Phx Weight Loss Support Group

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Sistine, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    Why does soda have to tase so tummy and water so bland?!?!?!?

I just gave in and had a cherry coke. [face_plain]
  2. Anwelei Jedi Knight

star 3
    Obey!!! NO!!!
    have you tried bottled water?? or really really freaking cold ice water? Tap doesn't taste so bad if it's cold.
  3. MexChewie Jedi Master

star 4
    Try those flavored waters. Little sodium, little calories, no sugar, or fat.

or

Crystal Light.
  4. -Master- Jedi Master

star 4
    can't even be considered for knee replacement until you're at least 40

Why so Zoo? My sister had her first knee replacement at 22.

5. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    I'm going to try and get some Crystal Light. Old habits die hard. Soda addictions die harder. [face_plain]
  6. -Master- Jedi Master

star 4
    I know what you mean. I love a good coke.

Should we have a daily or weekly report on our progress?
  7. DarthArdath Jedi Padawan

Hanson's has a line of sodas, if you can get used to the taste, which are pretty good. Sort of like a carbonated Crystal Lite.

As for water, Aquafina has a good taste as far as tasty water goes.

EDIT: Hansen, so sorry.
  8. Anwelei Jedi Knight

star 3
    Good luck, Obey Wann! :)
  9. jupitertronic Jedi Knight

star 3
    my favorite bottled water's dasani. yum.

crushed ice in water makes it taste a lot better for some reason. and water out of a glass rather than a plastic cup seems to taste better too.

i've been walking a ridiculously long way to and from classes at mcc, with literally a 30 pound backpack (well it won't be that heavy anymore but it'll be close), and i've been doing yoga at night. but, you know, only for two days in a row. i think i got a good schedule though... it's so convenient to pop in the tape that even *i* can't think of a reason not to do it. :)

i lost 40 pounds when i was 14. so here's how i did it. went to the gym every day after school (as i recall) and did 20 minutes on the treadmill, 20 or 30 on the bike, and then went in the weight room. i was on 1,200 calories a day (i was living with my grandma at the time, and you'd be amazed all the stuff you can eat if you figure out your menu right; i used to get really full). for a long time i actually lost a pound a day. then everyone freaked out and said i shouldn't be losing that much. ;p so we added some more calories or something, i can't remember.

but anyway, i found out later, if you're an hourglass figure like me, you're supposed to do high repetitions of exercises and NO weight lifting. cause it makes you bulk up even if it's just like 5 pound weights.

i lost 20 pounds when i moved to arizona from colorado, and i think it was almost entirely because of all the water i was drinking. water is your FRIEND. and a little bird told me you can lose weight even if you're just going, you know... #1. hehe. so water rules.

one more tip that seems to work for a lot of people is when you want a snack, drink a big glass of water and wait like 20 minutes first. a lot of times you won't be hungry anymore.

okay, so, my current status is (bad):

178 - 186 lbs (i fluctuate a bunch)

according to BMI calculators, and guessing from how i looked at 135, my goal weight range is like 117 to 127 lbs, i think. the thinner the better for me. the smallest i've been since i was a little kid is a size 9, and that was after losing the 40 lbs.

good luck to everyone! :D hope we all do well. :)
  10. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    I feel like a behemoth next to everyone else. [face_blush] The last time I was 165 at this height, I was going through Chemo. And I looked like death warmed over on toast.

I'm only wanting to get back to 200lbs. I've been large for long enough that I will never get back down to 185 (thinnest healthy weight at this height). I guess I am just a big person [face_plain]
  11. arizonasithlord Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey Jup I think I got you beat.
    All through Jr High and up till my junior year at high school I was overweight like by 20-40lbs depending. Mind you I marched in the band the entire time. Then my junior year I bulked up to 220lbs and being 5'6" at the time that?s rather chunky. So September rolls around and school started, we were out after school every evening for 2 hours of practicing. We had to do Weigh-ins and sizing for our new uniforms (that?s how I found out my weight) size 44waist 28length.
    Super weight!! Anyway by my birthday in October I weighed 145lbs and was 5'8". How you ask? I'm really not sure but I think between that last growth spurt and some massive stress (breaking up with my first girlfriend to my best friend) I was healthy the entire time no down time for being sick, etc. it was quite liberating. Especially for everyone after I got back from Xmas break nobody recognize me (due to the skin actually stretching back by then.) anyway I went to basic training that summer between junior and senior years (woot army boot!) and went from the 145 slightly trim to 145 beefcake.
    (If you don?t believe me I got pictures)
    I had a long fight during basic with my drill Sgt to keep off the weight gain program
    , It only worked after my mom sent pictures of me from the previous year.
  12. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    -Master- - Forgot to respond about the knee thing. I was told that if I had it now, I would have a short leg by the time I was 50 (they only have a life expectancy of 5-10 years in an active adult), and with my other problems (bad SI joints and 2 thoracic vertebrae that were injured many years ago), even a centimeter difference would cause massive disruption in my back (thereby inflicting possible nerve damage and maybe worse). So, my Ortho won't even consider it yet. And since he's the reason I can walk right now, w/o braces or cane, I trust his judgement implicitly. Also, I've already had the psuedo-replacement, where they put in a bunch of plastic to shore up the joint, had tendons moved around to keep the knee cap in place, muscles cut to lessen the strain on some portions of the joint, and finally screws and glue used to keep everything together. The simple fact that I walk unaided is the product of lots of work and the amazing competency of one man (been my Ortho since I was 16).

Does that explain it?

BTW-How old is your sister now?
  13. Sistine Jedi Master

star 4
    Article info from Prevention:

Pekrul uses a scale to help her identify when it is time to eat.
    The scale goes from 0 (famished) to 10 (completely stuffed).
    The goal is to stay between 3 and 7 at all times: 3 is reasonable hunger and a good time to eat; 7 is comfortably full but not stuffed.

I think this is a good idea...I have a tendency not to eat for the whole day and the gorge myself after that to the bloated stuffed can't move point...oh not good!
  14. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That *is* a good scale to follow. :) I'm the same way - wait to eat all day, and then overdo it BIG in the evening. Yay me, I've already eaten my breakfast today. Kashi Go Lean. k, it's rabbit food, but it's fiber rich good-for-you rabbit food. :) And Jacob doesn't beg for a taste while I'm eating it. :D

Oh, and before I forget, I had an AWESOME workout at karate last night. They had us doing stationary leg lifts. Lemme explain - put a chair in front of you (kitchen chair). Keep your legs straight, and bend over to hold onto the seat. Don't let your legs lean. Now, take one leg at a time and lift it higher than your butt, toes pointed as straight down as you can, and hold for 60 seconds. Repeat on the other side.

This was to help us improve strength with our back-kicks, but talk about BURN!!! Good burn. Bathing-suit-here-I-come burn! YAY!! :D
  15. Sistine Jedi Master

star 4
    Sweet! Good for you...I want to see us all Succeed!!!!

I FINALLY went to the store...Well K-mart and they had food. Bought Low Fat PB and Jelly. Got my skim milk and my Slim Fast.

Morning: I used to drink Carnation Morning Breakfast...but one day I looked at the chart on the side and said...hmmmm I don't take vitamins so I get all my stuff from the Slim Fast shake.

10:00 Snack: Fruit and a smoke [face_devil]

Lunch: PB & J or cold cut sandwich, crackers and fruit.

Afternoon: Fruit or a Veggie

Dinner: Bowl of cereal and fruit.

Now if I can just stick to it!!!
  16. -Master- Jedi Master

star 4
    BTW-How old is your sister now?

My sister is now 32.

The Dr. told her the same deal years ago that a good knee replacement will only last 10-15 years. She did need it though. She had no cartalage left in her knee. It was just bone against bone. OUCH!

17. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    -Master- That's why I have the plastic stuff. I keep hoping that the cartilage regneration therapy will come into general practice. Until insurance will cover it, it's beyond my reach.
  18. Diesel_Dave Jedi Master

star 4
    Eating pancakes and eggs for dinner doesn't help my cause....

I guess it doesn't help when that's what I make for dinner! :eek:

:p

I'm with ya everyone. I'm getting back into hiking. I just need to work my way back up to the more difficult trails.
  19. Sistine Jedi Master

star 4
    DDDDDDAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE

Hey buddy! How you been? If you ever want to come out this way my friends know some kick your butt trails!

My Aunt live 12 miles outside Yosemite...oh boy can't wait to go up there!
  20. jupitertronic Jedi Knight

star 3
    i might cave in and get a personal trainer. :)

we were watching some travel channel thing about the carribbean and they were showing these girls sunbathing who look basically a billion times better than i ever have, and i said a not-nice word about each one they showed. :) and my mom was like, "you could look like that." and i asked how and she's like, "get a personal trainer." like, "duh, didn't you ever consider it before?" fact is, i have. ;p i've just been too cheap in the past. hehe. but for as much as i'm bothered about my appearance, it'd probably be the best thing i can do for myself.

if i can afford it (i haven't looked into price yet), it'll be because generally, if i've heard right, you don't always have to see the trainer *every* day. i could pull off a couple hours a week. and also the lady who cuts my hair of late lives just across a major street from me, and she's also a personal trainer. lucky break, huh? no clue how much she'd cost though. worst comes to worst i could get a parttime job to pay for it.

anyway, i'll try it on my own for a bit more, and if i start coming up with excuses, i'm gonna spend the dang money and just get it over with. :p
  21. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    Alas, DRL has gotten involved, and I have not worked out since Monday. Hopefully tonight/tomorrow AM will be different. :/
  22. harpm1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    So is there any more room on the band wagon? I need to get in shape. I am just not active enough and I feel kind of sluggish a lot. I'm with you guys. I just am not sure where to begin. Think I'll go do laps around the mall tonight, I need to look for some of those Star Wars comics anyway.
  23. Sistine Jedi Master

star 4
    I am seriously wishing that the pool in my complex was heated. Swimming laps is good for my back and my backside...I was thinking about signing up for a physical activity at school this semester...then I have to go or it will destroy my GPA.
  24. Anwelei Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sistine, taking yoga at ASU is how I got into it. Threatening the GPA *does* help, let me tell you! :)I went to every class, even when I was sick and I forced myself to try every move at least once.

And I'm gonna go walk to the grocery store now (15 min each way), so that had better count, especially when I'm gonna be carrying 20 lbs worth of groceries back!
  25. -Master- Jedi Master

star 4
    Jupiter - Definitely look around for different trainers & prices. There is a wide range of prices. Some trainers also do group sessions with 2, 3 or 4 people. If you can get a friend to join up it works great. Plus it helps with motivation to have a friend doing it along with you.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.