main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Weight Loss Support Group

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Sistine, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    That six pack comment cracked me up. :D
    Not so good since I'm sitting in my cube, prenteding to work.
    The guy next to me is probably wondering "What's so funny about that drainage map?"

Congrats Jada!
    I, myself, am down 13 lbs.

-D-

2. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    My wife and I are rejoining Pure fitness this weekend. I am also going back to my low carb diet. I really let myself go last year. There is nothing to do in Abilene Texas except eat and drink and I don't drink. I was down to 34 waist (started at a tight 38). I don't weigh myself so how my clothes fit is how I judge my progress.

3. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Well, my pants are falling off of me!!!!!

I feel really good (although my emotions are still swinging out of control but that has nothing to do with diet). People who hadn't seen me in a few weeks really noticed the difference.

So, I treated myself to a massage as a reward. Very low in calories! ;)

4. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    Good Luck Quigon!!
    Woohoo, go Jada!

5. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Paraphrase:
    "The kingdom of God is like a man who put a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts in a cupboard.
    When he threw a party, his best friend found the box.
    Putting his beer down, he took the box, ate and was joyful."

Love the sig!! :D

6. Ima_princess

Ima_princess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2003
    YAAAAAAAAAY Jada! At least you aren't falling into the trap that I fall into - emotional eating. Whenever I have an issue that is a little much for me to handle, I eat. . .a lot. Trying to stop it, but it is hard when you have been doing it for hindreds of years.

PS-Jada, you might have Superseamstress take a look at your pants. If she can fix Ass Woman's Plus Sized Pance of Truth when the Cellulite of Justice busts out of them, then I think she can fix Rapidly Shrinking Woman's Pants of Good Self Esteem!

7. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
  8. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    :(I ate 2 mini candy bars last night. I feel so guilty! :_|

9. Anwelei

Aug 26, 2001
    2 mini candy bars? Be proud it was only 2 mini, Jada! That's awesome. you didn't even eat a whole on!!

I eat a whole Cadbury one once a week. Stupid things are too annoyingly delicious to not eat over here. blah

10. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    I know that saying this is pure evil but I used to temp for Cadbury on a regular basis. Excellent company with obvious perks! [face_laugh]

11. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    [face_laugh] Sorry for the "poop-talk" but I just thought you all should know. [face_laugh] The six pack comment had me rolling and thanks IA! ;)

12. Anwelei

Aug 26, 2001
    Jada, as a matter of fact, that is EVIL!!!

13. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
  14. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    Bow down and worship the dieting goddess that I am. I just sent 2 packages of Girl Scout cookies packing from my house and to the good neighbor.

I am dieter hear me roar!

15. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    Princess: I tend to sleep a lot when things are going awry. Just as bad. Sloth can be just as damaging as Glutony.

On a more related note. I just started taking a new protien shake called ProRated. I have a friend who works in distribution for them. So my first can was free...yeah. I guess I've extended myself past weight loss and into (hopefully) muscle building. I dont workout enough to get HUGE but a little shape on my scrawny arms and chest would be a nice start. Already seeing some gains from my gym visits. Maybe this shake and its nutrients will give me an added push.

Still hovering around 220. Not bad since I couldnt workout last week due to my injury [face_blush]

16. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    I HAVE THE BEST FRAGGIN' NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have lost 15 lbs and I weigh less than I did at my lowest weight last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

17. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Way to go Jada! I know you can do it.

I am going to start over my diet and exercise program. So today is day 1 for me again. Let's see if I can do better this time around. I lost some inches and some weight and I don't think I did too bad in exercising but I need to restart to get my diet off right. This morning I had three eggs and 2 corn tortillas. For a snack, I had some yogurt. Lunch will be Turkey Kielbasa and snack will be Hard boiled eggs.

18. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    chewie,

there is nothing like a restart. fresh perspective, fresh priorities. I believe in your ability to stick to this, Chewie.

:D Jada

19. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Hoody Hoo Jada...You looked mighty fine at the wedding

Me, well I keep wanting to start my diet but things keep coming up. My new job has me on my feet for almost 6 hours a day working physically...this is how I went from 175 to 145 when I got back from Ireland. Hope it works again.

For food I am just trying to cut out the sugars...but those chocolate covered strawberries at the wedding just couldn't be walked away from...

20. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    WooHoo!

OK, I don't put complete stock in Body fat comp. tests but I had mine done yesterday and I'm down 2.5% in body fat! :D

I'm going to lift weights today. I want to increase my muscle mass some more so than my metabolism goes up and I'm able to burn more fat even at rest.

Burn baby burn! :D

21. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    Congrats to everyone for sticking with it AND starting anew. Both are very important. One of the biggest things I needed to realize when I began working out after baby #1 was that I was only a failure if I told myself I was. I soon learned that if those little mistakes, or the occassional chocolate covered strawberry, happened it was ok as long as I didn't let it get me down or make me convince myself that I should quit. Just keep on moving...that's what you need to do. Don't let discouragement rule your emotions and tell you that you can't when you really know that you can. When I learned these things I was able to loose 40 pounds in 10 months. Being pregnant, in school, and sick didn't allow me to exercise much while pregnant this time, but I intend to begin working out again as soon as possible.

The second thing I had to realize was that not only did loosing weight mean not allowing myself to get discouraged, but it meant I had to change. Change my attitude about myself and my attitude toward eating and exercising. I also had to stop believing in that myth called rapid weight loss as a healthy alternative. The most you should loose is a pound or two a week which can look very discouraging on the scale. Rapid weight loss is unhealthy AND it doesn't stick. Slow and steady wins the race. More people keep their weight off permanently if they loose it slowly and consistently. The reason for this is explained by a nutrition theory I learned first hand from one of the best nutritionists in the country, Dr. Lee. She has her PhD in nutrition and is a college professor who bases her curriculum in nutrition on chemistry and research.

She explained to us that our bodies not only strive for equilibrium, they often will do anything to maintain a set point. This is an easy concept to accept because it is not new to science. It is the same idea that is taught in biology when you talk about homeostasis in such body functions as respiration, circulation, body temperature, electrolyte balance, etc.

What this means is that whatever your equilibrium or set point is today, no matter how heavy you are, your body will strive to maintain it. In other words, if you loose a lot of weight rapidly and then stop exercising and eating well, your body will do anything to get back to it's set point. If you loose it slowly, you trick your body into accepting a new set point. It takes an average of six months to completely reset your set point. This means that to reach a weight loss goal you can't just quit when you get there, you have to keep working out a minimum of six months to permanently reset your set point metabolism to that weight.

So for example, if you weigh 200 lbs to start and loose 50 pounds over the course of a year, you won't reset your body's set point for weight to 150 pounds until you maintain it for another six months.

This is why most people are successful at weight loss when they realize that a healthy diet and exercise are not a temporary thing that can be stopped when you like what you weigh, but a life-time change that must continue for the rest of their lives.

This does not mean that you can't splurge on occassion, what it means is that you need to realize a ten things that will help you more than anything else:

1. You only fail if you tell yourself you do.

2. Never, NEVER, NEVER give up. Take responsibility without pounding yourself with guilt and get up the next day and try again. And the day after that, and the day after that...

3. This isn't a temporary thing, it is something that needs to change permanently.

4. Weight loss doesn't and shouldn't have to be rapid to be successful.

5. Weight loss takes time and lots of it.

6. It is ok to have a dessert, just not every day, every meal...just a taste is often enought to satisfy you if you think about it.

7. Focus on what you can have not what you can't.

8. Reward yourself for your successes, but not with food. Treat yourself to something more permanent like a new movie, new clothes or a trip.

9. Try

22. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Congrats to everybody on their successes!

I have lost another 8 lbs and down to a resonable weight (135). But I need to tone badly. Just been distracted lately and haven't been to the gym. Really need to go. The extra energy sure would pay off. Tired of being tired and all. Sleeping through the alarm is not a good sign.

I've lost quite a bit since the begining of the year, but my pants (the ones I judge from) don't seem to be fitting any looser. However I've got some that I can't keep up anymore.

-D-
    keep up the hard work and positive thoughts.
    None of us are as strong as all of us.

23. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Boy Wenchy you typed an earful but all good advice. Thanks.

24. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Anytime anyone wants to get together to go workout, you can call me (or PM me.) Of course, Tucson will be a little difficult to do but maybe something can be scheduled for the future, Jada. Let's do it!

25. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    PFF in the Healthclub . . . I see a new thread! 8-}

OK, 17 lbs and my underwear is falling off! [face_shocked]

TMI! TMI! TMI!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.