrelated to the MM.

19. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Everyone should check our secret hide-out. There's some new stuff there.

We're almost ready.

20. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    HMs,

As per request, the WEEKLY TASK has been extended for another week. This week will remain as the "planning" week, and all of next week will be designated to the "acting" of the MM.

I will offer additional points next week to make up for the loss of points at the end of this week.

Oh, and yes -- the "personal" threads are totally seperate to the MM.

-BB

21. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Excellent, epic.

And for everyone: check our secret hide-out.

22. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Don't forget, everyone: today's the day!

Check our secret hide-out.

Be there or be [image=http://www.asu.edu/caed/symposia/images/square.gif].

23. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Aquamarine?

24. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Oh, yeah.

That should have been:

"Be seen, or be aqua-marine."

25. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4