main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

weird responses you get when buying figures

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Orange_Sith, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange_Sith

Orange_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2002
    has anyone ever gone to a toy store bought a couple of figures and had people strare at you becasue your older than 7 years old( average age before kids lose interest in toys, or had the clerk give you weird responses? i dunno mabye im just weird

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    lol, on the K-Mart half-off sale 2 weeks ago or whatever, I (a 16 year old) bought 5 figures there. :D

Okay, so I did feel a little weird. :D

[image=http://bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~

3. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Really, I don't get any weird looks. I guess it's because when people see me with something, they assume I'm getting it for my kids (though I don't have any).

4. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I've never had any strange looks while buying figures, but I always do when buying cat food for my kitties. :(

5. Orange_Sith

Jul 7, 2002
    ya but i(a 13 year old) i stand in line with little kids and talk about the quality of the figures,

once at Wal-Mart, to get the Dooku figure, i knocked over i six year old, after that some stupid nosey person came up to me and tried to give me the card of a good phsyciatrist

its not easy being a geek.......

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    ^^^ I hope you're exaggerating or making that up. [face_shocked]

[image=http://bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~

7. lordmack

lordmack Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2002
    The wal-mart empolyees stare at me like I'am crazy, when they see me looking furiously through the pegs, I don't blame them. :D

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I just tend to get stared at a lot... :(

9. lordmack

Jul 5, 2002
    Princess_tina, I feel your pain too, at wal-mart the employees can't stop stareing because have been seen there like 500 times, and the way I attack the pegs you would think I'am some sort of wild animal.

10. Orange_Sith

Jul 7, 2002
    i my myself usually knock everything off the pegs and shelves and there is always a big pile there, once some weird employee made me put everything back on the shelves
    but i got my revenge......
    i put all the pegs on wrong way and "accidentally" hid some things randomly around the store

11. Yoda_Windu

Yoda_Windu Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2002
    well, I kinda just speed walk though the store when I have the figures in my hands, so no one will stare at me. But the chasier usually does give me a funny look or 2.

12. ThePostman

ThePostman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    NO NO NO I have the best story

I finally found Chewbacca, Djas Puhr, and Palpatine at retail and while I was rejoicing and picking up the figures a woman that looked to be in here forties says to me.

"Arnt you a little old for this"

I replied with "No, not really"

She said. "How old are you?"

"19" I replied

"That is way to old to be buying toys" she said as I walked away and grumbled under my breath.

I heard her say to her son "He was 19" as I walked away. I just wanted to beat her down.

13. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    I have never had a problem with anybody when shopping for toys...actually I prefer to call them 'action figures' (politically correct term) HeHe
    :D

~ICeBReaKeR
    His abilities have made him...arrogant

14. Oro_Iri2

Oro_Iri2 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2002
    well once at some wal-mart a couple times over there was a big display of star wars EPII figures and ships, i took the anakin hangar duel a near the bottom, obviously it toppled over me and i sat there with people pausing around to look at me while i had star wars merchendaise all over me, after that i stodd up, bought the figure and left, they never made another display.....

15. lordmack

Jul 5, 2002
    The cashiers look at you the most, especially if have alot figures.
    I just don't like people who stare, It feel s like you want say what ### are you looking ?.

16. Oro_Iri2

Oro_Iri2 Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2002
    and if u cant find the figure ur looking for and u ask an employee to go check the back, and if they dont come back with it dont insist that you need to go check yourself,

ive only been let back there once,
    ive asked many many times

17. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    Just say,"some people need to learn to mind their own (add off-color word of your choice) buisness". It just might work :D.

18. lordmack

Jul 5, 2002
    Yeah, employees are a little funny about letting you go in the back of the store, I'll asked thousands of times too, and they give me some weak excuse. You really have know someone to go to the back of the store.

19. jawamonkey

jawamonkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    *bought 17 figures the reek three ships and two star wars video games once .. some kids tried to raid my buggy and the cashier looked at us funny .. not only because im a girl but my gramma was there too.. but gramma gave her dirty looks and she didnt say anything :D .. someone in the next aisle though said "thats a lot of star wars stuff .. probably scalpers" .. hurt muh feelings

20. QuiGonTodd

QuiGonTodd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Postman sux to hear that I always think that is going to happen to me. I(18 years old) have never had any negative comments yet but im sure that they will be a comin sooner or later

21. DAKAI_SERAKI

DAKAI_SERAKI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    Postman, I feel your pain. I hate nozy&mean/snobby&mean people!

22. Ky2-D2

Ky2-D2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002
    Some people have looked at me and sometimes I give them a look back like "I know, I know" which makes us both smile but nothing too negative has come out of people's mouths. The Customer Service at Wal-Mart and TRU have become like friends to me, a 14 year old boy, they answer some questions before I ask. I agree that the cashiers are the ones to give most of the looks.

23. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I get weird looks all the time. But there was one funny time. The greatest day of my collecting career, when I found Yoda, Dooku, and HD Anakin in the same trip. I took the 3 figures to the register and the girl gave me a weird look because I was 18. This was the scene.

Girl: Aren't you a little too old for toys?

Me: No, no you got it all wrong. These are for my kids.

Girl: (Look of greater shock)What? You're a teenager.

Me: Just kidding. (Laughs)

The girl probably thought I was a nutcase, but it was a funny scene.

24. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Being 21, sometimes I get funny looks. I was in Toys R Us back in June and some friends and I were having a gun fight with Jango Blasters and Droid Blasters... some people gave us some one sided smiles, and we even got some youngsters to join in on the fun. But I think most people know. They know what Star Wars is and how seriously some people take it. I see people older than me buying figs, but people just kind of accept it because it's Star Wars.

25. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    The only times I have ever been stared at or felt weird when buying Star Wars merchandise is at the 1st day releases of the figures/vehicles. The employees of the stores seem baffled that a bunch of older "kids" would be lined up so damn early to buy what they consider toys. Oh, if only they knew.......... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.