main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome droideka27 and zacparis as new JCC mods!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Katya Jade, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Very very true. As a JCC mod you have to have a semi decent understand of who's in what clique, and when insults are jokes and when they are meant cruely. And believe me, that's hard to do.

And unfortunately that's the main reason why the same old accusations of nepotism/bias come back with many JCC mod promotions. To be a good JCC mod, you have to be someone who's active enough around the community and involved with enough cliques to understand the social makeup of the forum. If you're not part of the cool crowd, you probably won't be very good at moderating JCC and might want to look to another forum. Yet whenever someone cool gets promoted, some people complain it's unfair.

It's a no win situation.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > It's a no win situation.

And yet, look, 15,000,000 messages and no signs of slowing down. Praise the unstoppable juggernaut that is the JC...

3. bburditt

bburditt Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 8, 2004
    I was thinking SLR, what's wrong with him?

To me, he seems to be a better candidate than either of the two here, not to take away from anything.

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    And unfortunately that's the main reason why the same old accusations of nepotism/bias come back with many JCC mod promotions. To be a good JCC mod, you have to be someone who's active enough around the community and involved with enough cliques to understand the social makeup of the forum. If you're not part of the cool crowd, you probably won't be very good at moderating JCC and might want to look to another forum. Yet whenever someone cool gets promoted, some people complain it's unfair.

Well I hope my promotion helps to squash that theory. While I have been active in the JCC, I've chosen not to get involved with any cliques or major social groups. I still read the threads and observe what's going on, but I've never considered myself part of any "cool crowd" (I have no idea what other people think).

Of course, this has led to statements like "Who is he?" And I'm sure many people are questioning my ability to handle the dynamic social structures of the JCC. All I can say is give me a chance, the MS knew what they were doing when they promoted me, that should be reason enough to trust in my abilities. ;)

5. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    I'd like to see in the future one moderator elected by each forum..so there will be at least one mod that we cant't complain about getting promoted because 'we' promoted him/her.

I realize the complications that this would entail, but I still think it is a feasible idea.

6. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    When considering that option the key question is to ask yourself if the gains will be greater than the costs?

If the forum selects a moderator just for the sake of being able to state that they were chosen by the users and nothing more, that promotion satisfies that qualification only and could end up placing someone who isn't right for the job into the position, therefore putting the forum in a worse state than before. We shouldn't assume that because someone is selected by the users that they will be unbiased, which isn't guaranteed because everyone is biased to a certain degree, and that they will be best suited for the job because they weren't chosen because of friends they may have in the MS.

When someone is chosen in the MS, they are evaluated and selected by a number of users who are familiar with the qualifications it takes to moderate and run the forums. That in turn allows them to see those qualities in other people. On the other hand, having the forum select moderators would be doing so on the basis of popularity and not necessarily on how effectively they can perform the job.

7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    One time in the spoilers forum we did start a nomination thread and allowed people to post and PM us with mod suggestions. We thought, "Let's let the forum regulars decide." Wow. Not only did you not get good members suggested, but it was a total train wreck. I agree with the theory and it works for all things in the real world outside of an anonymous messageboard. In this environment, it's an uncontrollable disaster.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    JC Election Game.

That's about all I have to say about that idea.

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm not as familiar with zacparis as I am with a lot of other potential mods but I'll give credit where it was due and say he's quick on the mark when it comes to a troll attack (with a sense of humor to boot which is always a good thing!).

I like the idea of public Noms for mods thought for consideration...

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "I'd like to see in the future one moderator elected by each forum..so there will be at least one mod that we cant't complain about getting promoted because 'we' promoted him/her."

Wait, I thought they weren't supposed to promote people who had a lot of friends or were part of an e-clique. Surely one of those types of people would win any sort of forum-wide vote.

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    basically what KW said.

but I still think it is a feasible idea.

How do you suggest we'd make it feasible ?
    Also, do you have any candidates in mind? A few people have posted in this thread asking for those.

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    And I agree about the cliques. No sure fire better way of guaranteeing a vote by all your friends and supporters than a messageboard election.

13. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    NOTE:
    Just because someone is from 98 or 99 doesn't automatically mean they'd be a good mod.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

UKS

14. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Oh man. The JC Election game. [face_plain]

I'm not sure about now, but when I was a moderator, nominations from members were accepted. A lot of the time, they were serious about it. If a forum is telling you "hey, look at this guy.. he's kinda quiet, but always helpful and a great guy".. there's something to look at. Generally the moderators of that forum know near everyone who'd be great for a moderator, but input from the users doesn't ever hurt.

If that makes sense.

As for voting for moderators.. that idea was squashed near two years ago.. and for good reason. It's too easy to rig, campaigning would be a problem and then you have people not being themselves to try and win.

~ James

15. saerah

May 13, 1999
    Guys, hear me out before you start ranting and picking the idea apart.

The nomination process would eliminate candidates running through the popularity aspect. Candidates must be approved by the MS after the nomination process.

Perhaps a vote doesn't even have to take place...official nominations could be made. Again the MS and Administration could eliminate candidates who they feel are not qualified.

I would just like to see input from users used in some shape or form. What this entails can be discussed in an intelligent manner.

16. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Candidates must be approved by the MS after the nomination process.

wouldn't that make the whole thing kinda pointless then ?

I'm not sure about now, but when I was a moderator, nominations from members were accepted.

As I've said earlier I'm happy to accept PMs from anyone with Mod nominations for the JCC at any time.

It's not MS policy, but I personally am happy to hear from any JCC regular. You might highlight someone I've missed, or confirm my opinion of someone I think would make a good mod.

I have received a few helpful PMs - sadly not any from those most outspoken against the current promotions.

17. saerah

May 13, 1999
    Please read my edited post. I'll pull the term election. An official nomination process could be determined.

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Guys, hear me out before you start ranting and picking the idea apart.

But we've been down the road of discussing public moderator nominations before, as can be seen here, and here. Both were pre-Election game, which pretty much finished off any chance of anything more than suggestions from members ever happening.

19. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    An official nomination process could be determined.

As far as I go, that already exists. Furthermore, iirc Bria publically asked for nominations for JCC Mods in the past too.

20. saerah

May 13, 1999
    The process of promoting moderators needs to be looked at in depth. I just think changes should be made in regard to how some of the major users of the community feel. Their input is just as important as a mod or administrator.

21. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I agree.

Perhaps we could set up a special council of regular JCC posters who could advise the JC administation on some issues.

Seriously though - this is a continued derailment of a welcome thread. I suggest you start a separate defined thread on this matter so we actually can discuss these ideas.

I'd start a new thread with your opinions and ideas for discussion by everyone. There's a good chance people are missing this debate because they believe its a welcome thread.

22. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If all you want the general JC populace to do is nominate, I don't see that changing anything. Users will still nominate their friends, and the MS will most likely narrow the list down to the same few candidates that they would have came up with in the first place.

If you think someone's being overlooked, by all means, PM a mod and point it out. Mods have said that they're open to suggestions.

Edit:
    Whoops, didn't see malkie's post.

"Perhaps we could set up a special council of regular JCC posters who could advise the JC administation on some issues."

Best. Idea. Evar.

Back on topic: Congrats again, Tracy, and congrats zacparis person!

23. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Candidates must be approved by the MS after the nomination process.

Again, I respect your ideas. But if it still ends up that mods approve candidates they select from the list, it'll still have that cloud of us "picking favorites" or "friends". No matter what we've done or tried to revise and write down the rules, mods never win and we're always accused of the same basic things with nearly every promotion. I accept it as that which goes along with being a mod. So long as I know in my heart all things were without bias and I was objective, I have nothing to worry about. :)

24. saerah

May 13, 1999
    Thanks, malkie :)

25. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I've never had a problem with people PMing me with their ideas for moderator candidates. I know several of us have put that idea out there but I don't see people taking advantage of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.