Phx Weight Loss Support Group

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Sistine, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. Rhiannon Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yes, definitely look around at the different trainers and their prices. I feel like I paid too much for my guy, but I'm only going to do my 24 sessions and then try it on my own.

I missed my training session yesterday cause I wasn't feeling too hot, but I did eat better. Although I'm still on that breakfast food kick...
  2. Sistine Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well now I have to take some kind of Aerobics... Doctor today said I have Fibromyalgia: disorder characterized by muscle pain, stiffness and easy fatigability. Hey if you can pronounce it... you are a better person than I am. It is sort of like Chronic Fatigue I guess. Phooey!
    I'll show them!

Wench you ever heard of this???

heh heh I said stiffness...
  3. ChoadsGirl Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Sistine, it's pretty much pronounced as it's spelled, the I at the end is silent though. fibro-my-alga. At least that's how I've always heard it pronounced. I'm suprised, you always seem to be full of energy when I see you. But then again, I don't really remember what Fibromyalgia is, I was thinking it was something different.
  4. Commander_Choad Jedi Master

star 4
    That's kind of interesting... or at least a coincidence... Check out [link=http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/viewda.cfm?uc_full_date=20030125&uc_comic=da&uc_daction=X]Dear Abby[/link] for today... the lady that wrote in has the same thing.
  5. aztrooper0013 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    First step:

Move. Not change your residence, but MOVE your body. Walk instead of drive if possible. Excercise, for god's sake. Simple movement will keep your engine burning the fuel.

Speaking of fuel, do eat three large meals a day, eat six small ones. This helps retrain your metabolism to burn at a constant rate, thereby burning the fuel.

It's not so much what you eat, but how much of it your personal engine uses. If you don't run the engine much, then cut down the fuel, of use the engine more often, and keep it burning.

I eat absolute crap and I weigh no more than 160 lbs. because I'm always moving.

Your Metabolism is the key.
  6. PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Well, a few of us RMFFers are going for a little hike today. Couple of hours and romping through the foothills and then it's off to see TTT :D
  7. -Master- Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Started off the week good. Rode for 25 minutes on the bike this morning.

I also talked to a dietition and she told me a great breakfast that doesnt taste too too bad. 3/4 cup of Fiber One or All Bran, 1/4 cup Peanutbutter Caption Crunch and a 1/4 fat free milk. Its supposed to help the body burn calories better plus help you last longer until the next meal. I tried it this morning and it wasnt too bad.
  8. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
    Michael Jordan and I eat Wheaties for breakfast. Or that stuff with the freeze-dried strawberries.
  9. -Master- Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Or that stuff with the freeze-dried strawberries. ?[face_plain]

Thats kinda scary.
  10. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
    Special K Red Berries. Not to get off topic, but there are a ton of cereals out right now that have freeze-dried strawberries. Cheerios makes one now.
  11. PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Jordan's has a couple of good high fiber cereals w/ fruity bits in them. Alas, I cannot eat them, because they contain coconut oil (highly allergic).

The hike went well, and we have another planned for this weekend. And other than the blister I got on one foot (stupid lint balls :mad: ), I'm not feeling too bad.
  12. MexChewie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hi gang! Sorry I haven't posted in the last several days but I have been at a training session. I took food with me so I was not tempted to eat poorly. I did cheat on Thursday and have a piece of bread but I moved on. Been working out hard this last week and tell you all to keep going, you all can do it.
    I agree with Kevin in that movement and getting that metabolism up is the key. "Abs are made in the Kitchen not in the gym." Eat small meals every 2-3 hours to get that metabolism burning.
    Jessica: If you're at MCC, sign up for their gym, I believe that a personal session is included with tuition. Other than that I say save your money and do not buy a personal trainer. If you need him/her for personal motivation, well you have us and you should have your own internal motivation. If you need him/her for training advice well there are plenty of sites on the 'net where you can print up your own routine and take that with you to the gym. The same with diets. Most will give a free session which is good enough if you're interested in learning how to use the machine or weights. Most gym trainers just have a standard routine they give to everyone. The real good ones are usually freelance and pretty expensive. This is my advice, take it for whatever it's worth.

Sistine: Might I suggest you switch to Natural Peanut Butter. It doesn't have the bad fats and preservative of even Fat Free PB. And if you can stand it, have some cottage cheese with your fruit.

Like most, I have a weight problem. I have recently, since 2000, incorporated a good diet with resistance training program to help me lose fat. Up until a year ago, I was doing very well. I got down to 18% BF at 205, which for me was extremely good. I then got lazy and balloned up to 225, my current weight. So take my advice for whatever it's worth.
  13. -Master- Jedi Padawan

star 4
    How is everyone doing?

I have kept up with the cycling. Both morning for 25 minutes.

I am also eating a small dinner plus a snack a little later. I seem to have lost on average about 2 pounds. If I can loose 2 pounds solidly a week that would be good.
  14. PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Aerobic stuff is hard for me, so I do a lot of Isometric routines. Walking & my nieces and nephews are my only aerobic workouts.

A really good seated isometric exercise for anyone is to sit up perfectly straight, w/ your feet planted firmly on the ground, and doa pelvic tilt (bring the front of your pelvis towards your upper abdomen - the other way to explain it is to tuck in your backside). This is called the neutral position. It's really good for anyone who has had any lower back problems as well. And an added benefit, it helps to strengthen not only your accessory muscles for your back, but also your abdominals. Typically you hold it for about 30 seconds, release and repeat. After a while you find yourself sitting in that position all the time.

Hope that helps all the desk jockeys out there :)
  15. jupitertronic Jedi Youngling

star 3
    little update:

i ordered the winsor pilates thing, but it won't be here for 2 - 3 weeks. so until then i'm gonna keep doing what i've been doing: walking around to classes at school w/ backpack weight, and doing my yoga tape every night.

i haven't been eating *really* healthy stuff because it's practically impossible in this household, but i haven't been splurging on horrible stuff, either. currently i'm pretty much doing rice chex and skim milk (i don't touch regular milk... ick) for breakfast, a turkey sandwich on rye for lunch, and fairly healthy dinners.

my biggest problem is i strongly dislike most fruits and veggies. ;p but i'm pretty fond a few select things (oranges, corn, apples, carrots, etc), so maybe i'll stock up next time we go grocery shopping.

anyway, my mom went away to vegas for the weekend and said i looked a lot thinner, so maybe it's working! :D

chewie: gym at mcc sounds like a good idea, except i'm starting to get a full schedule with my 4 classes and now doing volunteer work backstage on the play (i start tomorrow), so i'll see after that how much time i'm left with.

hopefully my body will be overwhelmed by the massive amounts of activities i'm doing (compared to my usual life of internet - video games - sleep), and i'll just start losing. at the very least, i feel much better. sleepy only cause i stay up til 3 every night, not cause i don't have the energy to do anything.

here's more good luck to everyone! *throws luck* :)
  16. Mobius Jedi Padawan

star 4
    To those of you altering your diet: My boss went on the high-protein/low-carb diet(aka the Atkins diet) about 9 months ago. He eats the allowed foods at several intervals throughout the day, not in three-meal-a-day chunks. In the last 9 months he's lost about 80 pounds. It's absolutely amazing.

To Sistine: My sister also has fibromyalgia. In basic layman's terms, think of it as arthritis in your muscles, instead of the bones. It causes pain, fatigue, and excess muscle tension. In extreme cases, it can be so debilitating that the afflicted person cannot move at all without excrutiating pain. My sister has it pretty bad, and I cannot comprehend the amount of pain she is in on a daily basis. Unfortunately, very little is known about it at this point, and there is no cure-all approach to treatment. It appears to be set off by different things in different people.
  17. PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    jupitertronic - Just in case youdidn't know, corn is not a vegetable, it's a grain and filled w/ carbs (not the good kind either). Oranges are also filled w/ sugar (yeah it's the natural kind, but it can cause spikes in your insulin to bloodsugar ratios). I've been told that Apples are the best fruit to keep things in balance. I make a little fruit salad w/ different kinds of apples and some unsalted dry-roasted peanuts. It's actually pretty good, and if you use some Fruit Fresh on it, it lasts for a couple of days.
  18. kreleia Jedi Knight

star 5
    Okay, I'm currently at the end of day 2 in my ketosis. [face_plain] One more day to go.

Rob and I signed up at Well-4-Life. It's a center that basically teaches you how to eat all over again. pfff! hee hee - that sounds odd. No, I mean, it teaches you how to look at good natural foods and re-program your taste buds. No "special food" (ala Jenny Craig - ICK!!). It's actually a full year program, although the weight-loss part is at the very beginning. :)

So, ketosis is a 3-day "cleansing" program that jump-starts your system. You eat nothing but raw greens and meat (and water, obviously), and thus overload on protein. It forces your body to start processing and using all of the stored carbs and sugars already there. Lemme tell you, though, the carb cravings are MONSTROUS!! Sheesh!! I've never wanted a piece of bread so badly! [face_laugh] Thing is, today was slightly easier than yesterday, and tomorrow we go get weighed in to see how well it worked (not that we're expected to shed more than a pound or two doing it).

So, tomorrow, barring any further illness or bad that-time-of-the-month headaches (which I hopefully got over today), I'm going to re-start my Pilates workouts. Yay!!
  19. MexChewie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    This article deals with the types of foods you should eat.[link=http://www.testosterone.net/articles/172food2.html]http://www.testosterone.net/articles/172food2.html[/link]

This article addresses the misconception of fruit and it's impact on insulin.
    [link=http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_95forbid.html]http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_95forbid.html[/link]

BTW, I am down 3lbs. But more importantly, my pants are looser that I need a belt again! :D Small victories add up.

Kristie: There are some good products out there that help you deal with the carb cravings. If you can find it, a great one was MD6. Killed any cravings I had for carbs.

Been working out for 2 weeks now, in 4 weeks I will switch training programs.

20. PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    MexChewie In response to that second article, that is only mostly true. In people with any kind of metabolic irregularity, blood-glucose levels do rise and in effect triggers the insulin production, regardless of the type of sugar ingested (though fructose does show the smallest change). I went through a year and half of blood-glucose testing, and when eaten in proper quantities, with the appropriate balancing foods, there were no insulin spikes. However, when eating high sugar fruits, such as grapes and oranges, there were significant increases in insulin production. Not all fruits suffer from this effect. Typically, the fruits with a higher fiber level are not subject to this phenomenon (apples & some pears being the most common).

My best suggestion is to not take what some study says as gospel, because (as I am sure some others can back me up on this) a study can be made to conclude whatever that researcher wants it to. Try things out for yourself and talk to your doctor if you're concerned.
  21. Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well, a few of us RMFFers are going for a little hike today. Couple of hours and romping through the foothills and then it's off to see TTT

That reminds me. Time to do some thread bumping here in the PFF. Anyone want to do some hiking?

Keeping on the move REALY works wonders. You really have to work at in the beginning, but once you keep at it, it's hard to stop. When I was working out, I just couldn't sit still. To much energy.

Weight loss or fat burning comes down to one basic element. Calories in vs. Calories used! A person on the move all the time will be using calories just sleeping because it's always rebuilding the tissues and muscle fibers in the body. (Hence the need for high carb drinks for body builders)

Sugar has 9 cal./gram and protein has 5/gram. So if you eat a lb of protein, you get fewer calories then a lb of high carb items. The body's cravings are a sign it wants something, Salt, sugar, etc. Sugar is easier to burn then protein. So some discipline is needed for those high protein diets.

Don't forget that fat is comprised of a few basic components (I don't know which but I read about it somewhere). Those fat free foods have some of those elements, but not all. Therefore, legally they can claim low or no fat. But other fat free items might have the some of the other components. Your body will grab all of them , put then together, and make it into fat if you don't burn that energy quickly enough.

If I'm wrong let me know but that's what I understand of diets, weight loss, and/or strength training.
  22. MexChewie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    As I understand it, Carbs and Protein both use 5 cal/gr while Fat uses 9 cal/gr. Sugar and Carbs are the same judging from the same reaction of both inside the body. But not all calories are the same. Eating 1400 calories of cheesecake is different from 1400 calories of apples. Both may be 1400 but the reaction will be completely different.(Personal experience on the cheesecake thing ;) :p)

I agree with your assesment PZoo about how studies can be found to back any argument. I like this study because of the incorrect beliefs of extremely low carb advocates towards fruit. Of course going over board with anything will cause a negative reaction on the body, which is why moderation is the key. Plus taking certain fruits in the morning is advantageous to halt the catabolic process of sleep toward muscle recovery.
  23. Sistine Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Figure I have to eat...so with my final check I have paid rent and went grocery shopping. My friend with went me...poor thing. I am an avid coupon - deal seeking shopper. My total came to just over $200.00 (Mother Sistine's cabinets were bare) after the Vons club discount, 5% off discount coupon my friend gave me and my clipped coupons I saved $71.00...this girl can shop!

Lot's of fruits, veggies and chicken. Yogurt, cereal and skim milk. Trick is since I am home is not to eat out of lack of things to do...so I have cleaned, started painting again and going to attept to learn my new sewing machine. Not to mention I am going to work on the cars. Funny, when I moved to SD I was overweight and un-employed. I lost 35 pounds just doing 'stuff'. When I went to work...I gained some of it back...hmmmmm. So this 'time-off' is a good thing I guess.
  24. jupitertronic Jedi Youngling

star 3
    well, i've lost a pound (eh), but i tightened my belt 2 notches! :D i also noticed i sort of have a neck now. whee! and my arms aren't quite as bulky (always a good thing).

went to the grandparents' place and they both noticed i looked thinner too. yay! all i've really been doing is drinking as much water as i used to (read: a crapload of water) and walking at school (30 minutes 3 times a week). and twice this week i've walked *after* school too, around my neighborhood for about 30 minutes. today i slacked off on yoga, but i walked around the neighborhood and wasn't feeling well anyway, so i should be okay, i think. gotta rest every once in a while anyway. :)

egads, i'm nearly enjoying this whole active lifestyle thing! ;)

edit: correction... just weighed myself, and i've lost 2 pounds! with all my meals still in me, no less. hooray!!! :D
  25. MexChewie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    This came from a newsletter from Dave Draper:

[image=http://davedraper.com/daveplate2.jpg]

Concealed as one of them, wearing a distressed face and lifting belt, I
    watch the procession of recommitted trainees and first-timers from a bench
    in the corner of the gym floor. A young girl, not yet 20 and wishing she
    were invisible, wanders over to the cable machine and curiously pushes a
    dangling handle. She stares, as the thing swings and jangles, and wonders
    what it does beyond that.

I can't help myself. I imagine the dear girl has taken one of the most
    important steps of her life -- entered the land of physical fitness -- and
    has concluded that, instead, she is in alien territory amid grimacing
    faces, clanging machinery, thuds, grunts and groans, with an exit less
    than 25 feet away -- a brisk walk to freedom.

"But that's not freedom," I want to call out, blowing my identity, "That's
    not liberation, that's captivity. That's enslavement." The world without
    exercise and muscle and strength and right eating is barren, lonely,
    pointless and fruitless. It's difficult, dangerous and demanding. It's
    exhausting. We need to prepare ourselves, develop our personal resources
    and be our best. Someone must tell her, now, before it's too late. I
    stand, run my fingers through my hair, adjust my thick belt and hasten to
    her side. She flinches when I grab her by the shoulders and blurt out,
    "Don't go."

[link=http://www.davedraper.com] www.davedraper.com [/link]

Moderators: DieWompRatDie
Thread Status: