main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Welcome back! Your questions answered inside

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Sep 3, 2012.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome back to NSWFF! I hope everyone had a nice break and is ready to get crackin' on some new stories and return to old ones :D

Some initial questions to answer:

WORD LIMITS
    In case you missed the bloody huge message at the top, there is a word-limit cut-off. Everything will be OK; they're working on restoring it. Your posts are not lost. If your current chapters need to be cut in pieces and posted one section right after the other, that's fine.

EDITING A POST
    Right now, we can't make it unlimited, nor can individual boards be set differently. That will hopefully be changed. We're discussing what to do in the meantime.

TAGS
    As you will see if you visit other forums, there are tags/filters that you can sort by. We have not decided if we're instituting them here. There are not an unlimited number; it would end up being for the major fandoms and "multifandom." Feel free to share your thoughts, which Mira and I will take into consideration.

If you have any more questions, please do ask!

2. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    The only real way to use tags in this forum is not fandom tags, but genre tags (romantic, adventure, sci-fi, anima, etc.) If there was a way to allow a certain number, like 3 or so, that would be could, but the only reasonable way to do tags in NSWFF is by genre. I would think that would also be much more doable. NSWFF is not really in need of tagging for fandoms, the board is just not busy enough to warrent it. We can just keep on doing what we've always done.. start the title of the story by labeling the fandom in brackets. Tagging based on genre can be advantagous for some, if some people prefer to search through romantic stories.

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I will mention, SWFF tagged by Before, Saga, and Beyond and merged them all into one forum. They aren't doing tags by character, genre, or anything else. I"m personally not a fan of changing what we had before; it's not like NSWFF moves so fast things are hard to find.

4. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Yeah, I pretty much agree. We should just be paitent and wait until we have unlimited time to edit a post, and then we'll be able to change the title, like we've always have. The Star Wars Forum definetly needed it, even if they didn't merge... well, Beyond needed it for sure, at least. Post something in there, and eight hours later, it's off page 1. Here, you pretty much have a week of front page exposure.

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    The only major disadvantage with tags right now is that you can only apply one per thread, so it's not like you could filter to find all Romantic/Friendship/Harry Potter threads.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Precisely. And we are getting a pretty solid search soon.

7. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Wow, that was soon! The search engine is now up and it is fantastic!

8. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    What does the add countdown feature do? What can it be used for? Can't figure that out.

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'll be honest; I'm not a tech-savvy person, ad I haven't been exploring about, so I'm not sure what feature this is. The techies are answering board-wide questions here, though.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    We have unlimited editing time back!

11. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Yep, saw that! That makes archiving stories a whole lot easier!

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    The countdowns are useful in games, elections, etc.

Once we figure out how to use them, that is.

13. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Possibly for the next fan fiction awards, whenever it is decided to start that up again. I guess that feature might be useful.