weird responses you get when buying figures

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Orange_Sith, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    I hate to say it, but the only places where I get friendly looks and advice are scalper stores. It's because they understand collecting.
  2. jango_joe Jedi Master

star 4
    um yeah
    and they are robbing u blind
  3. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, i've gone to the same collector store for over 10 years, and I have become good friends with the owner. He gives me good deals.
  4. Orange_Sith Jedi Knight

star 3
    what is your defenition of a good deal?
  5. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, he would knock off a specific amount of money because he considered me his best customer. Still expensive, but I wouldn't lose as much of my life savings. 8-}

99.9% of scalpers suck, though.
  6. kowikan_monkey Jedi Knight

star 2
    nice sweet awesome cool deal!
  7. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I often get weird looks when buying toys, comics, or CCG cards when people ask if I am getting the items for my son, and I reply, "No they are for me."

When Dooku was hard to find on the shelves back in May, when I found one I started literally jumping up and down for joy. You can imagine the looks I got for that. Also, in order to find a Luke and Vader Bespin I had to get two shopping carts and empty all the figures from this huge bin into the shopping carts in order to find the two figures I wanted at the bottom of the bin. *More weird looks*
  8. Cryil-Vald Jedi Knight

star 1
    I really dont get many weird looks, or i dont notice them if i do, and i buy alot of toys, almost half, if not more of my paycheck is divided amoung star wars lego's, or a star wars action figure i want, or Zoids, or Gundam, or star wars refrence books and comics..but it doesnt bother me, or my parents surprisingly
  9. AnakinWisler Jedi Master

star 4
    When I got my first Interactive R2, I started jumping and cheering with joy. At the time the store was very busy. Many of the people walking by stopped and were staring at me as of I were some crazy person.
  10. LoneGungan Jedi Padawan

I know what you mean Mara Jade fan. I get the worst looks here in Houston. Yeesh I got the Deluxe Jango Fett at wallyworld and I swear that they thought I was on something illegal. My mom and I talked about meeting Temeura the whole time and how it would have been great to have had him sign this at the time. The lady finally looked me dead in the eye, "THese are for you?"
    Motioning to several SW toys and Jango himself. Smiling quite evily, I told her yes and three of her co workers just turned to look and gawk. So what if I am 30? I don't want kids so why can't I be the kid? LOL.

It happened all over again in a wallyworld in Louisiana at 8:30am one morning. That was fun. I got to tell them that I had a SW hangover and this was the only thing that would cure it!!!! I love to do anything to either scare or tick someone off. Mainly it depends how they act towards me first.
  11. LittleGreenMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    From page 3, Universal Destiny I HATE walmart too but for a completely different reason unrelated to SW toys. walmart makes alot of musicians change lyrics in their music that they find offensive or they do not sell it, I do not think this is fair! I'm an Artist and HATE censorship of any kind! So I boycott walmart, which means unless I find it online I can't get any walmart SW exclusives! :mad: It's tough having principles, but I refuse to buy anything there. Just my opinion.
    Always going off topic aren't I? :D
    Only time I've gotten odd looks that I remember were at EP1 & EP2 TRU Midnight Madness sales, I spent quite a load of money those nights! I actually got a LOT more weird looks from fellow collectors last time when I gave a Luminara away(Who I really wanted bad!) to a guy who was waiting in the same area as me (where TRU employees were opening remaining boxes) half the night because I was waiting for Yoda & him Luminara! If he hadn't called out to me when he did I would have missed YODA!! :eek: I was very Greatful :D and he never found Luminara so I had to give it to him for helping me out, Felt Good! :)

Hey, anybody ever notice(Maybe they only do this in my area?) at TRU the cashier always asks for your phone #? This is usually when they know I'm a collector because I tell them EVERY time that they already have it, then I point out what I'm purchasing,SW of course, and sometimes they say "Oh, OK StarWars you come here alot" or something like that. Most know me by now though & don't ask anymore. Thank Goodness, it's SO Annoying!

And why is KB always trying to push batteries on you at check out! The batteries are RIGHT there on the counter, if you needed them(and your not retarded) you would have picked them UP! :mad:
    Sorry about the rant, I just always found these practices to be odd. Sort of on topic :D LGM shutting up
  12. Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Knight

star 3
    Older women clerks sometimes smile and seem like they are mentally shaking their head.

I also feel lile ppl are staring when I go through the pegs to find a figure I want badly - but this is how I have found several ones that seem to sell out quick!

I'm sometimes afraid to buy more than one or two items at a time - like ppl will point me out and laugh...
    (At least we here are all passionate about SOMETHING! So many people today are jaded, bored - and boring!)
  13. SithDewd Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have not brought a fig in a while but I remember this one time I was at Toy R Us. I pick up a couple of POTF@ figs that they had marked down. (Second time in two weeks that I was there) I get to the check out with my purchase and the counther girl ask me if they were for a younger relative I said no and she kinda got this surprised look on her face. She then asked me if I collect them and I said yes. I guess I do not look like the typical Star Wars fan.
  14. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Well none while I was buying figures,but I got one for when I was renting a Video Game.I wanted to get GTA 3,and this dumb ass says you have to be 17,or older to rent that game! What the hell? I`m 13,half of my games are rated M! I laughed at him,and left!
  15. evilguy24 Jedi Padawan

when I went to my local toys r us I saw some people walking out with yodas so I thought there might be some left When i go in there it turns out they have a yoda,ki adi mundi,and count dooku I felt so happy and I bought them all but the lady at the checkout couter thought I was crazy when I bought them
  16. SW_Lego_Dude Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Heres my story: I was at Wal Mart and I found a Lego Battle Droid carrier. I was thrilled to death. Jumping ,running. I went to the checkout to have this lady who looked middleaged come up to me. She said"Save those for the kids, your too old to play with them".I am over 18. I looked her dead in the eye and said" Your right, i am to old to play with these. BUT IT ISNT FOR ME!!ITS FOR MY LITTLE COUSIN!".Though it wasnt.Then she said"Well sorry, you need to be nicer though". I was livid. I said" YOU NEED TO STAY OUT OF PEOPLE'S BUSINESS!YOU DONT WANT ME ASKING YOU THE 411 ON WHERE LIVE!". Then, THEN she said"Im telling the manager". I laughed.I said"What are they going to do,tell me to stop?". I laughed some more.She said" So, what if they dont do anything to you, you deserve something bad". I said" look you freakin idiot who cant stay out of peoples business just because your upset with your life, i am not the one who came up to me and practically told me not to buy this so-". The cashier said"Sir are you going to checkout?". I said hold on. I turned to look at the lady. I said" Just a sec". I reached down, picked up a pack of airheads and said"Maybe these will shut you up". I threw them at her. Then she says,"YOU ARE SO MEAN!!". Then I say "YEP, ITS FUN BEIN MEAN TOO, ESPECIALLY IN YOUR FACE!". I ignored her and paid. But i turned around and looked at her.I said " Goodbye Bit**". Then I spit right in her face!It was the funniest thing ever! The cashier said"SIR!That is unacceptable in our store!".I turned around and said,"Thats why i am leaving". I then left. I felt so proud of myself.Thats my story.
  17. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Lego: [face_plain] I do not find that funny at all.

"I also feel lile ppl are staring when I go through the pegs to find a figure I want badly"

Dude, I KNOW! Whenever I go somewhere I leaf through EVERY single figure on the pegs and get these weird looks. :p
  18. LittleGreenMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Beat me too it Sithman [face_plain]
    Lego Dude ..... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    A little too close to the Darkside for my taste, turn the other cheek next time. Who cares what they think ;)
    BTW you're not going to be getting much SW stuff at that store anymore I bet. Watch out dude Karma's a funny thing. No offense intended, but I wouldn't feel too proud :) LGM
    P.S. Sithman I still get those looks when I'm shuffling through the pegs, I am 26 but I guess I don't think about it as much anymore. Nobody ever has said anything Nasty to me at a Toy store. Guess I'm lucky :)
    AND I'm ALWAYS honest and if asked I tell them the SW TOYS are mine & I collect them.

SW Collectors Unite AND BE PROUD OF YOUR STARWARS COLLECTING HOBBY! :D Do not hide, the other people are Never going to understand it anyway, Who cares what they think! :) Went on another rant, He He Sorry
  19. ThePostman Jedi Master

star 4
    I've come to the point where I dont care anymore...It doesnt matter what people say! Its not like you'll se them again :)
  20. Orange_Sith Jedi Knight

star 3
    ya, i get weird looks anyway

picture this: a 5"8 14 year old with brown hair, glasses, wearing a ramones tee shirt and a pair of regular jeans(god damn baggy stuff) and those old school converse shoes

then imagine him going through all the pegs like maniac, now from this i would expect lots of weird looks but they only hurt when its a hot girl
  21. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "I'm ALWAYS honest and if asked I tell them the SW TOYS are mine & I collect them."

Dude! Me too! :D I'm a 200% out-of-the-closet SW collector/fan. :D I'm actually PROUD of my geekiness, and all the girls I talk to think it's "cute" how totally obsessed I am. [face_love]

PROUD TO BE A COLLECTOR. :D
  22. LittleGreenMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    :D Yes Sithman, Everyone rise up and Exclaim I'm a SW Collector and I'm proud of it. :D

Forget about what the so called "normal" people have to say, Unless it's a Cute chick, Got to try and convert them into STARWARS collectors! :p He He

Every now & then when I'm walking through TRU on my way to the SW shelf you know what song goes through my head? "I don't wanna grow up I'm a Toys R us Kid..." He He :) Become a responsible adult, but NEVER grow up! :p ;)

Boy I've been Excitable lately! Must be that Gunship! ;) :) LGM
  23. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I just buy them! I don`t care what people think I`m proud of my hobby,and everyone else should be too. :)
  24. SW_Lego_Dude Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Sithman:It wasnt supposed to be funny. This isnt a thread for:funny stories from when you get wierd responses buying figures.And LGM,I dont let people tramp over me.I say what I want.And all those people who think geeks and crap for buying star wars stuff, they deserve it.It would be one thing if they kept it to themselves,but to be mean and say pretty much say I should put it back, is another. She could have said"Hi, so who are you buying that for?". Then I would have replied nicely. But Ive gotten to many weird looks and I get sick of it. Really, I dont mind the weird looks, but when they verbally make fun of or be mean to us for our hobby, it just aint right.
  25. evilguy24 Jedi Padawan

I got the gunshp last night at wal-mart, but the lady at the checkout was being totally nosy. I'm tired of getting strange looks when I buy stuff
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.