main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

weird responses you get when buying figures

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Orange_Sith, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    I usaly go with my little brother, so I get comments on how good a brother I am :D

2. darthspino

darthspino Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Wow, I must be the only one to get no weird looks or anything.When I was getting some SW stuff with my parents at Wal*Mart the cashier was talking to us about how he regrets getting rid of all his vintage SW stuff when he was younger.We also met a dude that stocks merchandise, and he was asking me if I saw certain figures and stuff.We also talked to him about Midnight Madness and he said there were alot of people when he was working that night.
    I think that people dont give me looks cause im 15 years old and 6 foot 5 inches tall ;)

3. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I honestly try to go to registers that aren't being manned by really hot girls. Older people don't care.

4. Grand_Theft_Jedi

Grand_Theft_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002
    The only weird reply I get when I get figures is that they ask me for money. What is this?!?

Cashier: That'll be $10.48 please.
    Me: What?!?! What makes you think I'll give you money for these?!?! *walk out indignantly* :D

Seriously, I really don't get too many strange looks here, except when the cashier is a student at my school. Fortunately, there's only one.

5. lordmack

lordmack Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2002
    Yeah I see what you mean, If the cashier is hot girl, and they see you with tons of action figures, they think to their selfs what a geek. :D

6. AOTCStarwchic

AOTCStarwchic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2002
    Not really but when my friends come over and see my Star Wars stuff their all like okay,whatever,and ask questions like "Why do you like Star Wars so much?" but no.To answer your question sometimes I might feel a little wierd if I see my friends or a younger kid about 6 or 7 and give me a strange look like "Okay?." (I'm 13 so it doesn't bother me that much")

7. orangerful

orangerful Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    see if I were a cashier and I saw a guy coming up with the hard to find star wars figures...I'd start hitting on him. Maybe you should take some chances. perhaps the hot girl in aisle 5 is a huge star wars fan but she's afraid to tell anyway.

The best story i have is when I found my Playskool figures at Hot Topic. It was amusing to walk up to the check out desk populated by 2 goth chicks with lots of piercings and put my purchase on the counter and have them say

"oh they are sooooooooo cute!! oh my gaw!"

yeah, sorta ruined their image for me hahaha.

KitFist0 - little brother decoy is very helpful, until you get home and have to convince him that half the toys are still yours! :)

8. camisa

camisa Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 20, 2000
    after i was home a week in july recovering from surgery i went over to wal-mart and treated myself to about 7 figures at one time. the clerk said to me "you must really like star wars". that was a no brainer.

9. ThePostman

ThePostman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    What people dont realize is that men between the ages of 18 and 45 are the most likely to buy action figures.

Stupid Intollerant people.

10. ThePostman

ThePostman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Yeah my friend and I bought the Darth Maul lightsaber and we were walking through the mall and we saw these really hot chicks. I was carrying this big KB TOYS bag and the lightsaber was sticking out so I looked at him and said...

"Boy I sure hope little Timmy likes this gift."

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I timed it perfectly, it was really funny cause they just looked at me. They probably still thought I was a loser.

11. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Yeah, they probably know you are lying. I just can't stand when I'm looking at stuff and some parent comes up with a 5 year old kid looking at the same stuff. The parent would look at me like I was worse than Hitler. Whatever.

12. Yoda_Windu

Yoda_Windu Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2002
    I just got back from buying 4 figures right now, and my sister was with me, and all she did was make fun of me the whole time. then when I got to the cashier, the chasier asked who the star wars fan was. and my mom made me look like a little 5 year old by saying I play around with them.

this get very annoying.

13. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    She should have said " No one, we're burning these in sacrifice to Tolkien."

14. lordmack

Jul 5, 2002
    Yeah, you do get little smirks from people when they see you with a bunch of kiddie toys, they probably think you are some kind of freak playing with action figures.

15. Klier-Maul

Klier-Maul Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2002
    I have gotten some really mean coments from cahiers at Walmart, but I just ask to talk to a manager and watch the cashiers' face turn white! The cashiers at target and tru always tell me when they are gonna get new shipments in.

When a person makes a snide comment to you when you are in the starwars section: Yell "No I won't make out with you!!" and watch them run away while their face turns bright red.

16. InsolentFury

InsolentFury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    hehe. Once at Wallmart the cashier mustve been a collector because i bought Luke Bespin and Kit Fisto and heasked me if was gonna get Vader(i already had). Then he started telling em about the Wallmart exclusive with the tie bomber and stuff. Although i think people in line behind me we giving us starnge looks.

17. QuiGonTodd

QuiGonTodd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Finally got a rude remark from this lady at wal mart she said-
    lady- why would you be wasting your money on toys
    me- why does it upset you
    lady- yes
    me- well thats why im doing it!!!! :mad:

18. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    If there wasn't a law against beating people up in public, I'd just kick the crap out of these strangers who think I should change my life.

19. Darth_Crono

Darth_Crono Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2002
    Just today i got a wierd look from the cahier at Wal-Mart when i was buying my Bespin Luke. The employees also look at me wierd when I flip through the pegs looking to see if there is even one single solitary Dooku or Yoda. I also get looks for looking behing all of the big stuff for anything someone may have hidden.

Sometimes if there are a lot of people around, I fake that I'm looking for a gift for my little brother. However, the employees at Wal Mart and Toys R Us know me by now, and that excuse only works on complete strangers.

Every time I go in they are like " No we don't have any Dooku, no we don't have any Yoda, no we don't have any hangar duel Anakin" I don't even need to ask

20. lordmack

Jul 5, 2002
    If spend a lot of time in wal-mart like I do, you begin to get to know employees, and maybe that's a good thing.

21. Yoda_Windu

Yoda_Windu Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2002
    I went to wal-mart again today topick up 2 more figures, and nobody gave me any smircks or anything. whne i walk out of the store I felt so happy!!!

22. Akela9

Akela9 Jedi Master

Jul 11, 2001
    Wow. After reading all these posts I suppose I should consider myself lucky. I've don't recall ever having anyone say anything negative to me about any Star Wars merchandise purchases, including cashiers. I don't really know if I get funny looks. Since I don't care what people think, I don't look at them to see if they're looking at me!

I did have one very nice encounter at my Toys 'R Us a few years ago. While standing in line at the checkout, I noticed an older lady in another line looking at my merchandise. Eventually she asked me if I was a collector. Turns out she was trying to buy the correct figure for her grandchild and didn't know the difference between them, and wanted my help. We had a very nice conversation and I was able to help her out.

And just today at K-B Toys, the clerk was very friendly and approached to see if she could help me find the figure I sought. Very nice and helpful. Finally, today at two different Toys 'R Us stores, clerks approached me and were very friendly, asking if I was finding everything OK.

I'm 33, so I think it's pretty obvious to other people in the stores that I'm a collector. And yes, I do sometimes look through every figure on every peg. I need Yoda!

The only other thing I'll say about this is that frequently cashiers say, "You must like Star Wars" or something similar when I arrive at the register with 15 figures. (Duh!) But they're always friendly about it.

23. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Good for you Yoda_Windu, that's gotta be a good feeling knowing you have been accepted. Well, we'll probably never be accepted.

24. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    KitFist0 - little brother decoy is very helpful, until you get home and have to convince him that half the toys are still yours!

orangerful - Half ? All ! :D seriously he isnt in to Star Wars or action figures, so I guess Im in the clear ;)

25. RangerPrincess

RangerPrincess Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hmm. Do I get weird looks? I look old enough, people think I'm buying for my kids. The cashier doesn't say or show anything, just as a blank expression, look like their waiting to get off of their job.

Since I'm a female, yes, sometimes. These two boys, looked about 11 or 13 starting laughing, saying Star Wars is *not* for chicks. Gave them 'a look' and just showed him my HD Anakin, saying, I have it and you don't. And ran to go pay for it. Yes, the look when their laughter stop and their jaws dropped was indeed priceless. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.