main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Welcome to 2001!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Mos_Eisleian_Radio, Dec 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I just want to wish everyone a very Happy New Year! Welcome to the 21st Century and the Third Millennium. And just think: It's only 506 days until the release of Episode II!

Phil

P.S. Ignore that the above time says that it's an hour and fifteen minutes to midnight. That's Pacific Time. Here in Chicago, it's past midnight.

2. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Happy New Year, everyone!

I have celebrated so far with a kiss (or few, husband only, tsk tsk for thinking otherwise), by relieving some friends of their access cash at the poker table, by not staying up later than 4 a.m. and not sleeping later than 10 a.m., and congratulating myself on having been nicotine free for 4 years as of today.

I hope to add three more items to my commemoration of this holiday before day's end. First, make a gratitude list. Yeah, this sounds like a Thanksgiving type of thing, but I think of it as a handy way to review where I'm at in my life, and it puts that review in a positive light. Second, rather than make NY "resolutions", instead just write down things about myself that I'd like to change and that I'd like to keep, and prioritize them. I'll be able to use that through the year as a guideline for whether I'm on the right path or have veered off. And thirdly, I plan on watching the movie 2001. It's too bad that we haven't reached that level in outer space, but it's a great movie. Wish I could see it in a theatre instead of on the small screen....

3. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    You can come to my place and watch it, jedigal...I just bought a big screen TV!!

4. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Things I've learned (or at least was given a refresher course in) so far this year:

1] "Free" champagne almost always means "crappy" champagne. It does _not_ mean "mandatory to drink enough of it to render Dean Martin unconcious" champagne.

2] Next year remember to eat something before going out.

3] If the cab driver can't follow your simple instructions on how to find your apartment, don't yell at him and mock his horrible driving. This only makes him drive further out of his way, and it's generally pretty cold on the Lakefront that time of night

4] If you find a glow-stick lying in the snow, DON'T PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH. I know how hard it can be to resist this urge, but you'll have to trust me on this one.

5] Being good friends with the bartender is not always a plus (see Lesson #1)

6] Old friends you haven't seen in a while showing up on a night where drinking is a traditional part of the celebration is just asking for trouble.

-Le Penguin
    "I don't know _what_ I was thinking last night... this'll take ya a couple of hours..."

5. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    I actually spent my New Year's Eve alone in quiet contemplation... could've gone out, chose not to do so. ::shrug:: However, I did toast the new millennium with a small bottle (one-person size, the kind you get at wedding receptions and such... which is, in fact, where I got this one, back in 1995), so that's all right.

No kisses, though. Maybe if I could've gone to Canada...

Thom

6. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Bonne Nouvelle Ans! or Bon Nouveax Ans! Well, that's Happy New Year in French one way or another. It's been a while since I've had French Class.
    Anyway, it really doesn't feel like 2001 to me yet, but I'm sure it will soon. I know I'll still be putting '00 for the date for a while!
    Okay, well Happy New Year in English and hope you all have a great year!
    JediGemini

7. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Let me echo all the sentiments here and add my own: HAPPY NEW YEAR, CHICAGO BOARD! Here's hoping 2001 is a great fun year for all, filled with peace and joy and even some mingling of the two together!

NYEve was fairly low-key. We went to ImprovOlympic for their NY show; it was funny stuff, but the DJ billed as playing after the show was godawful, so the evening ended on a sour note. However, the first song I heard in 2001 was "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" by the Beatles, which I'm taking as a hugely great omen with regard to my romantic future. ;)

Matt

8. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Well, I too want to wish everyone a Happy New Year! I hope everyone has a wonderful 2001. My wife and I went to some friends house, ate to much and played STAR WARS Trivia! And I won!! What a way to start the new year!

JediLars

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.