main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Weeping Luke

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by luisgv73, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luisgv73

luisgv73 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    Doesn´t everybody think that Luke is, with difference, the most babbling,weeping and crying character on the whole OT?

2. DarthTogan

DarthTogan Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2005
    Definately.

3. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Difference to what? What are you on about?

4. luisgv73

Apr 26, 2005
    do you feel more confortable with "by far"?

5. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    That would make more sense, yes.

But I'd still disagree with you, given his age in the film, it seems perfectly natural, I know guys irl that age that are far more whiny and far less ambitious...

6. luisgv73

Apr 26, 2005
    "I know guys irl that age that are far more whiny and far less ambitious..."

In the OT???

7. jelly

jelly Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2005
    :eek: What? Luke has a few reasons to cry, I think;

-sees his aunt and uncle's burned bodies (and probably has to bury them by himself)
    -sees Obi-Wan cut down in front of his eyes
    -although we don't see it, I think it had to affect him later that he just killed about a million sentient beings
    -he finds out that his entire life, everyone's been lying to him
    -he gets almost eaten by a nasty abominable snowman
    -his FATHER cuts off his HAND!!!
    -his Master dies in front of his eyes
    -he gets almost eaten by a monster in a dungeon
    -he is forced into a lightsaber duel to the death with his father by a twisted, nasty old man
    -he gets fried by Force-lightning
    -just as he finally finds his true father, HE dies in front of his eyes, too!

And you know what the best thing is? He's NOT a whining crybaby about all of this when he could be. He has one semi-whiney line in ANH and suddenly he's whining throughout the whole saga. Just not true.

The only time I saw him actually cry was when Yoda died, and then his eyes just teared up a little. Let's face it, anyone else having to deal with all the crap that Luke went through would have folded like a house of sabacc cards.

Luke is the MAN!!!

Argh, it drives me nuts when people don't give Luke the respect he deserves...

8. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    what was he killed a million sentients beings?

9. Jedi_Papa

Jedi_Papa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2001
    The Death Star. Many forget people were on that station.

8^B

10. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    No point to this thread. Move along. Move along.

11. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

You rock, jelly. [face_dancing]

There is too a point to this thread! It is to show, through not-so-subtle satire (as evidenced by luisgv's introductory post), how Luke is obviously NOT a weeping willow.

:D

12. luisgv73

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks but I did not intended to be satirical, I honestly think that Luke is a weeping willow... Leia has lost everything as well (step familly, all her friends at her homeworld, statu quo) AND has realized that Vader is her father AND has the enormous responsibility of leading the rebellion AND who knows what Jabba did to her while on her palace.

13. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Pointless thread .

14. tavis12

tavis12 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2005
    I think I found the point to this thread. The point is to illustrate how much more of a man Luke is compared to his father Anakin at the same age.

If you want to discuss whining, crying, etc. talk about Anakin, not Luke.

15. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Amen. The Luke-whines-too safety net built for Anakin has got to be put in its place. That boy's life was ****. He's impatient and impulsive as any young man, but he's smart, a great leader, a great friend who cares for people other than himself, and fearless in battle.

Anakin's name is hard to say. He whines for the sake of whining and in front of his long lost love no less. Idiot. I hope he burns in hell for being such a jerk to everyone.

16. durty_mynock

durty_mynock Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    but when GL did star wars, he tryed to make a hero that everibody could identify themselves...consequently, Luke is weeping

17. Leialong

Leialong Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    I think Luke actually would have cried alot more had Mark Hamill been a better actor. As it stands, he simply turns his feathered head to the side alot and swallows...to let us know he's in turmoil. LOL

18. jelly

Jan 21, 2005
    DeJade_Vu: You rock, jelly.

[face_blush] Thanks! I tend to get a little overenthustiastic when defending Lukie.

**Luke-luvver since 1977, y'know!!**

luisgv73: Leia has lost everything as well (step familly, all her friends at her homeworld, statu quo) AND has realized that Vader is her father AND has the enormous responsibility of leading the rebellion AND who knows what Jabba did to her while on her palace.

And we see Leia crying in ROTJ and asking Han to "Hold me!" What's your point? Both of the characters have been through a lot, but Leia is more used to holding her emotions in as she's been trained that way through her diplomat status. That being said, I still don't believe for one instant that Luke is a 'weeping willow'.

leialong: I think Luke actually would have cried alot more had Mark Hamill been a better actor. As it stands, he simply turns his feathered head to the side alot and swallows...to let us know he's in turmoil. LOL

I personally think Mark did a brilliant job in portraying Luke. There are so many moments in the OT where he does say so much with just a grin, or a gesture, or a certain twinkle in his eye...that, to me, IS the sign of a good actor.

19. kann

kann Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    Right on, Deeysew :)

I was far more annoyed by Anakin than I was by Luke. Actually I thought Luke held up quite good in ANH, especially after they escape the Death Star when Obi-Wan gets killed.
    I would've cried like a baby.

20. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Actually, if there's an overemotional characer in the saga, it's Anakin. He has the to be the most histrionic teenager to ever hit SW. He cries when he leaves his mother in TPM. He cried when she died in AOTC and afterwards when he confessed his crimes to Padme. His eyes filled tears he didn't qutie shed in ROTJ. And if what I've seen from the trailers is correct, he cries at some point in ROTS, too. Now, these are all good reasons to cry, but the kid just completely lacks the emotional control his kids do.

I think the point was more that the Skywalkers are emotionally sensitive people, not to mention that they're persistently getting smacked by life-altering/dramatic/painful situations.

Anakin's name is hard to say. He whines for the sake of whining and in front of his long lost love no less. Idiot. I hope he burns in hell for being such a jerk to everyone.

I agree that using Luke as a safety 'net is unfair, but goodness, he whines *once* in an immature fashion in AOTC. The other time, he's wrapped up in his grief over his mother's death.

I'm more surprised that nobody points out Han whined more than Luke and Anakin ever did combined.

21. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think jelly responded better than I could have.

22. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Very well put, Chaotic_Serenity (and great list of examples, shelly!). I wouldn't say that Han Solo "whined" in a literal sense, Chaotic, but ratherly he just complained a bit too much and was a little too cocky, arrogant, and self-centered until TESB and ROTJ, where his compassion kicked into full, high gear and his character developed.

23. jelly

Jan 21, 2005
    Wester547: (and great list of examples, shelly!).

Ah, shelly hasn't responded to this thread, but I - jelly! - have! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.