main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Weight Loss Support Group

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Sistine, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Do I hear a second on the motion?

[face_laugh]

Actually, I think it's a symptom of current North American fast-food sit-on-our-asses-all-day culture. :D And most of us here certainly qualify in *that* group.

I second the motion... right after "pleasantly plump" is added to the list. ;)

2. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I move to form the NGDADAOCPPAF

Nerds
    Geeks
    Dorks
    And
    Dweebs
    Against
    Obesity
    Chubbiness
    Pleasantly Plumpness
    And
    Fatness

All hail the NGDADAOCPPAF! :D

EDIT: CHEWIE IS WAY MORE THAN 30% COOL! THAT SITE ROCKS! AND SO DO YOU!! :D

3. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I like your thinking Princess...how about 'Curvy'!

I have to drop 20 pound by Con for a wedding the following weekend. Yikes...I figure my new position as Warehouse manager will get me out from behind this desk and working with my horse will do me good as well.

Finishing up my book and buying grocerioes next payday...in the meantime I am trying to ignore the call of the fudge in the fridge... SHUTUP!

4. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Day 4:

Yesterday was a moderate success for me on the nutrition front. Due to the LOTR viewing I was unable to workout that night since I got home at 11:30pm. My gym closes at 11pm so no workout yesterday. I still have to work on my morning routine. Nutrition-wise, I did ok but not great. I had some tuna and bread, unfortunately it was enriched wheat bread and not whole wheat. Since I had to eat every 2-3 hours for optimal fat loss and I was at Harkins, I eat a hot dog and a diet pepsi. I didn't do good on that end but I wouldn't beat myself up for it. Just brush myself off and get back on track. I thought about eating the chicken fingers at the teatre but I wanted to make it back to my seat in time to win some prizes from Toy Anxiety. While I didn't win the anniversary storm trooper, I did win a TA shirt.

5. Ima_princess

Ima_princess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2003
    Congrats on the T-Shirt Chewy, and on your attitude. You rock!

Does anyone know a couple of good breakfast recipies that are quick and easy that don't require yogurt or cottage cheese (icky)? I have to be at work at 6am and that is waay to early for weight loss comprehension and that McDonalds is just so convieniently on the way. HEEEEEELP!

6. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Princess, alot of times I will drink a protein shake. I get the spirutein brand from Wild Oats down here in Tucson. The cookies and creme is yummy. they say don't put it in the blender but from experience, if you put it in the blend it comes out thick, rich and creamy.

I also use the Balance Bar Plus which you can get cheap at Sams or Costco.

Another quick one but not so yummy is hard boiled eggs. Easy to make ahead but you have to like them.

Instant Oatmeal is good too.

I'm not doing so great these past two days with it [face_sad]

7. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    I like hard boiled eggs, but it is just that I am a girl that likes her breakfast and need something substantial. I can skimp on the rest of the meals for the day, but I gots to have me breakfast. I think that I am a lost cause here, but I'm tryin'.

8. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    OK, I'm not up on them but you might want to see if Healthy Choice or the other manufacturer's have any breakfast choices. Just keep an eye on the sodium.

Another thing I do is whip up cheesy eggs - take one egg, cheese and 1 "pat" of butter (melted in pan) and scramble. I eat this with a slice of toast. I prefer butter to margarine. A good book to read about necessary fats is the Schwartzbein Principle.

AND DON'T BELIEVE THE CARP OUT THERE ARE CARBS BEING EVIL!!! BY GOD YOU NEED HEALTHY CARBS IN ORDER TO FUNCTION!!!

I'll try to remember to bring up this really good article I have abuot a chef who lost all this weight and the things she did.

NOTE TO ALL WEIGHT MANAGEMENT PEOPLE!!!

In order to lose weight and keep hydrated you should drink 1/2 your weight in ounces of water everyday. In fact EVERYONE should do this especially in Arizona.

So, let's see the math on this

Person X weighs 200 pounds. This means they should drink 100 ounces of water everyday or 12.5 eight ounce glasses of water.

Jada's tip to doing this.

1) Figure out how much water YOU should drink a day

2) Get a container to hold that water (not to drink out of, just to hold it)

3) Figure out how many hours a day you will be likely to drink water.

4) Then calculate how much water you need to drink each hour.

5) So, in example, Person X needs to drink 100 ounces or 12.5 glasses of water a day. Person X figures out that they are awake about 16 hours a day. They don't want to drink too much water before bed. So, after the 14 hour, maybe 4 ounces of water. That leaves 14 hours to drink 100 ounces of water. That is 7.1 ounces an hour.

If you mark the container by hour, you will know exactly where you are as far as consumption goes.

Benefits of drinking water?

• Speeds wastes and toxins out of body

• keeps hydration levels

• helps keep skin healthy

I know there are more benefits but for my test I only had to memorize 3 and those were they!!!

Great, ok, lecture over, go home, nothing left to see, move along, move along.

9. Sockme

Sockme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2003
    ^^Is she insane? Drink all that water? I'd be in a permanent port-o-potty! [face_shocked]

10. mrbunny666

mrbunny666 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2002
    Before moving from NJ, My former roommate Joe & his fiancee Phyllis were on the Adkins diet.
    She had to stop doing it because she paid more for the 3 dress re-sizes than for the dress itself.

About a year ago, my borther, sister-in-law & nephew were going to be in vegas. Sister-in-law's brother was renewing his vows.
    But Joe & Phyllis are good friends with both couples and were comming to vegas also.

When I saw both Joe & Phyllis there, I barely recognized them both!

The low carb/no carb diet does work.
    But I know from other people who have made serious efforts to stay on it, that it dosen't work for everyone.
    And most/all of the 1st lost weight is water weight.

Just my 2 cents for actual testimonials.

11. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Actually, Bunny, low carb/no carb diets are medically dangerous. It puts your body into ketosis, which shocks your body into digging into it's own fat and muscle stores for energy. While the first and most noticeable result is losing weight, your blood's ability to carry oxygen is severly decreased if you stay in that state for a long time. This leads to your brain being deprived of oxygen, and thus eventual brain damage. Not good.

There are people who have been doing Atkins for far too long, and don't know why they keep getting dizzy and/or blacking out at times. This is why. This has been buried by the weight loss industry because it's considered a "quick fix" and Atkins is well on his way to aquiring Bill Gates status in his industry. Why ruin a good money maker with facts?

Aside from the scary truth, what has the person who does the Atkins diet learned? Nothing. They still overindulge on the wrong foods, deprive their bodies of essential nutrition, and maintain the mentality that there's a "magic pill" to good health.

All the way around, Atkins and the low carb/no carb fad is one that we'll look back on in 10 or 20 years and go "Were people insane?" Just not good.

Just say no to Atkins. ;)

12. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Atkins is well on his way to aquiring Bill Gates status in his industry

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Atkins died when he slipped on the ice, hit his head and had an anurism?

Hm, well, there is one reason to check off on the list of questions my doctor is going to ask me when I tell her I'm dizzy and have vertigo -- No, I'm not doing Atkins!

I just read an article about Atkins today that says they are updating it to warn people NOT to go wild on red meats and cheese but to look for healthy ways to get their protein.

I wonder, what would it be like if we went on the children of Israel wandering in the desert eating management program -- manna and quail :confused:

13. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    You know, I'm not convinced that the Atkins is as bad as people say and here's why.

1) Atkins himself was a doctor and his ideas seem to have a basis in medical research and experience.

2) For every piece of evidence Atkins critics find saying "Low carbs is bad" "ketosis is bad" Atkins proponents produce just as many sources saying that there are no harmful effects. Not to imply that one is right and one is wrong, just that medical science doesn't seem to have all of its facts straight yet.

3) The main criticism to the Atkins plan seems to be that the body can't support itself on almost no carbohydrates. Well, that's only the first phase of the Atkins plan and is meant to be short term anyway. Once that phase is over carbohydrate intake is supposed to be increased. Sure, if someone restricts their carb intake (or anything, really) too much for too long they're bound to have problems.

I'm not trying to imply that I'm a nutritional expert or that Dr. Atkins can do no wrong, just that something is not adding up here.

I think you're exactly right about one thing, your Highness: that popular opinion seems to be that the Atkins plan is a panacea, a quick fix that will get a person in shape by next weekend. But there is no "magic pill". A healthy lifestyle is a lifelong commitment. (One I'm still working on, by the way. :p )

14. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    NEW RULE TO THIS THREAD!!! NO SKINNY PEOPLE ALLOWED!!! 8-}

Actually, as for doctors being qualified to write books, anyone can write a book. I could write a book about the all manwich diet and get it published and blah . . . blah.

Many, not all, but many doctors only have a brief encounter with nutrition in their schooling. The people who have the real background are the registered dieticians or R.D.s.

However, I do think there are some sound books out there. I've read the Schwartzbein Principle which is a book written primarily for diabetics but she has a lot of sound principles. (Although I don't agree with everything she says).

I think each individual person needs to find a healthy eating management plan for themselves. Healthy eating with exercise never hurt anyone . . . ok, I'm sure there is someone out there that got hurt but we're not talking about cow activist now are we. 8-}

15. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    IA is pretty much right on the money when it comes to the Atkins stuff. Ketosis is only required for the begining of the plan, but he ketosis state is what you are supposed to stay in until you loose the weight you want and that can be a little dangerous. Not dangerous because of the diet but dangerous becuase of STUPID people that think, "oh, just a little more weight," and "well, if I stay like this then I'll loose even MORE weight and look like Tyra banks!" Yup, greeeeeaaaaaat idea. Stupid people, they should wear signs, then booksellers wouldn't sell them the diet book.

16. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    I just had a thought,instead of getting jiggy with all these big contriversial diets wouldnt it be easier just to count calories and lay off fatty foods? thats the approach i am taking.

17. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Too easy, IB, too easy.

18. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    Now really IB, that waould not only be too easy, but not hip. You KNOW that when we are old, all of the hip/cool/stylin people are going to be the ones with kidney failure, not from drugs or the environment, but from Atkins. Thats a badge of honor man. I wish that I was cool. (sarcastic I am, a lier I'm not). =)

19. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I had to go on Atkins because of hypoglycemia. If done properly it is by NO means a fast way to loose weight. I lost about 30-40 lbs in two years. But I had more energy and was hardly ever hungry. And went from a 34" waist to less than 28"

The real trick is to make sure there is enough fiber being eaten. Very important.
    I made my own version of the diet and now it's in the new book "for life" or something. I just worked my way up to 100g of carbs a day, no more than 20 at a meal. Man did I miss chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravey and corn. mmmmmm yummy.

-D-

p.s. most of the things that Atkins says to cut out are man made and/or refined (like sugar and flour) and I don't think our bodies are supposed to have those.

20. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    OK, I'm trying to drink as much water as Jada told me to and let me say, almost every hour, ON THE HOUR I have had to have a potty break. This SUCKS! Isn't there such a thing as too much water? Whinewhinewhine

21. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i know. i once was told that i should be drinking over a gallon a day. it was way too much.

22. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Believe it or not, there have been cases of people drinking too much water. It's rare but not unheard of.

Princess - I know that it is hard to drink that much water but it really helps with weight lose and keeping you hydrated. It flushes toxins out of the system and helps remove "waste" (I'll just leave that there).

I agree with the "man-made" food thing. As much as I like things like refined sugar, I know there are things much better for me.

Did you know that you should be getting at least 2 1/2 cups of vegetables a day???

23. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    "they" say eight 8 oz glasses of water a day.
    That's 64 oz. That's half a gallon. That's still a lot of drinking. That's a lot of bathroom breaks.

And in the desert summer you should drink more to make up for the sweat loss.

Read in an article once that many times thirst is mistaken for hunger. So before you snack, have a glass of liquid life.

-D-
    help, i'm floating away.
    and can't remember math, who needs it anyway?

24. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Hiccups can be a sign of dehydration.

25. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    Well, I understand the flushing of toxins and stuff, I just hate leaving my desk to flush something else...if you know what I mean. I think that I am going with the gallon a day theory. That is waaaaay easier and I >have< been yelled at by my doc for being dehydrated. Actually, my doc kinda looks like a takk yoda except not green and a flatter noggin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.