main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Weight Loss Support Group

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Sistine, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    To be blunt i think the water drinking formula is off. According to that i would have to drink 150 ounces in a day. I pulled this off of webmd:
    How much water should I drink on an average day?

At least eight eight-ounce glasses of water a day for all adults, most of whom lose about two to three quarts of water every day. Athletes, people who live or work in hot environments, and people who perspire heavily lose more water and need to drink even more to keep up with the loss.

Yet many people are walking around mildly dehydrated simply because thirst is a poor indicator of fluid needs, especially as they age. Mild dehydration can decrease one's energy level and mental functioning and increase stress on the body.

The three rules of thumb when it comes to water are:

Drink twice as much as it takes to quench your thirst.
    Drink frequently throughout the day to prevent dehydration.

Drink at least eight glasses daily or one cup for every 20 pounds of body weight. For example, a 150-pound person who does not exercise or work in hot climates needs 7.5 cups.

You can count fruit juices and bottled water in your tally. However, beverages such as coffee or alcohol have a mild diuretic effect, which promotes urination and therefore water loss. Green tea is another way to add fluids, and this beverage is chock-full of phytonutrients that may help lower your risk of developing cancer.

One way to ensure you have those eight glasses each day is to fill a pitcher with your allotment of water and keep it on your desk at work or on the kitchen table at home. You also can fill eight glasses and place them in a convenient spot out of the way, such as on the kitchen counter or dining room table. Your goal is then clearly marked, and that goal is reached when the pitcher or glasses are empty.

If you are a student, make it a point to take 10 large gulps of water every time you pass a water fountain at school. The best indicator that you're drinking enough water is when your urine is pale yellow to clear. A dark yellow color is a sign your body is dehydrated and is concentrating the urine in an effort to conserve water.

I also have another concern with drink that much water.In my IV portion of my class we are taught a whole bunch of way to hydrate a patient, but the key we are taught is "water follows electrolytes" ,self explanatory.So if we drink a ton of water our body will want to dump the rest off and how it does that is by dumping our electrolytes.Not only will that make us feel weak but it posses a real health problem.The heart is run off of a sodium-potassium pump.If we pee off our electrolytes (hypokalemia) we will mess with our heart.It is seen alot in transient population due to poor diet and from the diuretic function of alchol.there have been plenty of ppl who have died because of this.

I will stick to the 64 oz. a day.

Any who, this here by starts off my "weight loss challenge"

Current Weight 300 lbs.

Target Weight 215-200 lbs.

Current BMI 39.5

Target BMI 26.3

2. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Drinking water is good for you, but I'm not sure that much is really necessary.

From Dartmouth Medical School: "Drink at Least 8 Glasses of Water a Day" - Really?

I have heard anecdotal evidence suggesting that drinking cold water helps you lose weight or at least burns more calories, possibly because it cools your body, which must then expend energy to warm up again. I haven't seen any medical evidence to back that up.

3. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    That's 64 oz. That's a gallon

thats actually half a gallon. 2 quarts.

4. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    You are sooo right. I was sooo wrong. [face_blush]

-D-
    Don't mind me, I'm just silly

5. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    totally cool. i just took some cooking classes and they drilled diff volumes and stuff into us.

6. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I now know how many tablespoons are in 1/4 c.
    Kinda important for making coffee at work.
    I alway like it when something calls for 3 tsp. because 1 tbsp would just be too easy.

-D-

7. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Glad to see some good discussions happening here.

Day 5,6,7,8 (recap)

I had a pretty bad weekend. Friday wasn't as bad as I had some soda, a piece of peacan pie and a recess peanut butter cup. Saturday, I maintain the small meals routine until the night where I ate an entire pizza (in about 3-4hours time). Sunday started well but toward the middle of the day I ate some Mexican food and at night I ate some of the new almond snickers with a 32oz pepsi. Monday, I ate some Whatttaburger and McDonalds at night. Wow, I did horribly this weekend, yet....

A couple things I'm proud of; Friday and Saturday I ate well until nightime and I lost 2lbs.

This morning, I was able to get up early and go to the gym to do some Cardio. I did 30min of the elyptical trainer. I need to bump it up to 45 but I will do it slowly.

I realize one other thing about my nutrition, on unstructered days, I do bad. Work, the structure of it, makes me stick to my nutrition. The weekends are tough for me. I guess that's just another thing I have to work on.

Eating some healthy tuna now and as soon as work lets up, I'm off to the gym.

BTW, remember, technically a calorie of cake is not the same as a calorie of brown rice.

8. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Go, chewie! Go chewie! Go chewie!

Actually, there is a good book called "Ultimate Fitness" and while it is not the most scientific book out there, it does point to the fact that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. It's just what it does for your body.

IA, you skinny person! I havent had time to check out the link but I will. Dartmoth --- hippies (I actually almost went there for college).

9. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    If some eats 3000 calories worth of processed grains or sugars, they will remain fat despite exercise.

If someone eats 3000 calories of vegetables, they are more inclined to lose fat.

A calorie is not always a calorie.

10. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    what you need to look out for is calories from carbs,fat and processed foods.

11. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    I just got off the phone after a long chat with my sister. She was telling me that Harvard Public Health Department has come up with a new Food Pyramid that is being adopted by alot of organizations (including her affliation - Midwifery). I read briefly and it sounds like some of the stuff I've been reading over the past year.

Harvard Food Pyramid

They show the old pyramid first so keep going down the page.

And I still say that chocolate comes from a bean and therefore is a source of protein!!! 8-}

12. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Thank you for sharing!

13. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    I have a question and probably a dumb one. A few posts back someone mentioned that cutting back on red meat would help. Is pork considered red meat? It is ofter labeled "the other white meat".

I know it is dumb but just curious. I'm trying to keep a high protien and low/moderate carb diet going. I love my steak but also enjoy pork. I could forgo the beef if pork is still ok.

14. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Pork IS considered a red meat, but it's not nearly as hard on your body as beef. Beef stays in the system for 3-4 days. Pork... well, doesn't. I *think* (and I was wrong a few posts up, so I could be again) that the distinguishing factor between red and white meat is whether it comes from a mammal or a bird. (Don't ask me about kangaroos :p )

15. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    I have no idea about pork. I do know that in it allowed in the Schwarzbein Principle.

Sistine! How you doin' :cool:

16. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    How am I doing?
    Well I recently got a 'promotion' a work to Warehouse Supervisor which mean I am going to be a lot more active...YEAH!

I am going to Julian this weekend to buy my eggs and get a couple of things since Monday the 26th starts my 'new' life. I am tired of eating junk..when I do I feel like junk! I noticed that when I cut out the processed crap I had more energy and slept better at night...so here we go!

Goal: Size 10 by May!
    Currently a 13 so not that bad!

17. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Size 13 . . . I haven't seen that number in a long time :(

But when I was a size 16, most people thought I was a 12! :)

Miss ya, Sis! Congrats on the promotion :D

18. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Day 9:

Yesterday was a great day all around for my diet and my exercise.

I woke up early and went to the gym. Despite the fact that I wanted to sleep in, I kept telling myself, "I need to go to the gym." I got out of bed and did 30min of eliptical training.

I was back on my nutrition guidelines, with no hangup or relapses to junk food.

I also went back to the gym after work and really "blasted" my legs. I did some squats, lunges(these were killers) and lying leg curls. Maybe i'll switch to deadlifts. My legs were wobbily last night and are sore today.

19. Ima_princess

Ima_princess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2003
    Okay, so I looked at that food pyramid and it is a little confusing for me. I liked the old one where there were no half pyramids etc. Oh well, and the health revolution goes on.

Props for Chewie on sticking to it. I was really really bad yesterday and had a muffin (a BIG costco muffin, the chocolate kind) and some pizza. Oh well, as Scarlett says "Tomorrah is anothuh day."

20. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Congrats, Chewie. Keep up the good work.

21. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Princess, instead of thinking of pizza as bad, add a salad to it and some veggies on the pizza and that's a decent meal.

22. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    Problem is that I like all the bad stuff on the pizza, like ALL the meat products but I did stop ordering extra cheese!

23. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Day 10:

Yesterday was also a good day. While I did not get up early to go workout, I went to the gym at night and did 35 minutes on the eliptical bike. (Sidenote: A pretty young women was on the trainer next to me, I was going to talk to her as soon as I finished but she left before I could say anything.)

Nutrition-I need to plan my meals better. I use to spend Sunday before work getting my meals ready. I have not been doing that, so my diet has suffered a bit. I did not binge even though I was at Greenbacks and saw the chocolate on sale. I did eat a grilled chicken sandwich at Wendys and a Diet Coke but I ordered and extra hamburger. I wanted to toss the buns to have the burger Atkins-style but I didn't. Bad MC.

Right before I went to sleep, I slipped into the cd player the hypnosis cd I bought. I did not realize it has a morning, work and bedtime component. I listned to the bedtime one last night. I am confident it will help me. That's all for today. See you next time.

24. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    WooHoo!!!!

I finally cracked the 220 barrier. Ok so it is only 219. Only about 5 - 10 to go to get to my ideal weight.

Cool thing is that around Thanksgiving I was pushing 230 and kinda got off my workout routine. Holidays, stress, work and preparing to move, helping Deicide move and then actually moving myself. Somehow without doing many gym visits I lost the weight. I'm now back on my 3-4 times a week routine (kinda..only twice this week. But I'm playing in a flag football tournament on Sat so that kinda counts as a third). Just kinda proves that if you stay busy you can lose weight without going to a formal gym.

I still prefer the gym. At least there is something to look at. ;)

25. Ima_princess

Jul 5, 2003
    Heya Chewie,
    What kind of hypnosis tape did you get? Is it helping?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.