main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW Weird, wacky, wonderful: Stuff you found on the net

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ki-Bara-Mundi, Feb 11, 2003.

1. messicat_kenobi

messicat_kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The LJ thing is fine, friends locked is fine, coz you can't find it in a Google search.

As for your show, well, uh, we're working on it.

And yes, he does have a manager, this is why I've been asked to say all this stuff. He got one in the early hours of yesterday!

Watch ch7, 9 and 10 tonight and keep your eyes on the Telegraph and the Herald over the next couple of days. Apparently there are interviews happening today. The clip was shown on Good Morning America (it's on the front page of their website) and a few other major websites have asked to put it up.

When I left, he was writing up his free hugs sign. I hope today goes well!

2. blueberrypuffin

blueberrypuffin Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2006
    I found out about this forum looking for more info about Juan Mann and his free hugs campaign.I saw the video on youtube.com this morning and immediatly posted it on my myspace profile.I am a 26 yr old married mama with a baby on the way and this video moved me to tears this morning. It is so rare to see such a beautiful,random act such as hugging a stranger in this day and age.I live in the US and with all this terrorism crap that is being constantly rammed down our throats,a story like this is so heart warming and makes me feel good again to be a member of the human race.It is easy to hug your own family and share joy with the people around you but it takes and extraordinary human being to put themselves out there.Unfortunatly something like this would never happen in the states without them wanting some publicity or personal gain.So I wanted to say that his simple campaign of hugs has restored my faith in humanity.The song makes the video so strong aand meaningful.Thank you thank you thank you.

3. messicat_kenobi

messicat_kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post this, I really appreciate it and I know Juan does. I talked to him just before he left to go and do the free hugs for today for the first time in a long time and I am so proud of him and just so amazed at the overwhelming response to this video.

He is overjoyed that so many people are touched by this, every night when we get home, we look at the comments on YouTube and are just so amazed by this whole thing. And like I said, we are SO glad that is it bringing joy to peoples lives! It's just FANTASTIC! And we really hope people do make the effort to go out and hug strangers!

Oh my gosh, so, he's on the front page on of the Sydney Morning Herald. Article for the interested. The most amusing thing about that is comments on YouTube about where it was filmed. Lol, my "Actually, it's Sydney, Australia, Pitt St Mall to be exact" is on the freaking SMH website.

What next, eh?

4. chaz2095

chaz2095 Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2006
    Hi:
    I found also found this site while looking for more info on Juan. I just watched the video and was so moved by it. I'm a 36 yr old mom from South Carolina, USA. I'm ashamed that I would have most likely walked right past him out of suspicion he was a pervert. I would have missed out on an amazing experience. It's a shame that we have been conditioned by society to have that kind of reaction for our own safety. You have every right to be deliriously proud of your man Messi. The video & song are perfect. I love it when the color comes into play once he finally gets a hug! Best wishes to you both. I hope he's able to stretch his 15 minutes into a lifetime of hugs. :) Send him & his hugs over to our side of the pond!

5. Fiorentina

Fiorentina Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2006
    I just found you here by Googling "Juan Mann" after watching the video through a link from an ITALIAN national paper (Front page of La Repubblica http://www.repubblica.it/). (I'm in NJ (USA) but I also lived in Italy.) The video and song are wonderful, and the first little lady who gets hugged brought tears to my eyes. BRAVI!

Please thank Juan and all of the "huggers" for bringing some genuine joy into the world. Hang in there with all the attention, and just keep hugging! ABBRACCI GRATIS!! FREE HUGS!!

6. flame58

flame58 Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2006
    Hi,

Just saw the Hug video.

I belong to a ?community? (basically we?ve done a bunch of personal deveopment workshops together on the theme of ?Love and Intimacy?) who believe that healthy, respectful touch is an essential part of life...and we have thought of doing a similar this as Juan for quite a few years now...and never got around to it.

Now we feel inspired by this wonderful video!! What an incredible guy... and fantastic idea whose time has come ;-)

Why did he get banned by the Police??? And would he have any handy thoughts for sidesteppig this issue in the future??

Hugz,
    Flame58

7. flame58

flame58 Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2006
    Flame58 here again,

...basically , we would be happy to support Juan in any fun, approriate way....ie we are very experienced (respectful) HUGGERS!!

8. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    saw him today Messi, and all seemed well :) even got 2 hugs

9. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    He did or you did ?

10. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    I did. he got WAY more than 2.

11. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Logged onto LJ, went to the Illustrators community and came across this.

I can't believe the impact this is having...

12. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    On the Madboards

nearly 700 thousand views on youtube

ha, on a whim I checked Wikipedia:

link

With a bit of a rephrasing to talk about the pheonomenaon and not Juan himself they might even let it stay up.

edit: Ok, i rewrote it so hopefully it will sound more like a comment on the pheonomenon itself rather than a plug for him. Also look at this, which is a little bizarre, but ok.

edit2: Well I TRIED to rewrite it but the second half of the text is mysteriously ina box and stretched out. I dont know what the hell to do, so if anyone here can edit wikis, good luck to u :)

13. Chindelion

Chindelion Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2006
    Hello. I, like quite a few others, I see, also found you via Googling Juan Mann. A friend of mine posted the video on MySpace and I sawit for the first time today. To say I am anything less than moved and inspired would be an understatement. This is an example of humanity at its finest, in beauty and simplicity. Thank you, THANK YOU to Juan! I hope this grants everyone who sees/hears of this phenomenona the motivation and courage to share a bit of their own love!

14. flame58

flame58 Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2006
    Has anyone heard about Hug Fest in the city on Monday...as mentioend in the SMH article??

Where are people meeting?? I know quite a few people who might like to come along

15. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    Warning: Potentially offensive to over 50% of the population.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/women

16. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Holy lemur, new people!

*Waves to the new people*

17. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Shad: That was awesome. however, u have a 56% chance of being killed. good luck.

18. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    /Han voiceover

Never tell me the odds.

19. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I showed that to the girls in my office and I'm still alive. On a related note, if I'm killed by a car bomb I have a few ideas of who did it.

20. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Is there somewhere that one can download the video of Juan ??

21. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    youtube.com

Look up free Hugs

22. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
  23. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000
  24. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Speaking of which, Google has officially bought YOUTUBE for US$1.6B ...

Will be interesting to see how they deal with the fact that they are now the proud owners of a million and one copyright-infringing videos ...

25. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003