WEG d6 rules for Phantom Menace

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Koohii, Jun 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    These stats are designed to be in keeping with the 2nd Edition of the Star Wars Role-Playing Game by West End Games. They are free for use, and abuse, so long as you don't try to make a profit from it.

Comments are mine, attibutable to me, and reflect my opinions.

Second Edition Game stats for Phantom Menace
    As compiled by Michael Mueller

Naboo
    Queen Amidala/Padme?

Dex 3d, blaster 5d, dodge 6d
    Kno 4d, Aliens 5d, bureaucracy 4d, survival 4d, willpower 6d
    Mec 2d+2, repulsor lift 4d+2, astrogation 3d, beastriding 6d
    Per 3d+1, bargain 5d, command 7d, con 6d, hide 4d, persuade 6d, search 4d, sneak 4d+1
    Str 3d, climbing/jumping 4d, swimming 4d+1
    Tec 2d, security 4d, first aid 5d, droid repair 4d
    Force Sensitive: ?
    Force Points: 3
    Character Points: 9
    Move: 10
    Equipment: Sporting blaster (3d+1) wardrobe (3d6 outfits per session)

///^sm1l3 f4c3^-- How the heck does this planet?s government work? How does someone get democratically elected to be monarch? For 2 terms of 4 years each? And I thought Tapani politics were odd!///

JarJar Binks

Gungan Klutz
    All stats 1d except:
    dodge 7d
    Str 3d
    Notes: Gungans get +2d to swimming, but suffer ?1d to all rolls when in dry, arid atmosphere

Gungans:

Dexr 1d to 3d+1
    Kno 1d to 4d
    Mec 1d+1 to 3d+1
    Per 1d to 3d
    Str 1d to 3d
    Tec 1d+1 to 4d
    Notes: Gungans get +2d to swimming, but suffer ?1d to all rolls when in dry, arid atmosphere.
    Just look at the stats for Mon Calamari. In fact, just play a Mon Calamari?your friends won?t have to kill you for speaking in that stupid pigeon English.
    ///| {author?s note: quote from infinite sources, boiled down to a single comment}|-- I hate these creatures. A race so worthless even the Jedi call them ?pathetic lifeforms?.///
    ?Wipe them out. All of them.?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jedi

QuiGonn Jinn

Dex 3d, blaster 4d, dodge 4d+2, lightsaber 6d, melee combat 4d, melee parry 6d
    Kno 3d+2, Aliens 8d, bureaucracy 6d, cultures 8d+1, intimidation 4d+1, languages 6d, planetary systems 7d, jedilore 6d+1, survival 5d+2, value 6d+2, law enforcement 5d, history 7d, sithlore 4d+2, willpower 6d+1
    Mec 2d, repulsor lift 3d, astrogation 3d, space transports 4d,
    Per 3d+1, bargain 7d, command 8d, con 6d, hide 6d, search 5d+2, sneak 5d+1, persuade 5D+1,
    Str 3d, climbing/jumping 4d, stamina 6d+1
    Tec 3d, security 4d, first aid 7d, droid repair 4d
    Force Sensitive: Yes
    Force Points: 7
    Character Points: 25
    Equipment: jedi robes, jedi utility belt (includes rebreather &?) lightsaber.
    Control 5d Sense 7d+2 Alter 4d
    Force powers:
    Control: healing, concentrate, control pain, detoxify poison enhance attribute, emptiness, hibernation trance, remain conscious,
    Sense: Combat sense, sense Force, danger sense, life detection, magnify senses, sense path, receptive telepathy
    Control & Sense: Farseeing, lightsaber combat, projective telepathy
    Control & Alter: transfer Force
    CS&A: Affect mind, control mind
    Sense & Alter: Dim other?s senses

///% zzzz?shxzz%-- This is a nice guy. Some friends of mine were having problems with a loan shark, and asked him to help. He negotiated a deal where we, um, they paid off what they already owed as soon as they could, and no one got their appendages broken. And he wouldn?t accept a fee for negotiating the deal.///

ObiWan Kenobi

Dex 3d, blaster 4d, dodge 4d+2, brawling parry 5d, lightsaber 5d, melee combat 4d, melee parry 6d
    Kno 3d+2, Aliens 6d, bureaucracy 4d, cultures 4d+1, intimidation 4d+1, languages 4d, planetary systems 5d, jedilore 5d+1, survival 4d+2, value 4d+2
    Mec 2d, repulsor lift 3d, astrogation 3d, space transports 4d,
    Per 3d+1, bargain 5d, command 7d, con 4d, hide 4d, search 4d, sneak 4d+1
    Str 3d, brawling 5D, climbing/jumping 4d, stamina 4d+1
    Tec 3d, security 4d, first aid 5d, droid repair 4d
    Force Sensitive: Yes
    Force Points: 4
    Character Points: 15
    Equipment: jedi robes, jedi utility belt (includes rebreather &?) lightsaber.
    Control 4d Sense 4d Alter 2
  2. DexRicon Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm a little confused. I'm only superficially familiar with D6, but I thought starship stats such as cost, crew numbers, and hyperdrive speed translated directly over.
    Why are the Trade Federation costs so low? The battleships are over 2 miles long and heavily armed, how come they're only 12,000 credits? Same with the tanks. 2200 credits? A tank armed with six concussion missile tubes is only worth a used X-34 and a mastercraft medpac? The one definitive comparison I bothered to look up was the droid starfighter, which the RCRB lists as 19,000 (new) and 5,000 (used).
  3. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Where did the prices come from?
    I made them up.

Why is the Trade Federation equipment so cheap? Because it's poorly built and not well engineered. It's faulty and defective. There are gaping holes and defects.

Price is also governed by demand: no one would want to buy it.

It's part of my overall low opinion of TPM.

But hey, this is for your entertainment. Don't like what I made up? Change it! I won't know or care too much. Post any changes you like. Along with your reasons, and anyone else who checks out this thread can benefit from your wisdom.
  4. Tremaniac Jedi Knight

star 3
    Given the Emperors obscene stats in the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook, I'd be more inclined to give the jedi slightly better stats force-wise. Maybe up each by a D or so. And in theory Qui Gon was supposed to be hot stuff with a lightsaber, so maybe boost that to 8d or so. I have to agree about the costs of a federation driod ships. Add at least a zero to the end. While demand may not be high, in that time frame they are waayyyy too cheap as is. Besides, the theory is without the government taxing you 50% your Republic Credit can go farther than an Imperial Credit would.
  5. DexRicon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Low opinion of TPM or not, a two mile long starship is still two miles long. You're basically saying that I could sell a YT-1300, which carries 100 tons of cargo and holds a total of six people, for TWO capital ships that each carry a signifigant portion of an ISD's weaponry. A pair of them has enough power to perform a BDZ judging by the stats given in Secrets of Naboo.

The weakness of the Trade Federation was not its equipment. The weakness of the Trade Federation was that it was headed by a bunch of cowardly businessmen. The droids acted exactly as designed, the tanks only had two losses both against heavy duty vehicle scale weaponry. The equipment was more than sufficient for its goal in a comparatively demilitarized society (the droids were going to be too large a threat for the Jedi to defend the Republic against). The Trade Fed loss in TPM was not due to bad equipment since they were actually winning. The loss came from the lack of foresight to remove all starships except one from the blockade.
  6. Duguay Force Ghost

star 2
    Koohii, why would you even bother wasting time conjuring up these stats out of thin air, if they are based on vehicles and characters from a movie you have a low opinion of? What makes you think that anyone would want to play with such stats that were created under that kind of cloud of negativity? A good stat conversion would use information already available, in an attempt to translate it accurately. Making up a price based on the opinion that the equiptment is lousy (which is an unsupported statement BTW) is abitrary. We know what the prices are on this equiptment, we don't have to guess, WotC rulebooks tell us this information.

As for the Trade Federation equiptment being shoddy, as I said, that is an unsupported argument. What we see on screen shows it to be in pretty good working order. We see only droid falling apart, after their control ship has been taken out. Other than that, there is no hint of equiptment breakdown. The Federation aliens didn't have to put a foot on Naboo soil, while all the automated war machinery invaded and subjegated the population. Doesn't sound run-down to me.

Compare to the Millenium Falcon, which we all like and know is the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy. How many times did the hyperdrive fail to activate, in spite of Han's repeated efforts to repair it? Please support your statement for TF equiptment being of poor quality, as I am finding it hard to think of an example. "I have a low opinion of TPM," is not evidence that TF machinery is low in quality.

One final comment. If you want your work to be taken more seriously, it is best not to advertise your opinion of the source that inspired the work. How good would it make us feel to watch an episode of our favorite TV show, if we know that the writer of this particular episode is someone who publicly denounces the show, and harps on what he doesn't like about it. Are we going to want to watch an episode written by this guy who says he hates the show? For one thing, we might wonder why someone who hates this show is writing for it. It would hardly seem worth it to watch an episode written by such a person, would it?
  7. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Koohii, why would you even bother wasting time conjuring up these stats out of thin air, if they are based on vehicles and characters from a movie you have a low opinion of? What makes you think that anyone would want to play with such stats that were created under that kind of cloud of negativity? A good stat conversion would use information already available, in an attempt to translate it accurately. Making up a price based on the opinion that the equiptment is lousy (which is an unsupported statement BTW) is abitrary. We know what the prices are on this equiptment, we don't have to guess, WotC rulebooks tell us this information.

As always, the gentle reminder -- please attack ONLY the stat conversions from the point of the conversions, and not the person (and what they spent their time on). Hence, first couple of sentences -- not so good; later couple of sentences -- useful.

Carry on... :)
  8. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    im sorry but i find the stats for the jedi there to be trash, i havent properly looked at the rest though.

luke skywalker had 2d+ in some force skills i believe, at the end of ANH. if he managed that in under a week, what would qui-gonn et al acheive in years?
  9. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    luke skywalker had 2d+ in some force skills i believe, at the end of ANH. if he managed that in under a week, what would qui-gonn et al acheive in years?

True, but also think in the economic sense of "opportunity cost."

Figure, Luke'd been accumulating CPs at a relatively steady, but paltry, way -- normal RPing through moisture farming. Assume he accumulated a few extra CPs here and there for "irregular" adventures -- piloting a T-16 in a race vs. Biggs, Jawa encounters, Tusken encounters, bullseyeing womprats, etc.

So Luke's got some points to spend when he's on that Falcon, not to mention already Force Sensitive and a Skywalker (+1 pip in each Force skill to start, rather than 0D)...

So, for Luke to get to 3D Control and 1D Sense by the Battle of Yavin... that's +1 -> +2 -> 1D -> ... -> 3D, or 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2 == 11 for Control and +1 -> +2 -> 1D, or 1,1 == 2 for Sense. For a TOTAL spent of 13 CP.

Now, granted, Qui-Gon Jinn's stats, as depicted, are underpowered. He'd be more likely to be 9D, 6D, 7D (emphasis on Living, rather than Unifying Force) or maybe a little higher. Still, increasing ONE PIP of Control would equal almost all of Luke's training on the Millennium Falcon.

Qui-Gon, despite The Phantom Menace, did not spend the majority of his life "having adventure." A good chunk of early life was training (steady, though paltry, CP gain) as well as much of his later life was training someone else (steady, though paltry, CP gain). He'd never trained someone through Knight (I believe), so no extra CP there. And his adventures would give him quite a few, but remember that he was the greatest swordsman in the Jedi Order at the time of TPM (or close to), so he'd have spent quite a bit of CP on Lightsaber and Lightsaber Parry.

So comparing Luke who had many adventures by age 18 (ANH) to Qui-Gon, who had probably little adventure by age 18, doesn't necessarily compare. Even Yoda, at 900, only had like 13D, 15D, 12D... ;)
  10. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    1: I never said I wanted to be taken seriously. These are for entertainment.

2: I did base a lot of these stats on: what was shown in the movies and the source books available.

Toward this end:
    Battle Droids are structurally weak--obiwan breaks two of them just by kicking them, and several more by force-pushing them.

Same with equipment. OK, I was pulling prices out of my rump. Yes, some of them are off. Some of them are way off. I only had my few hours looking the WotC main book 3 months previously for a quide to their interpretation, and I was concentrating on their rules, not looking at their price list. Don't like my prices? Change them. For stats, however, I took what was in the original WEG books, and downgraded them a bit to reflect that technology would have advanced over the course of 40-50 years. Naboo Starfighter, for example, was based on z95 Headhunter, scaled down.

Yes, the Jedi stats are weak. Why: I don't buy into QGJ being a master swordsman, but more of an all-around diplomat. Given their role as peacekeepers and arbiters, social and knowledge skills would be much more important. QGJ would be using the force for Knowledge and Defence, not attack.
    Also remember that Luke is supposed to become the ultimate Bad Ass! His power is to become even greater than all the previous jedi. He has to defeat Vader, and the Emperor. Thus, the average jedi is not going to be the supreme combat beast that we've got going in all the rpgs. If you check some of the full fledged Jedi Knights in the <u>Tales of the Jedi Companion Guide</u>, their force stats are less than 4d. And Obi Wan hasn't passed the test to become a full fledged jedi until the very end of the movie. And Obi Wan was supposed to become a better knight than QGJ.

And again folks, if you don't like what I put together, change it. Or just don't even use it. It's up to you.
  11. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Why: I don't buy into QGJ being a master swordsman, but more of an all-around diplomat.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it's flat-out wrong. ;)

The Phantom Menace novel confirms that Qui-Gon was about the finest swordsman that the Jedi Temple produced in a very long time...
  12. Duguay Force Ghost

star 2
    I never said I wanted to be taken seriously. These are for entertainment.

I really put my foot in my mouth didn't I? Sorry. :(

I only had my few hours looking the WotC main book 3 months previously for a quide to their interpretation, and I was concentrating on their rules, not looking at their price list.

Fair enough.

For stats, however, I took what was in the original WEG books, and downgraded them a bit to reflect that technology would have advanced over the course of 40-50 years.

That makes sense to me. If I was going to undertake this kind of project, I might go about it that way.

Also remember that Luke is supposed to become the ultimate Bad Ass! His power is to become even greater than all the previous jedi. He has to defeat Vader, and the Emperor.

Oh, I don't know about that. George Lucas has implied in interviews that all we've seen of the Jedi are old men, half-cybernetic, and half-trained young men. He was saying this as though to imply, "Wait 'til you see a full fledged Jedi in action! You haven't seen anything yet!"

OB-1 and QG-J regularly reflect the droids blaster bolts back to their opponents throughout TPM. In RotJ, Luke only does it once, AFAIK. And although he does beat Vader, he had to resort to anger to do it. He didn't even have a prayer with the Emperor, he was just lucky Vader was there.
  13. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have an odd sense of humor, and people frequently miss it. If you look at the "comments" in the stats, you might have seen some of it. There are also loopholes in there that I used to explain a few things.

OB1 and QGJ reflected shots aimed by droids back at the droids. The droids weren't the best shots, and they weren't dodging. Easy targets.
    <i>"Good against remotes is one thing. Going up against the living--that's a whole different matter"</i>--Han Solo
    Luke only reflected shots once, against the living.

Luke wasn't a full jedi until the 3rd movie. Yes, he did use his anger against vader (and I'd have given him a darkside point for doing it). But he also allowed the emporer to fry him rather than continuing the fight (dark side point repented). And there are lots of ways to use the force: even to bring Vader back from the dark side by forcing him to confront his evil.

On the topic of the battle droids again: they weren't that effective. Sure, in a surprize attack they were able to seize control of a non-millitant society. But in a flat out engagement, their losses were far greater than the Gungans. The only reason they started to will was because of sheer numbers on the battlefield. And organized militia in town caused serious problems.

As so often happens in movies, if the people making the movie had any idea of real tactics, the battle would be extremely one-sided. My justification for the battledroids doing so badly (especially against an army lead by General JarJar) was that they'd been left at factory standard settings instead of programmed with any real idea of strategy.

As for the jedi stats being "not powerful enough"-- even if attacking once and melee parrying, Ob1, the weakest of the three, has 8D and 7D to roll when he has lightsaber combat up. I'd like to repeat that: <b>8D and 7D</b>. QGJ has 12D+2 to attack and parry. They would be doing 9D and 10D of damage. Maul would have 14D and do 16D of damage. That is not weak or wussy. And that's if they attack once and parry once per round.

How that works: "Lightsaber combat" is a jedi power that lets the character add his sense score to his/her lightsaber skill rolls and his/her control to damage rolls. Each darkside point adds 1D to all force skills each action after the first subtracts 1D from all rolls.

So much for these stat's being too low for jedi. If anyone still thinks so, nothing anyone says will change their minds.
  14. Aiwendil Jedi Knight

star 1
    I made some d6 stats for The Phantom Menace a couple of years ago as well. If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll put some of them up. Not to slight Koohii's stats at all, but if anyone wants to see another take on them . . .
  15. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Aiwendil, we welcome all takers here... all opinions welcome and valid... come and share... :)
  16. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd like to see them as well.

Differing opinions are always good.
  17. Tremaniac Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's not a matter of lightsaber combat so much as understating thier abilities compared to characters that exist later on. Because if that were the case Combat Sense could add another +2d to hit rolls. You're forgetting multiple action penalties and the fact that just about every force power that is "up" is another -1d to skills. But hey, they're your stats. Not that any of my players ever expressed the desire to play in a TPM setting anyway.
  18. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No, I don't think I am. Besides, how many other powers do you need up.

The way I have it, in a single, 3 second round, QGJ can parry incoming strikes, deflect blaster bolts, and attack 6 times with 6d to hit (average roll 21--enough to operate a lightsaber). That's every 3 seconds. Now, we may have differing understandings and interpretations, but that's still damn impressive.

And for those who consider age: OB1 was about 70 in SW. GQJ was ~50. So OB1 has 20 years of adventuring beyond GQJ to get to the 11d stats listed in the SW:ANH sourcebook. Just a thought.

Anyway, if anyone else has compiled stats, I'd love to see them.

By the way, all the comments here have been on the stats. Anyone have any reaction to the "Comments" I put in with the stats?
  19. DexRicon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Comments on your comments;
    Amidala: She is elected from a limited pool of aristocracy. The term 'monarch' is probably just a symbolic holdover from an earlier period

Gungans: They're hardly primitive lifeforms. They had pretty advanced technology, they're not all that primitive. BTW, Jedi are pretty arrogant anyway "Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"

Naboo Fighter: Not as weak as you say it is. The weakest weapon that caused a casualty from the fight was the main gun on the droid tank. I'd like to see an F-22 take a direct hit on the engine from an M-1 and not explode.

Royal Cruiser: No comments here, just that your length is wrong, by exactly half. It's 78 meters long.

Security Speeder: Weak my butt. That thing got through the front armor of a droid tank. No mean feat, my friend.
  20. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I didn't have any of the WotC source books with me when I compiled those stats. So if my dimensions are off from "cannon", I'm sorry. I will happily make note and correct in future.

As to Tank vs Starfighter, there's a difference in scale there. for every step of scale, the bigger object gets +2d to resist, and the smaller object gets +2d to hit it. For a larger object attacking a smaller, the smaller gets +2d to dodge, and the larger gets +2d damage. A character with a blaster shooting a freighter has a huge target (3 scales difference, +6d to hit), but a handblaster against a ship isn't going to do a lot of damage (5d max vs ship's hull +6d) unless the ship is very unlucky or the character is extremely lucky.

The Gungans aren't primitive, I agree. Remember that some of the "comments" are made by other arrogant people.

Speeder vs Tank: anyone and anything can get lucky. Or Unlucky. And knowing they were going up against tanks, perhaps they added a better cannon to that one tank? Or modified it for extra damage?

As for Naboo royalty: at first I was giving Lucas the benefit of a doubt and assuming he was following the Dutch/German system, where Kings/Queens were elected from the available pool when there was an opening. But this business of 2 term of 4 years mentioned in AotC is just too close to the American political system--I think Lucas is stretching too far for an analogy here. Again, comments are made by "people" on the galactic internet. That was my intention.
  21. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Personally I gotta agree here,

Darth Maul was a Dark Side Master of the Force who had been raised from birth to be a Dark Lord of the Sith. Yes he was an apprentice to Darth Sideous but he was still the equivalent of a Jedi Master.

His powers should be close to equalling Vaders given he faces two Jedi Knights at the same time.

As regarding Luke's stats its my opinion that Luke is amazing FAST in gaining his power levels but the average Jedi Master (including Qui Gon Jinn) should have around 10s all round with the least being an 8d or so for Obi Wan.

For a "okay" swordsmen, Qui Gon kicked alot of &@! in my opinion since he stood up to the single greatest swordsmen I think the Sith have produced (Vader relied more on pure meaness I think while Darth Maul was much more physical)

As for the Battle-droids being garbage, duh but since when has that kept people from charging top dollar for them....besides the Jedi still parried 3 attacks or so per round even if the droids did have only 3d in their shots

Otherwise great job
  22. DexRicon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok, I have to admit, got lost completely once I tried to add the game mechanics together. In any case, according to the RCRB, the droid tank and the Naboo Fighter are the same size, so the only d20 modifiers involved beyond the main attack modifiers would be the fighter's speed. It's also a credit to d20 in that a handblaster could damage a small fighter if the fighter was moving slowly enough.

Speeder vs Tank: anyone and anything can get lucky. Or Unlucky. And knowing they were going up against tanks, perhaps they added a better cannon to that one tank? Or modified it for extra damage?

But we've never seen another flash speeder fire its main weapon. We know there are other flash speeders that have visually similar armament. There is no reason beyond the "Naboo are peaceful" concept that that one instance should be an exception. Peaceful or not, there is a perfectly good reason to have a few heavily armed speeders around. As the 44 minutes in LA showed, it's smart for police officers to have the capacity for extreme force even if it's never supposed to be used.

As for the shot being lucky, remember that they had one flash speeder against what appeared to be three tanks. They took a risk, not a suicide attempt. If they didn't believe that each shot could be a fatal shot, they would have tried a different plan. Besides, getting a lucky hit is one thing, disabling an armored tank in one shot to its most heavily armored part is another.

In a related post...
    ...he stood up to the single greatest swordsmen I think the Sith have produced (Vader relied more on pure meaness I think while Darth Maul was much more physical)

Dooku was supposed to be the second best swordsman in the galaxy. Then again, he wasn't trained as a Sith. Neither was Vader.

23. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Well while Maul was inferior to Sideous, he was pretty darn close to his master's skill level (in the books) and a master of Style VII which is the most difficult and demanding sword style there is to master.

Also while Dooku is a master of Style II fencing it should be noted I don't necessarily believe that finesse necessarily will beat raw power....though Dooku as a Jedi master and Sith did have an edge on Maul there I do admit who seemed only to be in his twenties.

Vader we also know is the Chosen One too so that argues some points in his favor

Nevertheless Maul fought 2 Jedi Knights at once, one a full master and one nearly a knight

That should count for something
  24. DexRicon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Maul took on two Jedi at once and won. Yup, he's good. Supposedly the top three are supposed to be better, but as their seen accomplishments are nowhere near that feat, Maul is, so far, the Man.
  25. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow, people are still looking at this?

D6 does not have the different styles built into it (I suppose you could add them if you wanted too, but why?) Everything is "Lightsaber Combat" force power plus "Lightsaber" skill under dex. The stats I gave Maul give him 15d to hit, and 16d damage. That is more than ample. Remember, his stats have to be lower than Vader's.
    For Palpatine and Anakin, I took the stats listed and scaled them back ~30 years.

As to the Naboo fighter being too weak, remember that there's a scale difference, that would add 2d to resist damage from the tank. With shields, that makes the fighter 5d+1 vs tank cannon of 4d+1

Again, no one says you have to use my stats. These are simply the stats I created. Don't like 'em? Change 'em.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.