main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Weight Loss Support Group

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Sistine, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    I am impressed... I'd never be able to give up my dark god, Pepsi, and all it has done for my tastebuds.

2. Master_Ronin

Master_Ronin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    I can offer one really easy piece of advice that helped me lose 60 lbs in 5 months (aside from a little extra exercise):
    Chicken.
    I cut down my red meat by half and substituted in chicken. Works wonders.

3. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    That's a good way to guarantee high-powered rifles and clocktowers for me :p [face_laugh]

Well, the spoils of my labours will be available for all to see at the end of June... My sister's wedding pictures :eek:

4. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    I havent scanned this whole thread so it might have already been mentioned.

Body For Life is an excellent book. In the last 2 years I've lost nearly 40 pounds. i wasnt following the book early on and only loosely follow it now but it has helped. i lost the most when I stopped drinking 8 MT Dews a day. A high blood sugar warning will do that to you. It's amazing how fear can push you in the right direction. Then working out became a necessity for my health as well as my sanity. Helped me deal with my divorce and prevented me from boiling over with hatred. (I'm better now. Beanie baby therapy was the best...;))

I primarily use the workout concepts in the book. Diet Im still working on. I love to eat so it is my biggest weakness.

My 2 cents

5. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    i lost the most when I stopped drinking 8 MT Dews a day

Good for you for cutting these out. I'm really very happy to switch to Diet Vanilla Coke or Diet A&W.

I also find if I do intense workouts 2 to 3 times a week that include strength training and then the rest of the time if I walk the dog, I lose weight.

CHICKEN!! YES! And the George Foreman grill. I get the even cook chicken from Sam's club and pop it on the "george".

I read a really good article last year and one of the things it said was choose 1 or 2 foods that you refuse to do without and find a way to include them in your diet.

6. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Tyson boneless and skinless chicken tastes really great on the George Forman grill and is very healthy (just don't reheat it in a microwave)

7. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Well, Yesterday was my first day on the BFL/bodybuilders workout/diet. I did really good nutrition was. I had 5 small meals and water throughout the day. No soda or junk food. Yay, for me. Pats myself on the back

At night, I went to work out at the gym and I worked on Chest and Triceps. I could have gone heavier on the weights but it was my first day backs and I didn't want to overdue it. I was also afraid of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). Next time I will do better since Muscle memory will start to hit me.

This morning did not go to well. I did not get the chance to have a good breakfast or prepare some good meals for the day. I also wanted to wake up early to go do some cardio at the gym but I couldn't get out of bed. I'll do better tommorrow.

Just a few statistics as of 1/12/04:

Weight: 226
    Body Fat %: approx. 32%
    Lean Muscle:154 lbs
    Fat:72 lbs

Photos and body measurements will be forthcoming.

I am trying to decide whether to use fitday.com or bfltracker.com to post my progress and pics.

8. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    I am considering doing/reading the DR.Phil ultimate weight loss book.I have watched his show and read some awsome reveiws about the diet.If i do ill post.

9. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Well, I don't know exactly if this was supportive or not.

Christy was watching the Tony Little Gazelle Infomercial and said:

"Mom, you should get one of those and lose weight"

Of course, the other day she told me I needed to stop teaching aerobics and get a real job.

Maybe this also belongs in the PFF Kids thread

10. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    One wonders what is a "real" job?

-D-

11. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I am currently reading the South Beach Diet book. My sister went from a size 12 back to her normal size 6. It isn't like the Atkins other than in the beginning. After that you get to ad back Good Carbs and Good Fat!

So excited...so next payday I am going to whole foods to get all the foods I will need for my first two weeks!

Oh boy, skinny Sistine is coming back!

12. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    At this point, I just want healthy Kristie to come back. [face_plain] The one that can take a deep breath without hacking her lungs out.

oh, and I'm reading Dr. Phil's book right now too. ;) It's actually pretty good. Next step, getting my butt back to the gym...

13. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    I'm just waiting to get water in our pool so I can get back in a pool and exercise. I haven't been in the water since early December :(

14. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    butt back to the gym...

What about the rest if you? [face_devil]
    .... kidding! My college doesn't have a Gym...pout pout...so I am going back to the horse poo flinging workout on the weekends!

15. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Day 2:

Yesterday was also a good day. I did not cheat and I drank only water. I didn't get 64oz of water in me put I was close enough. I missed my last meal of the day so that was not so good and I didn't get a chance to workout because I was at a Real Estate meeting. I also was unable to wake up early so no cardio. I am planning on going to the gym tonight to get back on schedule.

Day 3 (so far):

Again, did not wake up early to go to the gym. I hope that by Monday, I will have enough energy to wake up in the morning early enough to have breakfast and go to the gym for cardio. Meal-wise, today I have skipped a few meals but got them back on track. One thing I realized this morning, is that I am eating to lose fat and not maintain a lifestyle. I think I may need to read Dr. Phil book in order to do that. Maybe after the third month, I will do that. Today at the gym is Back and Biceps.

Pictures of me at the "before" stage will be forthcoming, although I must warn you, they are not pretty.

16. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Dr. Phil - have you ever seen a fat coyote?

One of his "things" is eat to live not eat for pleasure.

Also, I just read an article and darned if I know where it is but it talked about afternoons are a better time to exercise. Personally, I really don't think it matters when you exercise just as long as you do it. (Shut up, Jada and take your own advice!) 8-}

17. Ima_princess

Ima_princess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2003
    Okay, I just saw this and I am waaaaaay in. That Body for Life book is really a great way to go. I lost a lot of weight when in China by following the diet and exercise program in that book. Then I come back to the US and all the fast food and BAM! Ass Woman was born (do not mock the cellulite of justice!). I have until March 19th 2005 to get rid of about 70 pounds and the Super Seamstress will have a huge job fixing all of Ass Woman's clothes. Any help? or suggestions?

18. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    do not mock the cellulite of justice

you have SO got to make that part of your sig line! [face_laugh] ;)

19. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Here's my *secret to success And it's great for anyone trying to lose weight, since the same principles apply to everyone in regards to the way food is processed by the human body. I am currently suffering from a relapse of my condition, but after my visit to the doctor's tomorrow (HOORAY FOR INSURANCE AGAIN!) I should be back on track for looking more human shaped by my sister's wedding :)

*It's the first book on this page - the link to the actual book wouldn't show :p

20. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    What was the title of that book? I clicked the link and it told me I had browser issues. Now, I know that I have many issues, but I dodn't think that browser was one of them. I think window shopping is great and a sales clerk shouldn't have any problem if you tell them that you are just browsing. Jeez, now the internet is having issues too? Next thing you know people will start complaining about how there is too much violets on TV. Personally I think that the violet is a nice flower. On a serious note, had a hamburger for lunch today. Boo, I know, but NO SODA! I said no the the mighty temptation of the Dr. Pepper. My nemisis has met it's match in the Plus Sized Pants of Truth!

21. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Dig the sig! :D

I'm still dealing with a very upset tummy. I've had a lot of sinus headaches and I think the sudaphed and advil are causing my tummy to be sad. :(

22. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Day 3 (recap):

I did really well yesterday as well. I went to work out after work. When I got home after the gym, I had myself and egg and cheese omelette. I was not even tempted to eat the cookies or drink the soda still left in my house. I also got the opportunity to prepare some meals for the rest of the week. Hard-boiled eggs and some Tuna, corn with mayo. Tonight will be a little difficult to workout again due to the ROTK movie but I will be ok. Looking forward to a "free day."

Edit:

I've decided to use BFLtracker.com to post my pics and data on weight loss. I don't know of a direct way to access my profile so you might need to used the search member profile and type, "mexchewy."

Edit #2:
    If you are a bit nervous about taking a before picture, maybe you can create one with Virtual Model.

23. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    Chewie,
    That virtual model thingy is really COOL! I got to look at me now and what I will llok like a year from now. AWESOME! I will be so hot. This is a GREAT was to keep track and keep the motovation up. I know that I can't see weight loss in the mirror because it's me, but the computer doesn't lie. Thank you.

24. Moka

Moka Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I have noticed a lot of these weight loss support or weight loss contest threads in various boards.

Is it an epidemic that nerds and geeks seem to all be overweight? We must fight back against nerd and geek obesity!

I move to form the NGDADAOCAF

Nerds
    Geeks
    Dorks
    And
    Dweebs
    Against
    Obesity
    Chubbiness
    And
    Fatness

Do I hear a second on that motion?

25. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    I wouldn't necessarily say that I am fat, pleasantly plump or I have been called a plus sized Barbie before, but not truly fat. Can we add pleasantly plump to that list?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.