main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Welcome New Visitors!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Meriwyn, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Just what the title says :) If you're new or visiting the Pittsburgh forums, post here!

2. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Greetings and Welcome! Glad you found us. New folks are always welcome, after all, each of us was new here once too

Some general information about us and what we do.

SWAP has been around several years, in its various incarnations. Our first 'official' name was actually Steel City Jedi Knights, but the Imperials, Bounty Hunters, and Scoundrals objected to that, so we became more inclusive with the name Star Wars Association of Pittsburgh. Folks were posting on the message boards before we became an official Fanforce in March of 2001. There are some photo albums that show many of the things we've done over the years.

We do a wide range of activities, but its up to you how much or how little you do. Some folks are happy just posting on the message boards and rarely, if ever, come to any of our 'real world' events. Some folks regularily attend our 'real world' events, but rarely post on the message boards. And, of course, some folks chatter away on the message boards and come to events. All three types are welcome!

For those that are interested in both posting and attending events, there is a thing called Active Status.

"Active Status" isn't really that hard to achieve or maintain. If you post on a regular basis on these boards and come to three 'real world' events over the course of six months, you become a full status member. Easy!

Events include a wide range of things. There is the regular monthly meetings, Kennywood, our annual picnic, seeing movies (see our Oakes Midnight Matinee thread), gaming tournaments, making really bad fanfilms, prop building parties, eating pie, trips to visit other Fanforces (we will get organized and get to Cleveland. Really.), IMAX, museums (we went to see the SW Smithsonian exhibit in Toledo, a long time ago), fanfiction (including an extremely elaborate EU created and maintained by our VPs), book signings, and conventions (Pittsburgh Comi-Con is a regular event for us).

Events are organized by anyone who feels like doing it. Often its nothing more formal than someone starts a thread and says "Hey, anyone want to go do this?"

Posting on the boards: This is a PG-13 board. Also, although everyone can express their opinion, we try to play nice with each other. Remember, the freedom to swing your fist ends at the other person's nose.

We also have a lovely website at www.pittsburghfanforce.com

May the Force Be With You.

3. Darth_Iratus

Darth_Iratus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Hello, I am new here and wish to join your group. I was at the ROTS premier at LOEWS and liked your presentations. I should hope to see you all at the June meeting.

4. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Welcome! Hope to see you there.

Care to tell us a little about yourself in the meantime?

5. Darth_Iratus

Darth_Iratus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Im a 15 Year old Sith Lord and I live North of the Pittsburgh area. I have been a die-hard Star Wars fan for about 5 years. When I first saw Star Wars when I was 5 or 6, I wanted so badly to be a Stormtrooper or at least have one of there helmets. When it finally hit me it was not real, I was devistated, realizing I would never experience Star Wars the way I watched it. When I heard about all of the conventions, I had a new hope. I enjoy building lightsabers and dueling with my friends. It takes three of them to beat me down. As most fans did, I attended C3 and had a blast. It was only a matter of time until I found SWAP through the guidance of a friend.

6. DeathToQui-Gon

DeathToQui-Gon Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    I just wanted to say hi. I attended the StarWars premier where you guys gave out those cards with your club info. I also wanted to thank you guys for the trivia game and prizes (though I didn't win), it was fun. I think that was a great idea for the premier.
    Anyway, like I said, Hi!

7. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    Hello and thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed the premiere events.

8. Jawa_Hunter79

Jawa_Hunter79 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2005
    I too saw your group at the premiere of Sith. I was sitting above and to you right.
    I've been busy with work or I would have joined up before now.
    Have yinz guys been seeing the movie again? I've seen it nine times.
    I guess I should tell a little about myself. My name is Jared. I'm a manager in retail sales, have been a fan all my life. I grew up with Star Wars. My parents were big fans and bought me lots of toys as a kid. I was too young to remember Empire, but can vaguely remember seeing Jedi at the movie theater. I collect the high end collectibles like Gentle Ginat busts, Master Replicas lightsabers, Code Three ships. It's expensive, but alot of fun.
    I didn't know yinz guys exhisted before seeing you at the premiere. If I had I would have joined sooner. It's cool sharing your passion with others. I went to Celebration 3 and saw thousands of fans there. That was an awesome experience. Did anyone from here go? If so did you see those cool Sith clone trooper helmets? Wow, those things were amazing. I want to get the shocktrooper one. Those were the ones with the red markings in th senate chamber looking for Yoda.
    Time for my morning meeting. I'll post more later.

9. DarkJedi059

DarkJedi059 Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    Hi. I also went to the ROTS premier. I didn't go to the Lowes Theater though. The last time I went there, I ate there chicken and a funle cake and got sick[face_sick] , plus its like an hour and thirty minute drive from my house and I had school the next day. But I did go to the Hollywood Theaters in the Washington Crown Center. It was awsome! Well I hope to see most of you at the South Park Picnic (If I go).........

10. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    What's an hour and thirty minutes? :D Just a joke as I live in New Castle and drive at least an hour for most SWAP events. I don't mind too much, though I sometimes get lost. :D

Several of us went to CIII and saw the many awsome costumes there! It's funny but I've seen so many stormtroopers and clonetroopers that I don't get that excited about it, but I should. There is no officially licensed trooper outfit that I'm aware of, and the fact that people make these things really is amazing. I know not everyone makes their own but still...

Have you been to our website? I have an essay on CIII along with some pictures. There are also some CIII threads here you can check out.

11. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Hiya and Welcome! Great that you found us!

Jawa Hunter, have you checked out our collecting thread? Anyone is welcome to share news, questions and tips in it.

12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Jawa_Hunter79, JAWAHUNTER was my original username. Kind of cool to someelse use it. :)

13. Jawa_Hunter79

Jawa_Hunter79 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2005
    What are the odds of that? Approximately 3720 to 1? That's cool I suppose. I chose my name because I like Jawas and bounty hunters. There's a cool story in "Tales of the Mos Eisley cantina" about a Jawa stricken with momentary courage. I say stricken because of what happens to him later in the story. Also, Jawa and hunter start with the same initials as my name Jared Hogan.

14. LazyDivey

LazyDivey Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2003
    Hi everyone. I live not-too-far from Pittsburgh and I noticed that your website lacks reviews for any Star Wars video games. Since I play pretty much each one of them (not concurrently)I'd be happy to write some for you if you'd like them. Drop me a PM sometime if you're interested.

15. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    That would be cool. Contact ben_ethus, although he is a bit crazy busy this month, so it might take a little bit of time for him to get back to you. Or you could just start a new thread on the message board. :)

16. The_Random_Menace

The_Random_Menace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    Hi, I live in Kittanning, PA (about an hour from pitt. if the traffic permits) and I was just wondering how I would get into the FanForce of Pittsburgh

PM me for details

17. yodasmyhomie

yodasmyhomie Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    Hi, living in Moon Township/Coraopolis. I'd also like to know how to join the FanForce in Pittsburgh.

18. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

All you really have to do to join is to hang here on the message boards, and to come to events if they strike your fancy. :)

In regards to getting a video game review posted, all you have to do is PM the review to either myself, or Rox, who can then post it on your behalf. :)

Thanks for your interest,
    Yours Truly

19. The_Jedi_Hick

The_Jedi_Hick Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2005
    Hi, im new to this board, but i have been reading others for years (The EU lit foums mainly), I dident even know this area, had enouh...umm...class to like star wars :p. Well i guess i was wronge and i am glad that i was. Well i was first introduced to Star Wars by my aunt when i was about 4 or 5, cant remember, but i have been in love with it ever since,(im 15 now). I live about 50 miles south of Pittsburgh, in a little town called connellsville. It is The Hick Capital of the world, so i know non of you would know where it is. Oh, and can someone tell me if there are any events going on and when and where they are.

Hick Out [face_cowboy]

20. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    I know where Connelsville is. There is a nice bike trail that goes through there. It's been a few years since I've been there.

Welcome to the boards. Our next event is a meeting on July 31 at the toy show in Monroeville. See the July meething thread for details.

Hope to see you there!

21. The_Jedi_Hick

The_Jedi_Hick Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2005
    poodoo.....sunday's no good, i've gotta work.[face_beatup] Oh well there is always next time.

The Jedi Hick

22. darthaxp

darthaxp Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2003
    Hello. My wife and I live in Erie, not that far from Pgh. Our families still live there, so we are down there quite a bit. I just noticed this group and thought it would be good to meet other fans in the "area".

I have been a Star Wars fan for most of my life, I'm 29 now. I have been an active collector since 1997. I wish that I could make it to the toy fair this weekend but we have to stay in town for our baby shower. We are expecting out first child in September, its a boy and she allowed the name to be Luke. My wife is not that big of a fan of SW; I feel she "tolerates" it, but since she saw ROTS she has taken an active interest in the saga.

I'm looking forward to meeting you, when you get a chance drop me a line. Thanks for having this group.

23. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    I live in New Castle. If you come down for a SWAP event, PM me and maybe we can ride together part of the way.

Congratulations on your baby boy. Enjoy your baby shower.

24. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Welcome new folks!

If you can't make the July 31st meeting, then please feel free to come to the August 20th picnic in South Park! (see threads for all the details.) We love meeting new SW people! :D

25. C_E

C_E Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2005
    Hi, im 15 from OH and have LOVED star wars sisnce i was about 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.