main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Weird Problem With Premiere 6.5

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Dexx, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dexx

Dexx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2003
    I have been having a problem with Premiere 6.5, occasionally when im scanning through a file in the timeline window my entire computer restarts itself, its not the file because its happend with other files before.
    Can anyone help?

I'm running Windows Xp Pro, Amd XP 2400, 512 DDR Ram, 64mb Geforce 4, 2 hard drives, one 120gb 2mb buffer, the other 80gb 8mb buffer (don't know if that helps),and im working with DV files.

2. Dexx

Jan 4, 2003
    Ok, now I after my computer started up I tried to open the file i was working on (Premiere Project File), and its telling me that it can't open because the file is either locked, file-protected or corrupted.

What's going on?

3. GoreLord

GoreLord Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2000
    Does it ever do this with other programs, or jst Premiere?

4. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    Well, I tried to follow best I could, and I believe I have had the exact same problem so here's the steps I took to resolve it. Sorry if it's a little lengthy.

Our footage which resides on DV tapes are captured and stored on CD-Rs. Right now there are three master sets of discs. I can import all the footage from a set to an HDD or have the discs handy when using one of the project files associated. A while back i only imported footage as I needed it due to space constraints off of CD.

My specs were Win XP - 40 gig HDD - 1.3 AMD - 512DDR mem - Premiere 6.5 when the problems with premeire started.

Now slowly but surely i experienced an issue with the footage that when i dropped a DV file into the timeline from the harddrive, as soon as I clicked on the monitor or scrubbed the timeline, the PC would either reboot or memory dump. It boggled me to no end. I searched for answers, replaced memory, formatted the HDD, checked for blown capacitors on the MB, to no effect. The issue would only happen with certain DV files off of the CD's copied over. I then simply tried erasing the file from the HDD and recopying from the CD. Dropped it into the timeline and it was fine from then on.

Now the other factors in this is that my cd writer is very sketchy - it drops off the bus if it is not used within 30 minutes of a hardboot, and now and again it wont read some of the burned discs at all unless I reboot. Aside from that, I never had Data Verifications done on the burns to CD to save time since there are hundreds of backup footage discs to do.

This is my theory - if you import a file from cd and it has any type of crc error or a single bit of corrupt data, premeire will be unforgivable in the instance and have to reboot when scrubbing or reading the file. It has to be perfect. Apps like AE or win media player (which is nothing but boggy since I installed 9.0) are more forgiving I guess and can compensate for most kinds of corruption and continue.

In my mind I think its either my cd player or my hardrive, since the discs mostly come up fie on a mac, but i just got a 250gig hdd to rule out the old 40 gig as a problem. Your issue/factors may be different, but hopefully I have given you some things to look for. Could also be your harddrive, your swap file may be on the same partition, try defragmenting and what not - let us know what you find out.

you may want to try technical support as well since I am no adobe pro.

5. Dexx

Jan 4, 2003
    THe problem only occurs with Premiere.

Thanks for the help scudknight, it's weird because both of my hard drives are brand new. I checked the video files that im working with and it said they have fragments on them, Im going to defrag them and see if that fixes my problem.

Also, I only have Virtual Memory set on my C drive, would it be wise to set it on my E drive were I capture all my footage?

6. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    I think I may be confusing the "Win page file" and what premiere refers to as a scratch disk. to my knowledge - you may want to set your premeire scratch disk to a partition other than the one the program is stored on. the drive with the footage would be wise. As far as your page file, you may want to refer to a site like blackviper.com for your personal needs as far as Xp goes.

IMO since there are frags in the footage, try deleting and reimporting first, then defrag the hdd to get it nice and neat.

best of luck.

7. GoreLord

GoreLord Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2000
    Dexx, have you installed any additional codecs, like MJPEG to your system?

8. Dexx

Jan 4, 2003
    Dexx, have you installed any additional codecs, like MJPEG to your system?

Nope...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.