main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Weight Loss Support Group

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Sistine, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    So we all banded together to help Dave and Master kick the cigarettes (I am still working on it, Doctors orders: need to stabilize my meds first...sort of like a control thing I guess)

So how about starting a thread for helping us all get in shape. I read a lot of the resolutions and it seemed everyone was saying lose a few pounds and I am no exception! (I want to look good in my in my ?hand? costume at Con! Not to mention we have the weddings coming up!!! Eeek!!!)

What if we offer each other support? It is hard to do it alone. I have a gym membership but never go because I don't like to go by myself. So for me I need the 'gusto' to go alone. We could talk about what diets we each use?what kind of workouts there are out there? and what sort of inspiration do you use? Etc?. I can tell you my inspiration, a picture of Catherine Zeta-Jones on my bathroom mirror. If that woman can have two kids and look that good?well by Joe so can I. ( I know she has a personal trainer and all but still)

Are you with me???

2. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm with you. :D

I got up early today and worked out for about 45 min. Every day between now and deployment day I'm getting up at 6AM to work out.

3. Sistine

Apr 28, 2002
    Sweet! I bought the Winsor Pliates (however you spell that) and I figure if I get up at 5:30 I should do that prior to getting in the shower and ready for work at least three times a week.

Another inspiration: Mystix's boyfriend ran in the San Diego Marathon yesterday and did 13.6 miles in under 2 hours. Go Jameson! I however cannot see why anyone would want to run for 2 hours. I mean running isn't a plan; running is what you do when a plan fails!

4. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    If you're looking for a way to lose weight without feeling like a slug, try the book that I've used. It shows you a great way to eat without being hungry all the time and still losing weight. I've lost 80lbs in just over a year, and managed to balance myself out enough that they reduced my meds.

I haven't felt this good in so long that I cannot actually remember having this kind of energy.

Yes, this sounds like an advertisment, but I have really enjoyed the results.

Book is called, The Insulin Resistance Diet Now, I know everyone doesn't have that problem, but everyone processes food in much the same manner, so the principles behind it work for any kind of weightloss. My Mom has lost 30lbs so far, and my sister and her boyfriend just started it a few weeks ago, and they have both felt the difference in their energy levels already.

The diet is easy to follow, and just becomes part of your routine really quickly.

5. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    First things first - Sistine, get out of my head!! [face_laugh] I've been wanting to post a thread about this for a few weeks now - for exactly the same reasons!! You just beat me to it. [face_blush]

Anywho - YES!! I'm all about supporting each other. The PFF get-fit club? :D okay, maybe not. But hey, I'm REALLY needing some cheering on for this. I keep trying to do it by myself, and just keep sabotaging myself in the process. :p

ZOO, that sounds like a GREAT book! I've been convinced in the past few months that sugar is the BIG culprit, and not so much fat or carbs (even though most carbs have lots of sugar - go figure!). I think I'll check the book out.

As it is, I picked up a book that my mom has (I was reading it over the holidays) called Inuitive Eating. This one is about making peace with yourself and your eating habits, and basically learning how to listen to your body when it comes to food. I really like the philosophies they discuss. :) Another REALLY good book is Body for Life by Bill Phillips. I picked this one up last year, and absolutely love it. It's my own stupid fault that I didn't follow through with the amazing stuff in there. A really fantastic read.

YAY!!! **gives Sistine a huge hug and a kiss on the cheeck** Thanks for getting this going!!

^.^

6. -Master-

-Master- Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2002
    I just weighed in at 200lbs. :(

I need to drop 10 or 20.

7. Sistine

Apr 28, 2002
    I went home last night...with the intention of finally getting over to the gym and then I looked at my house... Oye! What a mess. So I cleaned house for 2 hours...does that count? :confused:

8. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    My morning workout was not as good as I'd hoped it would be. :( Tomorrow I WILL run. [face_plain]

9. arizonasithlord

arizonasithlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2002
    What a great Idea. especially since Im in dire need of weight loss.
    Went to the doctor in Nov. weighed in at a wopping 260Lbs and Im only 5'8"
    this last sunday night started a nightly ritual of walking around my aprtment complex, hopeing to get comfertable with just walking. Then itll be on to jogging and some weight training.

10. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Kristie, you and Sistine need to get out of my head! I too was thinking of a PFF support group where we can post our results for the week and what we are eating.

I did Body for Life a while back and I [face_love] it. I believe it is one of the few that addresses the physical, nutritional and emotional aspects of losing fat. Here are a couple of great support groups for people on BFL.
    www.leanandstrong.com
    www.bodychangers.com

Both have inspirational pictures and stories.

For going beyond BFL and into true body composition and even body building try:
    www.t-mag.com

If people are really brave, we can post our before and after pictures but that may be for another place and time.

BTW, I am eating 6 meals spread out over the day, every 2-3 hours. Meals consisting of Protein and carbs(like veggies or fruit) or protein and fat (like fish oil capsules). I am going to exercise at SCC.

Edit: I forgot to add. I drink at least 80 onces of water. At one time I was up to a gallon a day. If you have problems drinking water due to taste add crystal light.

If you are interested in purchasing Meal replacement bars or Protein powder or thermogenics or even pro hormones, the best place in the Valley to purchase these things is at House of Fitness. They have locations all over the Valley and in fact one right next to Atomic Comics in Mesa. I don't work for them, but they have the best prices and their people are extremely knowledgable. No disrespect intended to GNC or Hi Health but those people don't know squat as much as these people. Plus they don't work on commission or bs you about products that don't work so they won't steer you wrong.

11. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    Out-fricking-standing...

Julie and I are both VERY interested in dropping some extra us... I really want there to be less of me to love...

Heh heh - Too bad there's not a Jedi Mind Powers Weight Loss program...

<waves hand>
    You will exercise daily
    You will eat healthy
    You will not snack between meals
    You will stop drinking soda
    </waves hand>

Wouldn't that be nice?

12. -Master-

Dec 3, 2002
    While doing spring cleaning yesterday I found a picture of me from about 3 or 4 years ago. I was a healthy 180lbs and in great shape.

I went jogging last week and didnt fare to well. I made it about 1.5 miles before I had to walk for a half block before I could run again. I never achieved that runners high to keep going. :(

13. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    YAY!!! Okay, so when do we start? Right away? Next week? or just GO and do your thing? I'm excited to see our results. I KNOW WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Current weight for me: 145-150 (it fluctuates, unfortunately)

Ideal weight for me: 115-120 (according to me and past experience, NOT Jenny Craig)

HOODY FRIGGIN' HOO!!

14. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I got some sort of bad news from the Doc recently.

It seems that I may not actually lose anymore "weight" just inches. I was really hoping to lose another 20-30lbs. I guess I'll just have to see what happens.

Been working out everyday for a week (it's not like I don't have the time right now). And the stomach muscles are starting to come out of hiding [face_blush]

15. Commander_Choad

Sep 11, 2002
    Zoo: Don't stress about it - it seems that you are starting to hit the trade off point... i.e. you are reaching the point where built muscle mass is keeping you at a constant weight, as it weighs more than fatty tissue... This is not a bad thing, it could even be seen as a good thing!!

16. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    My workout didn't happen again today. :( I was too busy getting the wife and kids out the door early for her school. Oh well, I did get a few extra minutes of sleep, and a early morning......

At any rate, maybe I'll hit the gym tonight. Must work out.

17. TyriaTainer

TyriaTainer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    if only i was down there........

i've been trying to get myself up earlier in the mornings to at least walk for a while each day. i was gonna start it during the summer, then this whole rappist thing came out. all i need is someone to walk with, but for some reason people don't like to walk in 15 degree weather, hehehe

18. -Master-

Dec 3, 2002
    Well the last two mornings I grabbed a WoT book, jumped on the ole stationary bike and rode(not really ;) ) and read for 20 minutes. Next week I am going to bump it up to 30 minutes.

19. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2002
    Hopefully, I'll see some results from my weight training. I'm working out 3x a week with a trainer for 30 minutes and then doing aerobic activity for another 20 mins.

I'm currently in my 3rd week, but I still weigh 165lbs. My goal is to get to 150lbs and be much more toned than I was the last time I was 150lbs.

I need to work on my diet. Eating pancakes and eggs for dinner doesn't help my cause.... :(

20. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I loved having a personal trainer at 24 hour fitness. They kicked my butt and showed me how to use the equipment right. I can't wait until I can get one again. Plus I'd love to be able to afford to eat healthy --but hot dogs and ramen noodles are more in my budget, you know? ;)

21. Sistine

Apr 28, 2002
    My flaw is fast food. I am sssooooo darn busy that I haven't been the the grocery in...well months. I intend to go this weekend and pick up a truck load of fruits and veggies.

I am also to ask my friend, who has yet to appear on the boards...grumble grumble if we can trade off days of doing pliates (again spelling) I am would like to get to 150 from my 159 lbs if I can loose inches and gain some muscle. I was down to 137 last summer!

Waves hand You will fit into your size tens by this summer

22. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks Commander, I just wanted to lose some more weight to ease the strain on my Knees and Back. The bad leg is deteriorating faster than I am aging (can't even be considered for knee replacement until you're at least 40 :eek: ). I've really been trying to avoid being saddled with a full-time brace. So eventhough I will look like a normal shaped human being again, I'm goig to acquire a bit of exoskelton in the process :(

23. Commander_Choad

Sep 11, 2002
    power armour??? [face_love]

24. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I actually started last week (let myself get up to 225, have at least 50lbs to lose)but yesterday I added weight training. Here is a copy of what I did yesterday:

WEEK ONE

(Day 1 and 2 are to be repeated twice per week)

Day 1

A1)* Chin-ups, supinated (palms facing you)
    Sets: 3
    Reps: 10
    Rep Speed: 3 seconds up (pull yourself up over a period of 3 seconds), 1 second down
    Rest Interval: 0 seconds (after one set, move directly to the next exercise below)

A2) Squat
    Rep Speed: 3 seconds up, 1 second down
    Rest Interval: 0 seconds

A3) Push-up

A4) Deadlifts
    Rest Interval: 120 seconds

* The A1-A4 designations mean you do one set of each exercise with no rest in between. After the last exercise, in this case deadlifts, you?ll rest for the prescribed amount of time and then repeat the whole circuit two more times. After that, you?ll probably puke, and then you can move to the "B" exercises.

B1) Hanging leg raises
    Sets: 2
    Rep Speed: Hold 3 seconds at the top

B2) Decline reverse crunch
    Sets: 2
    Rep Speed: 3 seconds down, one second up
    Rest Interval: 60 seconds

The decline reverse crunch is performed on a slant board or a Swiss ball where you raise your legs up towards your face.

I am eating six times a day. Drinking Water with each meal.
    Breakfast: Meal Replacement Shake
    Snack: Cottage Cheese/Natural Peanut Butter and Flax Oil (yummy)
    Lunch: Chicken Breast/Fish Oil Capsules
    Snack: Meal Replacement Bar
    Post Workout Drink: Gatorade/Whey Protein/Creatine
    Dinner:Eggs/Mushrooms/FF Cheese.

Today for lunch it is Salmon. This will be my routine for 4-6 weeks. I will change after that time to a different workout and diet program.

Remember if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Make your meals ahead of time so you will not have to rely on Fast Food.

25. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    Mex Chewie: whoa... You are my new hero.

I really need to lose weight too, obviously. I've been on a ton of diets since elementary school, but since I preferred to stay inside reading (Where my inhaler was too, haha), they didn't help at all. Weight watchers keeps me too hungry to work for very long. I gained back all 30 pounds i dropped (grumbles)

I actually lost about 15 lbs last semester without trying since i was 1. too poor to afford soda 2. walked literally everywhere and 3. too lazy to eat anything besides ramen and carrots. And I only ate when I was hungry too. (odd concept for me)

Anyway, like I said, count me in for the weight loss! hoody HOO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.