main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Weird Al

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by FaceLoran, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceLoran

FaceLoran Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 1999
    Thanks for posting that, Brent!

It's pretty good, especially the interview with Eminem! [face_laugh] I loved when they just sat and listened to "Couch Potato" cause Eminem wouldn't let him do a video for it.

2. pinata242

pinata242 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    So I watched this last night and loved it too. The Eminem interview was a riot, know what I'm saying? I especially liked the video for Angry White Boy Polka, that was awesome.

I felt like such a fool when they played the video for Bob. I never much cared for that song on the album, it didn't make much sense. I thought it was just a weird poke at Bob Dylan. The video was done in an "INXS-esque" style with Al holding up signs of all the lyrics. They're all palindromes. What a fool am I. Lisa Bonet ate no basil. UFO Tofu. Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.

It couldn't be more obvious now. This from a guy that They Might Be Giants is a favorite band and they have "I Palindrome I". Needless to say, I have a newfound respect for that song, even if it's still hard to listen to :)

3. FaceLoran

Oct 10, 1999
    Actually, that "INXS-esque" style was created by Bob Dylan for what is considered to be the first music video ever, for his song "Subterranean Homesick Blues". This was the video that AL was parodying, as he was dressed just like Bob Dylan was, and his drummer was dressed as poet Allan Ginsburg, who appeared in Bob Dylan's video.

INXS also copied the "cuecard" video style in the 80s, and Weird Al actually parodied that video too, as well as a plethora of other videos, in the video for "UHF".

4. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    Shows what I know :)

5. FaceLoran

Oct 10, 1999
  6. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    Already had and wanted to talk with you about that :)

7. MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002

MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2002
    Nine days and counting! Would any or all the people planning on going to the concert want to go out for a bite to eat before it starts, WAY before it starts so we can get good parking spots, we have good seats already :D.

8. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    Hey, we like to eat too! Food sounds good, got any place in mind?

9. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    Any thoughts? Billy? Kenzi? Shelbi? Zach? Anyone?

10. FaceLoran

Oct 10, 1999
    None here. I'm good for anything.

11. MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002

Nov 2, 2002
    Well $**t, I forgot that my parents had to work that day. My mom doesn't get home til like 5:00. They let the general addmission people in at 6:00. Now, thats not a problem concerning seats, but it is a problem concerning parking. I'd suggest the Golden Corral on 21st and just east of Memorial, that way we can all get what we want and as much as we want, within reason. If we could meet there at like 5:30 or 6:00, we could eat fast, then just take 21st street all the way to the Riverparks Theater. What do ya think?

12. Tug-The-Intolerable

Tug-The-Intolerable Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2003
    hey i already bought my tickets... Are you guys seats or general admission? Maybe i can meet you guys somewhere.

13. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    We got a block of tickets in reserved seating so we won't be in GA very much unless that's where the bathrooms or merch stands are :) However, you should be able to find us at our seats. We'll be front row, center :)

14. MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002

Nov 2, 2002
    Ok guys and gals, have we made a decision on if we are going to meet somewhere? I worked the problem with my mom out, so we will be able to meet at golden corral. Speak up if your going so we can watch for you and save you a seat!

15. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    I think the wife and I will just grab something quick before the show. It's going to be tight as-is to get from Owasso to Sapulpa to drop off the little one then back to anywhere to eat comfortably before the show. Especially since we have to work all day. Have fun! See you there.

16. gw2tulsa

gw2tulsa Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    Well, I just found out that we are going to this concert tonight... Whooo hoooo

Ends up Bree won some tickets this morning off the radio :)

We'll be running around this evening at the show. Just look for the goobers in the Superman T-Shirts...

-Gary Weaver II

17. MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002

Nov 2, 2002
    Glad to hear more of us can go. Where are your seats located so we can look for you?

18. FaceLoran

Oct 10, 1999
    Because Brent wanted it, here is the setlist for the concert tonight, minus the video intros and segues.

Angry White Boy Polka
    Party At The Leper Colony
    Your Horoscope For Today
    A Complicated Song
    Melanie
    One More Minute
    Dog Eat Dog
    It's All About The Pentiums
    Wanna B Ur Lovr
    Trash Day

Medley:
    Money For Nothing/ Beverly Hillbillies
    Jerry Springer
    Jurassic Park
    Free Delivery
    eBay
    Theme From Rocky XIII
    Ode To A Superhero
    Lasagna
    Pretty Fly (For a Rabbi)
    My Bologna
    Gump
    Eat It

Smells Like Nirvana
    Amish Paradise
    Couch Potato
    Fat

Encore:

The Saga Begins
    Yoda
    (with new Yoda chant)

19. IMAXPoe

IMAXPoe Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2003
    So for all of us losers who couldn't go, how was the concert?

20. MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002

Nov 2, 2002
    I'll put it this way Heath, I havn't had that much fun in a LONG time. I had a blast. He came down and walked around in front of us, and he gave Brent's wife a hug. I would've stayed to get his autograph, but my parents were being evil. But I still had an awsome time.

21. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    I would have to say she stole that hug. She remembers it differently, however :)

I had a blast too. I haven't had that much fun at a concert in a long time. A long time... Then again, I haven't been to many concerts in the last few years.

22. pinata242

Apr 29, 2002
    Awesome news from the Q&A section:

Randy of Albuquerque, NM asks: I have been trying to find the DVD called ??Weird Al? Yankovic: The Videos? and I understand it is out of print. Will it be available in the future?

The bad news is, yes, that particular item has in fact gone out of print and will most likely remain in that condition for the rest of eternity. The good news is, we?re currently putting the finishing touches on a brand-spanking-new and completely up-to-date DVD called ?The Ultimate Collection.? It will have 24 of my music videos, plus a photo gallery, on-screen lyrics and 5.1 surround sound. And we?ve even ?cleaned up? some of the older videos a little bit ? they look great. Anyway, we?re trying to rush-release this for a September 22 street date in Australia. The North American release will most likely be sometime in November.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.